How long did it take you to claim 100 finds?

MindsEye31

Today will be my 2 month anniversary of my "member since" date 6/18/08. I actually searched for and found my first cache on 6/25/08. Currently, I have 69 finds in less than 2 months. I found my first (I think) 11 without a gps. My questions are, how many did you find in your first 2 months and how long did it take to hit 100?

Thanks for any replies!

I found 2 caches in my first 4 years of caching.

Found our first one, then waited 2 years before finding my second one. Then waited 2 more years before finding my third. We then found a few more here and there more regularly after that, so it probably took about 4 years to make it to 100.

Back when we started, caches were miles apart, plus we had a young child so it was harder to get out. Now we cache more frequently, but I wish we'd kept at it back when we started because our son loves it.

1 Out on a Limb 5/18/04 First find

100 Governor Mine 7/28/04 (71)

200 Follow the Drinking Gourd 10/29/04 (93)

300 Another Vista Point 12/22/04 (54)

400 Geo Tax 3/05/05 (73)

500 Antelope Valley Poppies & Pizza Event 4/09/05 (34)

600 Burnt Offering (Log) 7/02/05 (84)

700 Scouting's Highest Honor ~ "Mt. Baden-Powell" 11/20/05 (141)

800 the dragonfly scroll (Log) 3/18/06 (118)

900 return to scab island (Log) 7/22/06 (125)

1000 Are You Experienced? (Log) 1/20/07 (182)

1100 Throop Peak (Log) 10/15/07 (267)

1200 Bride of Propeller Head (Log) 5/22/08 (220)

I've slowed down a tad. :rolleyes:

I've slowed down a tad. :rolleyes:

KF, I was thinking you were just running out of caches within the range of a tank of gasoline. :)

Myself,

#1 8/6/2006 Tranquility

#100 4/4/2007 The Past of Dumas 241 days

#200 8/5/2007 Dark Side of the Grass - Ware 123 days

#300 1/26/2008 Such a pretty view 174 days

#400 5/29/2008 Lone Cottonwood 123 days

Currently at 468, but running out of caches along my routes that I can easily park at. Now, parking near a town and walking in for a few.

I found my first cache on 03/15/08, and I found my 100th cache on 06/04/08, so less than three months. I have not found any since then. I wanted to hide one before I passed the 100 mark but I didn't want to just hide a cache under some geopile of sticks in the woods so I ended up creating an involved cache that took over a month to get ready. At first I was going through some-kind of Geocaching withdrawal and really wanted to get out there and find a cache but it took so long to hide the first cache that I thought up some good ideas for other caches and started right in on my second cache, which I hope to place this weekend. So I don't think that my caches found count will go up until I get time in the next month or so to camp at a local forest for the weekend where there are 30 something caches hidden.

Joined in 2004, and still haven't got to 100 caches yet. Just broke 60 this month.

Of course I don't cache very often, I use my GPS mainly for backpacking trips, geocaching is something I do when I can't find a hike or backpacking trip to go on. Sometime I check to see if there are caches in the area I'm heading to but not always.

First find 10/20/2002

100th on 7/13/2008

2093 days - LOL (5.7 years to get to 100)

Yes I took a 'short' vacation from geocaching

Edit: I bet I will claim longest to reach 100 award

I got you beat! :)

1st Cache: 6/16/02

100th Cace: 7/24/08

6 years + 1 month. :rolleyes:

I took a long time off finding a cache here and there...but it gets embarassing to explain to your students about this really fun activity and when they ask about your numbers you tell them 12 or 15...they just kinda laugh. I made it a point to get over 100 before I have to go back to work next week!

Twigs

Edited by Twigs

Since I live in a fairly cache dense area, I managed 100 in 17 days and 200 in 17 more days. Now it varies a anywhere from 0 to 25 days.

Had to go back and look Started 2/21/07 and had about 380 or so by 4/21/07

Again, this is a cache rich area and I'm obsessive.

Edited by Zop

Back when we started, caches were miles apart, plus we had a young child so it was harder to get out. Now we cache more frequently, but I wish we'd kept at it back when we started because our son loves it.

In many areas caches are *still* miles apart. How fast someone gets to 100 finds is dependent on lots of variables, but from what I've seen when counting caches the most significant variable is the number of geocaches available within a given radius. In some areas one doesn't have to travel further than 3-4 miles from home to get 100 finds. For others 10-15 miles may be more common. There was a posting from someone awhile back that indicated that the closest cache to his home location was over 200 miles away, and yes, he lived in the U.S.

I've slowed down a tad. ;)

KF, I was thinking you were just running out of caches within the range of a tank of gasoline. ;)

Myself,

#1 8/6/2006 Tranquility

#100 4/4/2007 The Past of Dumas 241 days

#200 8/5/2007 Dark Side of the Grass - Ware 123 days

#300 1/26/2008 Such a pretty view 174 days

#400 5/29/2008 Lone Cottonwood 123 days

Currently at 468, but running out of caches along my routes that I can easily park at. Now, parking near a town and walking in for a few.

For me it is a lack of free time. I've got two kids, and acreage to maintain. My free time is usually occupied with house projects. I've bagged the majority of easy, nearby caches. Most of the caches to the South require all day hikes, and long drives.

th_nearest.jpg

Thanks for the responses!

I didnt think about it at the time I started the thread, but yup there would be a lot of things that would factor in to an early find count. Especially for those that started 6-7 years ago when there were not a lot to be found and, obviously, having time.

Thanks for the responses!

I didnt think about it at the time I started the thread, but yup there would be a lot of things that would factor in to an early find count. Especially for those that started 6-7 years ago when there were not a lot to be found and, obviously, having time.

When I started the top cacher in our area had 350 finds. At the time, I thought that was a mind-boggling number because I had about 40 finds after 6 months. Nowadays many people are finding 1000 in 6 months. But to me this is all like someone fishing when you are at work. Sure they catch a lot more fish than you do but it doesn't matter because when the weekend comes you'll be having fun fishing too! ;) Edited by TrailGators

July 1st was my first find. August 1st was my 100th find. So exactly one month! I didn't realize. lol Still not at 2 months yet, and have 120 finds, 10 FTF's, and 2 hides. I have a lot of ideas for more hides, and want to get back out there finding more caches but, have been really sick the last week. ;)