60CS - intermittently powering down & intermittently losing satellite lock

royta

I'm experiencing two rather strange problems with my Garmin 60CS.

The first problem started in July some time. The unit will intermittenly power down even though it is being powered via the 12VDC cable. It doesn't beep as if you were powering the unit down with the power button. It justs quietly shuts off. No warning, no nothing.

The second problem started Wednesday. The unit will lose satellite lock. I can be driving down the road or just sitting still and the Satellite Menu page will pop up. You know the page with the options of Use With GPS Off, North Up, Single Color, New Location, GPS Elevation. Anyway, I will go to the Satellite page and at the top it will say "Acquiring Satellites". None of the satellites in my area will be on the satellite page, unlike how it will remember the most recent satellites when you power up the unit from it being turned off. It's almost like it is doing a cold start and searching for satellites from scratch. What speeds up the search is I will press Menu and choose New Location. I will then choose Use Map browse to my current location and then press Enter. All of the satellites in the area then pop up and the GPS obtains a lock very quickly. This has happened once every day on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Thurs and Fri, it happened on my way home from work. My GPS sits on the dash in the suction cup holder and since I'm an electrician, I'll be driving my truck around the plant all day at 30 mpg or less speeds. At the end of the day I am driving home at approximately 65 miles per hour. Yesterday I noticed the GPS was quite warm, which I assume is from sitting on the dash every day.

I reloaded v4.20 software but the problems are still there.

possible pertinent information:

* purchased in December 2004 - sitting on the dash almost every day. The only time it's not on the vehicle dash board is when it's in my Camelbak on a mountain bike ride or when I'm hiking.

* v4.20 software installed some time in 2007

* 54.6 MB of maps

Thank you for the help.

Roy