Auto Navigator that accepts waypoints?

We have an old Garmin Street Pilot 2620 - "She" (female voice - it is a "she") seems to have bit the dust

- problem - I want a new "auto GPS" that accepts lat/long waypoints :laughing: to be entered - (on the screen) like she did. I can't seem to find a salesperson that even knows enough about the units they sell to tell me :D - any one here know?

I was reading abt Lowrance XOG and maybe the Garmin Nuvi 550 -

thanks for any suggestions!

Why not a handheld GPS that navigates. I use my 60CSX for geocaching and navigating. True it does not talk to me, but I set it up to give different beeps when it was close and when it was time to make my moves. It has worked very well. I have rented a number of cars with Magellan's "Always Lost", and much prefer the beeps to the voice commands it gives.

Why not a handheld GPS that navigates. I use my 60CSX for geocaching and navigating. True it does not talk to me, but I set it up to give different beeps when it was close and when it was time to make my moves. It has worked very well. I have rented a number of cars with Magellan's "Always Lost", and much prefer the beeps to the voice commands it gives.

Well, as a person who used the 60csx to navigator for a few years I just switched to a nuvi 250W and all i can say is the ability to type in locations very quickly is much much nicer. Its also safer because its easier to work with the large touch screen than the rocker button.

On that note my nuvi250W accepts waypoints; I loaded a whole bunch (from my computer) and can select as needed. I got it for around $180.

Edit: just reread and saw you want to do it on screen. I can enter coordinates in the where to menu and then save them as needed. I am pretty sure that is what you were referring to.

Edited by -Oz-

We have an old Garmin Street Pilot 2620 - "She" (female voice - it is a "she") seems to have bit the dust

- problem - I want a new "auto GPS" that accepts lat/long waypoints :laughing: to be entered - (on the screen) like she did. I can't seem to find a salesperson that even knows enough about the units they sell to tell me :D - any one here know?

I was reading abt Lowrance XOG and maybe the Garmin Nuvi 550 -

thanks for any suggestions!

I replaced my 2610 with a 2820. The 2820 will do everything my 2610 did and then some.....a great unit.

We've done our caching with the XOG, and been very happy. You need to switch it from turn by turn to straight line navigation, and then you can either pull up a waypoint from the address book or enter one in manually. I usually save our destinations in the address book and pull them up when we get close.

The turn by turn navigating seems to work well. This is our first GPS, so I don't have much to compare it to. I did borrow a friends Tom Tom for a short trip, and while it's interface was a bit more polished, I don't think it really performed any better.

The bottom line for me is I've got a single unit that will do Geocaching, street naviagition, and with the proper card, lake charts for boating. The MP3 player is a nice bonus, but not a big factor for me. It is kind of cool when it pauses the music to give the next instruction, and then starts it again.

Have the XOG and have used it a couple of times for caching and also in the car and it really works well in my opinion doing both. Haven't had any major hiccups while navigating in the car, and when out with the unit on a bicycle and caching it worked well. Looking forward to using it for snowmobiling this winter and then we'll see how it does. So far I like the versatility of it and being able to do tweaks to my liking are great.

The only downfall I've found is that the battery life isn't that long (I get about 2-3hours depending on what I'm doing) but I have found ways around that.