Garmin 60CSx Accuracy

Kriton

Quick question - I have had a 60CS for a while, and just recently purchased a 60CSx; I am usually able to get 6+- feet accuracy on the 60CS (at least according to the accuracy meter on the opening page).

The best I ahve been able to register on the 60CSx is 15-30 feet, nothing closer. When zoomed way in I have a circle around my bike or car on the maps indicating the circle of error. I have the latest SW and firmware updates, running CIty Nav 2008NT - I have left the GPS out for 30 minutes to gain the almanac, and it still has not better accuracy - any suggestions? BTW, compass is off, WAAS is enabled... This is supposed to be the "high sensitivity receiver", right?

I read the other thread on HCx inaccuracy, but I didn't find this question - any help?

Thanks!

Bruce

Quick question - I have had a 60CS for a while, and just recently purchased a 60CSx; I am usually able to get 6+- feet accuracy on the 60CS (at least according to the accuracy meter on the opening page).

The best I ahve been able to register on the 60CSx is 15-30 feet, nothing closer. When zoomed way in I have a circle around my bike or car on the maps indicating the circle of error. I have the latest SW and firmware updates, running CIty Nav 2008NT - I have left the GPS out for 30 minutes to gain the almanac, and it still has not better accuracy - any suggestions? BTW, compass is off, WAAS is enabled... This is supposed to be the "high sensitivity receiver", right?

I read the other thread on HCx inaccuracy, but I didn't find this question - any help?

Thanks!

Bruce

You don't have Battery Saver turned on, do you?

Thanks!

Bruce

The accuracy algorithm in the 60CSx tends to give higer readings than the 60CS under the same conditions, but my experience is that the 60CSx will be actually be getting better accuacy under those conditions. If you still have the 60CS, let them track side by side for maybe about 30 minutes, noting the accuracy readings and the spread of the breadcrumb trail (this works best if you are logging at a 1 second rate). My experience in this kind of test is that the accuracies reported by the 60CSx will be higher, but the spread of points lower.

That being said, the 15-30 foot numbers seem high for good tracking conditions; I would expect numbers in the 10-15 range, getting below 10 feet on occasion.

By comparing the accuracy of my 60CSx (under ideal conditions) against a professionally surveyed point , I found it to be only 2 feet off the surveyed coordinates. This despite the +/- 15 feet estimated accuracy the unit was reporting.

Others have reported that the 60CS is more optimistic in estimating its accuracy than the 60CSx. In reality the accuracy of the two units are very close, but the CSx will hold the signal better under challenging conditions (e.g., trees and canyons).

Edited by Glenn W

Thanks for the replies -

I wasn't sure if it was optimism on the 60CS part, or if I was having problems with the CSx, hence why I asked.

Battery saver is off, and I have recalibrated the compass several times - I generally keep the compass turned off (pressing and holding the "page" button) - unless hiking. I use a Ram Mount for car autorouting, and so the gps has had open sky - and I have placed the 60CS and 60 CSx side by side and I am still getting the discrepancy. Running Garmin maps too...

I have to say, being able to put all of North America on the CSx is cool as hell - I think the fact that the maps are so enormous as to not fit on the 64meg card is ridiculous though; eg, I live in Texas - and under V8 of City Navigator, the Metroplex was something like six maps all by itself - you could pick and choose that routes and maps you wanted - I had a trip form Dallas to San Antonio last week - wanted to use the CSx - got the CN NT 2008 maps, and Texas now is only 2 maps, North and South! Well I needed to go form North Texas to South Texas, and to get the total maps on the CSx I needed 128meg of space! - I was PO'd hugely! That was a rip, and even though the 2 gig micro card only cost me $6.99, I had to wait until I got back to get the maps on the CSx. That is a crock, just my 2c.

Any other suggestions on the accuracy? Do antennae help? I have one of the square magnetic Garmin antennae, that I have never used - didn't know if this was something I needed?

Bruce

I generally keep the compass turned off (pressing and holding the "page" button)

How did you find that one ??..........is there any lists for these shortcuts ?

Useful button shortcuts: The ZOOM IN and OUT buttons also scroll through lists, one page at a time. Also to the top or bottom of a menu with one press. A real time saver. Pressing the FIND button twice brings up the Recent Finds page (so I don’t keep that one in my page sequence either). Press and hold the PAGE button to turn the magnetic compass on or off. Hold the button until the unit gives you a confirmation. If you turn it off this way, it won’t come back on until you press and hold PAGE again, regardless of the settings on the Heading setup page.

I generally keep the compass turned off (pressing and holding the "page" button)

How did you find that one ??..........is there any lists for these shortcuts ?

Sorry to highjack the thread.

Also, the compass icon on the Page button would be a clue. :rolleyes:

Other shortcuts:

• The In and Out buttons also function as Page Up and Page Down, when displaying lists.
  • The Page button also functions the same as clicking the Okay button, when inputting data.
  • Pressing Menu twice immediately takes you to the Main Menu.
  • Pressing Find twice immediately takes you to the Recent Finds display.
  • Holding down the Find button brings up the Man Over Board function.