Opinions Please

My ex partner and I placed a cache together. The cache listing has remained on his account and I've set up a new account. If I went back and signed the log book could I claim a find on it even though I know exactly where it is?

Of course you can. :D

Or you could log them without visiting them, date them the same on screen and in your log just refer to being part of the previous team, then you can go and find some new ones rather than refinding the ones you have already been to :laughing:

There's nothing stopping you doing so, it just depends how people play the game.

I personally wouldn't bother, but that would be more to do with letting sleeping dogs lie than anything else. On the other hand you helped set it, so having lost credit for that you may as well have a find instead! :laughing:

Last year I helped someone with some ideas about where to set a cache, when they actually did so in one of the locations I suggested, I didn't nip out for the FTF simply because in my way of thinking it wouldn't be fair ... however, in theory, there was nothing stopping me doing so. I did however log it when I was passing by a few weeks later.

We all play the game in different ways, and I tend to think most things which people interpret are ok so long as it does no harm. :D

My ex partner and I placed a cache together. The cache listing has remained on his account and I've set up a new account. If I went back and signed the log book could I claim a find on it even though I know exactly where it is?

I'd say "It's up to you".

Personally, in those circumstances, I wouldn't, because for me the point of finding a cache is actually doing the walk and the hunting around at the end. I don't think I could claim to have "found" something if I knew where it was anyway :D. But it's a personal choice - Do whatever feels right to you. I think this is one of geocaching's grey areas.

MrsB :laughing:

It's up to you.

I have no problem with it.

As MrsB says

Personally, in those circumstances, I wouldn't, because for me the point of finding a cache is actually doing the walk and the hunting around at the end. I don't think I could claim to have "found" something if I knew where it was anyway

You could always drop off or collect a TB or coin to help it on its way!

I think it's up to you. I personally probably wouldn't - but I've never been in that situation so I'm not really qualified to make a judgement. After all, it's only a matter of a cache or two - I wouldn't criticize whatever you chose to do.

I think we chatted about a similar situation in the Mega Event - about re-logging joint finds made on the old account using your new account. I don't think most people have any problem with that either - I spotted lots ot Tattylicious finds on my caches not so long ago and it only took a moment or two to realise what was going on :laughing:

I would say no personally. Having said you placed the cache together we are not talking about caches which you found together. (which I would then say log them)

I would be more prone as long as there is no problems between you to get your name put on the whose cahce it is.

But like has been said its a game you can almost play anyway you like so do as you wish.

Log from german geocacher

How to keep the numbers up in Deutschland .... one of my caches in France is logged as found even though his log admits he didnt. I've emailed him and asked him to change it. How long should I give him before I delete the log??

Answers on a postage stamp please.

delete it straight away and send a message saying pleas elog it as DNF or whatever they actually did do.

How to keep the numbers up in Deutschland .... one of my caches in France is logged as found even though his log admits he didnt. I've emailed him and asked him to change it. How long should I give him before I delete the log??

If he lost the cache then fair enough, delete his log. But if he arrived to find the cache missing and has assumed it's lost but he would have found it, then what's the harm?

Given the German trend for armchair logging, did they actually log anything else in the area??

I had a DNF a couple of months ago, where I found a 'letterbox' about 150ft from the given cache coordinates and found that the previous cacher 'finders' had actually logged the letterbox instead!! The owner of the cache has let their find stand. Rooster Rob Log

We have since been back and found the cache. :laughing:

Sorry - Edit to bring this back on to topic...

I personally wouldn't log the cache, for several reasons, such as knowing where it is, having anything to do with the 'Ex' etc, after all it is only 1 out of 635,478 caches in the world (as at this time/date), so what is the significance of this one? But as others have said, play it the way you want...

Edited by careygang

If you've been to the cache location, and it's not owned by you, then you can log it as a find. That's the simple rule of thumb many peeps including me seem to use... ie, if I was with a caching group and one of the group hid the cache, I'd log it as a find, but I wouldn't log it as an FTF. I'd wait until other cachers had found it first as a legitimate FTF. :laughing:

arock&ahardplace and I log each others caches. We know when each others caches are going to be published, and also the general area they're in. However, because we know this, we never try for FTF on each others caches, just doesn't seem right.

I personally wouldn't log the cache, for several reasons, such as knowing where it is, having anything to do with the 'Ex' etc, after all it is only 1 out of 635,478 caches in the world (as at this time/date), so what is the significance of this one? But as others have said, play it the way you want...

