Letterbox hybrid concentrations?

Letterbox hybrids seem to be rare animals, which we really enjoy. Seems that if an area has more than a couple, it's one hider who also enjoys them. So....I'm curious to know of areas in the lower 48 that are letterbox hotbeds, where a trip could be planned and a nice pile of the finds could be letterboxes. In the case of letterboxes, 5-10 in an area would be great!

Thanks for any direction.

Overland Park, KS (suburb of Kansas City, MO). 26 LB-hybrids within 25 mile radius. 21 are part of two series that run along an awesome hiking/biking path in the middle of town. You can either follow your GPSr straight to the point, or follow the storyline listed over at a letterboxing site, or printed on papers at the first cache.

I used to live in the area (pre geocaching) and highly recommend the walk. I was planning a trip there recently and was pumped about these two series, but the trip was cancelled :laughing:

Also, the oldest surviving cache (Mingo) is located not-too-many miles (only 350 or so) to the west of there.

Edit: I neglected to give a link. Arrow is the first cache in the first series, and Here is the storyline on www.letterboxing.org.

Edited by J-Way

The area just south of Provo Utah has a high concentration of them. I see 29 within a 30 mile radius. Momma Owl is a prolific LBH hider in the area.

But if you enjoy LBHs so much, then why not just go to a letterboxing site like Atlasquest, or letterboxing.org and look there. You'll find so many more and you can put your GPS away.

To a geocacher, the fact that a cache is a LBH really has little relevance, other than the cool icon you can add to your stats.

Edited by briansnat

To a geocacher, the fact that a cache is a LBH really has little relevance, other than the cool icon you can add to your stats.

It's very relevant to me. I'm a geocacher, started in 2001. In 2002 I found my first letterbox then started hiding my own. Collecting the stamp images, especially the one-of-a-kind hand-carved images, is more satisfying then trading swag.

It's very relevant to me. I'm a geocacher, started in 2001. In 2002 I found my first letterbox then started hiding my own. Collecting the stamp images, especially the one-of-a-kind hand-carved images, is more satisfying then trading swag.

That's where I'm at with it, too. I do look for the non-gc.com ones as well, but Trekkin' isn't as interested then. The hand-carved stamp images are cool, and I know there are others who geocache but enjoy this particular style of hide, too.

Thanks for the tips. Hmmm, Provo Utah is also Scrapbooking Central!

That's where I'm at with it, too. I do look for the non-gc.com ones as well, but Trekkin' isn't as interested then. The hand-carved stamp images are cool, and I know there are others who geocache but enjoy this particular style of hide, too.

Sorry about the double post, I don't see where I can delete the extra.

I meant to a pure geocacher. If you have your personal stamp and a stamp book to collect stamps I'd argue that you've crossed the line and become a letterboxer.

Two areas to check out are Rochester, New York (search on the advanced search page for LBH caches near zipcode 14622) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. In fact, you could construct a terrific LBH-only roadtrip beginning in Dayton, heading south to Cincinnati, and then traveling along the Ohio river all the way to West Virginia. See map:

dfa840e1-4155-471f-9b53-07e52916bfd3.jpg

Two areas to check out are Rochester, New York (search on the advanced search page for LBH caches near zipcode 14622) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. In fact, you could construct a terrific LBH-only roadtrip beginning in Dayton, heading south to Cincinnati, and then traveling along the Ohio river all the way to West Virginia. See map:

dfa840e1-4155-471f-9b53-07e52916bfd3.jpg

Wow, thanks, I think we have next summer's big road trip planned!