Getting location permission: Materials

sejtam

I am playing with the thought of asking an official body for permission to lay a cache on their grounds (and possibly, if they sound like they might do that, to give general permission for further caches, possibly with some local ground rules and restrictions).

I have never approached anyone on this before, so I would like to find whether anyone hare had and could share:

a) presentation material on geocaching that

- introduces geocaching

- identifies some commonly found fears/concerns site owners may have and how these have been addressed/worked around in other locations

- identifies the pros of geocaching for locations (lures visitors, good advertising in some cases, enhanced profile etc)

:anibad: references/examples to other locations on such permissions/agreements and how they came about

c) sample guidelines, rules etc that could be built on

Would one need to contact geocaching.com in such cases and involve them in the negotiations? If so, under what conditions?

Any assistance is appreciated

Edited by sejtam

I have one that involved harmin a tree in a nature reserve. I contacted city hall asking for permission from an official. I kept it shorts, just explaining the basics and the benefits of it. They kindly showed me which tree would be the best suited.

I don't think anyone sees it as such a big deal, therefor, a short presentation should be sufficient unless they are interested and want to know more.

I have placed several caches on private property with reasonable success. This is my general formula...

Try to make an appointment for your meeting, don't just walk in expecting to get a chance to explain the game. Just after lunch is usually better than just before. A person doing the explaining will probably have a better chance than an e-mail or written request.

Print out extra copies of the "You found it!" notice to show/give them as well as the CITO notices on the website.

Explain that they can expect an increase in visitors, but that geocaches are by definition, non-commercial.

Have a cache container ready to go, stocked with a few quality trade goods. Make sure the container has something like "Official Geocache Game Piece" written clearly on the outside.

Not everyone wants an ammocan on their property, have some tupperware/lock'n'lock, film canisters, or other container(depending on the type of cache) to show them as well.

Be friendly, and be prepared to smile, shake hands, thank them for their time, and leave if they say "No."

Leave the literature with them as well as your contact information. They may need time to think about it or discuss it with others.

Finally, my real secret... I bring my 6- and 3-year old children along for the interview/request, and discuss how Geocaching is a family friendly game.

It works nearly every time.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Here is a pretty good power point presentation. I used a pared down version of this to make a presentation to a group. It's kind of long, so you can probably eliminate a lot of the introductory stuff about GPS technology.

Here are some policies from various land management agencies:

PA DCNR

San Diego County Parks

Missouri State Parks

Michigan Audubon Society

Arkansas State parks