Just a quick question? Aren't there over 800,000 caches worldwide?

Edited by Jacobite

arock&ahardplace and I log each others caches. We know when each others caches are going to be published, and also the general area they're in. However, because we know this, we never try for FTF on each others caches, just doesn't seem right.

Just a quick question? Aren't there over 800,000 caches worldwide?

I know it seems low, but its according to the homepage...

There are 635,478 active geocaches around the world.

:laughing:

delete it straight away and send a message saying pleas elog it as DNF or whatever they actually did do.

I'm with Dunmoore. Give them a couple of weeks and if they don't do owt, delete the log. They DIDN'T find the cache and write their little names in the little log book.

I must confess that I cannot understand the value in finding a cache that you placed yourself. Does it not defeat the object of the game?

If the cache location has changed - as happened with a multi I set and then got adopted - that is a different matter.

But, as many have said, we play the game as we see it. No moral issue is involved here. I just can't see the point, that's all.

Happy caching.

I must confess that I cannot understand the value in finding a cache that you placed yourself. Does it not defeat the object of the game?

If the cache location has changed - as happened with a multi I set and then got adopted - that is a different matter.

But, as many have said, we play the game as we see it. No moral issue is involved here. I just can't see the point, that's all.

Happy caching.

One of the objects of my game is to clear caches from the area where I live, and as I don't do ignore lists (the cache would still be there, niggling at me) the only option for me would be to log the cache and get it off my front page.

After all, it's not about the numbers, and one more (or less) doesn't matter. Does it? Who cares? I can't really see the point in asking people's opinion about this sort of thing when there are no rules to speak of anyway. :laughing:

Well I've logged my own cache (GCZQGW), as I had to find it like anyone else would have, after it was moved slightly. Does it matter? Does anyone care? If they do, then they need to get a life. Log whatever you want, no one will ban you for cheating. Geocaching is all about going out & about rather than sitting inside watching TV. It is not a competition, no matter what some people think.

I'm sure I posted yesterday but I do not see it!

My opinion FWIW.

If you placed the cache then you should not log it as a find. You didn't find it, you hid it! However, you play the game the way you want. If numbers are that important...

:laughing:

If numbers aren't that important, perhaps if one adopts a cache that one has previously found, then one should delete one's original "found" log. Why is that hugely different? Rhetorical.

I used the word "one" there and rather a lot. I was trying to avoid the use of the word "you", which makes it sound rather specific. What the hell, though :D

Hey, it's only a lunchbox.

If you want to log it as found to get it off your 'nearest unfound' list, then go ahead and do so.

If you feel that you'd be 'cheating' or you really want to preserve your number found count, then don't.

It doesn't affect anyone else, and really, they wouldn't notice (even the macro/query of 'finds on own cache' wouldn't show it up, as it's not listed under your username any more).

My opinion is that if I'd been involved in placing it, then I personally wouldn't log it because I knew the location and didn't "Find" it.

If it was a cache I'd adopted, then I wouldn't delete my find log, as I didn't know where it was when I found it.

Some people get a friend to 'dry run' a cache before publishing by finding it. As they didn't have prior knowledge of its location, then this should be allowed as a find, but people who do this usually wait until after someone else has claimed FTF before logging it.

:)

Well here's my tuppence worth...... We/I are in a similar situation..... I (Nat) was once part of The Ollies, but as in your situation, have since become teamtan and set up my new user account with my partner. I have no reserves in logging any previous finds, plus ones we set as The Ollies, as to be fair my partner has not done these caches, and I am actually enjoying going back and doing caches done many many moons ago. We never cheat, or go straight to finals of multis, we do them all as the cache onwers intended.

I did wonder at the start whether to carry my previous finds over as many do, but then that would have meant Ant would never have got to see or enjoy the caches so near to home.

A lot of the older caches I found, I have problems remembering where they are anyway, so it seems as though it's the first time, what with finding in different seasons etc.

At the end of the day, I think all caches are there to be found, and if you go and sign the log as you say you want to - then claim it and it will be one more of your finds done on your new account, otherwise it will sit there as a find to get...... :)

We are now on 700 instead of the near 2000 odd that I accrued with the Ollies but have satisfaction of knowing all our logs are legitimate...... :rolleyes:

Nat.