Mimbres Geocoin

crake

Its been awhile since I've posted about a new coin. But here's one that I really enjoyed making, and thought others might enjoy it too :laughing:

MimbresMed.jpg

I recently discovered the wonderful artwork of Mimbres pottery while researching various artwork styles of the southwest United States. I was immediately fascinated by the complex geometric patterns painted into the interior of white bowls, and was amazed at the similarities between this ancient style and my own. So I had to learn more.

My research lead me to learn of the long-lost civilization of the people of the Mimbres Valley in southern New Mexico and their evolution of artwork from plain pottery in AD 500 to complex designs full of sophisticated patterns during their "Classic" period of AD 1000-1150. Throughout this period the Mimbres people developed methods of painting and firing clay that produced stunning black and white designs (along with the occasional red variants). Then, sometime around AD 1200, the people of the Mimbres Valley suddenly vanished, leaving behind just a few thousand bowls scattered across less than a couple dozen sites.

Inspired by the artwork of the Mimbres Valley, I created the Mimbres Geocoin. This original piece incorporates several design elements from various "Style III" bowls including a feather motif, a Sonoran mud turtle, and various spiral and zigzag features. The geocoin is available in a polished black nickel finish with white hard enamel which mimics the black and white painted bowls. It is also available in an antiqued bronze finish as well as a special limited edition finish.

Reservations can be made at http://www.crakephoto.com/reserve/

The real effect of this coin would of been if the colors was in black and white. I have actual pieces of membres potery and amazed by the detail. Still a nice coin.

I don't understand this comment. The coin comes in a black nickel finished with white hard enamel which was carefully selected to reflect the black and white beauty of Mimbres pottery. The other finishes are secondary in my opinion.

red was also used in mimbres pottery.

True, there were some brown/red's as well. Interesting thing (to me) is this variation in color was due to the differing amounts of oxygen present during the firing. Whether accidental or not, the effect is quite stunning.

True, there were some brown/red's as well. Interesting thing (to me) is this variation in color was due to the differing amounts of oxygen present during the firing. Whether accidental or not, the effect is quite stunning.

in doing a little research i ran across one opinion that after figuring out that "something" made red, the pottery makers were able to exploit that knowledge in perfecting red-black designs.

thanks for the impetus to do a little googling!

ordered a set.

says the girl who was not going to be buying anymore new coins!

rsg

Awesome coin! Will these be available for trades?

Yes, but you have to find me in person :D

ooOOOOOOO, I knew there was another reason I am in Texas besides working. I ordered 2 sets to be sent to my home in WY. (Didn't want to pay Texas Taxes) I am flying out of Austin on Sept 5th and back on Sept 7. I will be attending Geo Rendezvous in Ogden, UT. I would be willing to deliver some if they are ready and if Chris is willing to meet me at 0500... :laughing: Jodi

I grew up on the Mimbres.

Did you know that is one place 2 great warriors hid as well.

Geronimo frequented the Hot Springs of the Mimbreno Brother Mangus Colorado(Red Sleeves).

And Billy The Kid was also through there.

What great memories of the Mimbreno Art.

I also found the Oldest Anasazi Medicine Man Known to date a little farther north.

Great Artwork they did.

There are many petroglyphs around there too.

Nice looking coin.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Sorry, the picture looked like it was brass color with black highlights.

The real effect of this coin would of been if the colors was in black and white. I have actual pieces of membres potery and amazed by the detail. Still a nice coin.

I don't understand this comment. The coin comes in a black nickel finished with white hard enamel which was carefully selected to reflect the black and white beauty of Mimbres pottery. The other finishes are secondary in my opinion.

The pieces I have are black and white. The mimbres probably used green and purple too at one time or another.

Thanks

rsg

The pieces I have are black and white. The mimbres probably used green and purple too at one time or another....

really? i didn't read anything that suggested that. perhaps you have a reference for me?

i have a broken piece of santa fe railway china that was inspired by the mimbres pottery and is appropriately called mimbreno. and a repro tea pot. the unbroken real thing is way too expensive for me! but even the broken parts show bits and pieces of the wonderful figures on it.

china-mimbreno-dishes-6-07.jpg

rsg

i am probably too late to reserve some but ive done it anyway.
don't worry about

CRAKE takes care of his customers

if there is enough demand, more coins will be made

a given creation of his will usually be available for a couple of months

see his coin philosophy on his website

for the life of me, I do not understand why more sellers do not do things this way

Mimbres had a LE finish, which is limited to 6 sets of 50 "flavors" randomly distributed in the combo orders. LE's are indeed limited, but the black and antiqued bronze will be standard-issue which means a 2-4 month lifecycle in the store.

The LE's are wait-listed, and once I'm through the existing orders I'll work through the wait list. Which will happen late next week.

Mimbres had a LE finish, which is limited to 6 sets of 50 "flavors" randomly distributed in the combo orders. LE's are indeed limited, but the black and antiqued bronze will be standard-issue which means a 2-4 month lifecycle in the store.

The LE's are wait-listed, and once I'm through the existing orders I'll work through the wait list. Which will happen late next week.

:unsure::) So how many different LEs am I going to have to try to obtain? 6 or 50??? :D I confess to being a tad confused... :) And I hope that if one ordered more than one set with LEs one would get different LE's?

CF30

So the mystery finish was just that - a mystery. The finish is different in several ways - one being the coloring, and 6 flavors exist. The distribution is in a sequence, so if someone ordered 2 sets, they'll get 2 different flavors. Think of it as foil wrapped trading cards. You never know what you'll get. :unsure:

Hi Chris :unsure: got notification that my coins were shipped and thought I'd share a photo of the cabinet my husband made for me a couple weeks ago that now house my "coveted "Crake" collection". Got the space all ready for the Mimbres and plenty more for your future ones too !

crakecabinet.jpg

Hi Chris :) got notification that my coins were shipped and thought I'd share a photo of the cabinet my husband made for me a couple weeks ago that now house my "coveted "Crake" collection". Got the space all ready for the Mimbres and plenty more for your future ones too !

crakecabinet.jpg

That's beautiful!

If anyone has ordered an extra, I would love to trade for one :unsure:

Hi Chris :blink: got notification that my coins were shipped and thought I'd share a photo of the cabinet my husband made for me a couple weeks ago that now house my "coveted "Crake" collection". Got the space all ready for the Mimbres and plenty more for your future ones too !

Oh wow - that's really quite something. You have a far superior display than mine even!

If anyone is interested in seeing the LE Mimbres that I got, go to this -> LE Mimbres I did not want to spoil the surprise for anyone if they don't want to see before they get them.

So that's four of the six. ^_^ Any idea what the other two are? I red a possibility? I'd love to trade one of my two for a red one. ;) If there is a red one, that is... :unsure:

CF30

Well there is supposed to be a purple, but I have not seen it. The 6th color must be super secret.