Sending cache info to GPS unit

SunamGeo

I've downloaded the software and connected my unit, downloading/installing software/drivers, etc but when I pull up a cache and try to "send to gps" it locates my unit but then nothing more happens. The first time I tried, it asked for permission to send and I ok'd it but still nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Are you asking about the "Send to GPS" on the Cache Page itself?

Yes--that! :laughing: I click Send to GPS and it asks me to allow access and then nothing more happens. When I try to find a cache on my unit (etrex Vista HCx) it says "none" I've tried finding it by name but its not listed there either.

ETA: I've successfully downloaded coords before as I have a dozen or so stored in my unit. We are out of state so I made the adjustments to my location but still can't find the new ones even by name. I don't know if that has something to do with the problem or not or how to figure out what's wrong. I'd really like to do some geocaching while we are here, particularly for a travel bug that we could take with us and relocate back home!

Edited by SunamGeo

Does the Garmin Communicator plug in test page indicate that the plug in is working properly?

Did you allow the Active X for the site in your internet browser?

Yep and yep. I even went back to the Communicator download page to see if I needed an upgrade and it tested and said I had the most current version.

OK see if this info gives you any clues. I did a "find" and then "POI" and it listed a bunch of POI that were in Arkansas (my home state) I'm in Wisconsin now, though.....

I did a change reference and the map points to our location in WI so I thought that was all I needed to do but maybe not...?

Did you look under Waypoints on your GPS unit instead of under Geocaches?

I looked under Waypoints, Geocaches and POI.

Aaaarrggh! This is so frustrating!! :laughing: I'm (obviously) fairly new at this and we had started figuring it out but now its been a couple of months and I can't remember if I did something differently last time or not!

I think I'm about to feel really stupid. I cannot remember all that I did when I set this unit up. I know that it came with topo maps that I installed but is there software for the unit itself? If so, I only put it on my computer at home and not my husband's laptop I'm using now. Could that be it?

If you have a satellite lock, then you should have had to change the reference.

Going back to your original post, am I reading it correctly that you aren't getting the pop-up window asking you if you want to write the data to the unit?

24yuwxw.jpg

And, no, there's no software that you need to load other than what you say you've already done assuming that when you say you've downloaded the drivers, you've installed the Garmin USB drivers.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

If you have a satellite lock, then you should have had to change the reference.

Going back to your original post, am I reading it correctly that you aren't getting the pop-up window asking you if you want to write the data to the unit?

24yuwxw.jpg

And, no, there's no software that you need to load.

No, I get that screen and then sometimes get the screen asking for permission to access the unit to send the info but then that's where it stops.

I have my manual and am trying to find answers there, too. It talks about calibrating my compass if I change batteries or move more than 100miles. I've done both of those but when I press MENU, I don't get a CALIBRATE option. Don't know if that is an issue or not since when I mark my current waypoint, it points to our current location.

And when you hit the "Write" button, nothing happens? It doesn't say Geocache GCxxxx.gpx successfully saved.

I AM a flippin' idiot :laughing:

I never pressed that. I seriously thought that that was an option for if it didn't find my unit since it came up on the screen that was searching. Oh geez....

Yes...that worked now please forget that I ever posted so that I can return to the forums with a shred of dignity.

Oh geez.... :P