Suggestions for suglasses that fit over prescription glasses

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good pair of sunglasses that I can wear over my prescription glasses. I've tried Rx Sunglasses before, and I really didn't like them.

I've thought about wearing my contacts hiking but really don't want to worry taking care of them on the trail.

Is there anything worth while out there? Or am I better off sucking it up and going with different options?

I use the type of sunglasses that "clip" on to my glasses. they actually have a spring and keeps tht I can bend to fit onto my glasses. my only complaint is that they can become heavy and "tilt" my glasses forward on my head.

Quick google search turned up these http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/fit-over-sunglasses.html

I do not have any experience so can't say if they are good or not.

GL in your search

If you don't like prescription sunglasses then maybe you should look at Bolle. I just got a pair that have frames and standard sunglass type lenses. The nosepiece clips out and your prescription clips in behind the sunglass lenses. And you can change the standard sunglass lenses easily...dark, polarized, eagle vision, rose, yellow, transitions, etc. They wraparound a bit and look really good...unlike most sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses or clip on (those look really pathetic). Here is a picture that shows how they fit together...you generally can't tell unless the light is right and I have the eagle vision sunglass lenses in:

76cea5a9-cc97-4cd8-ab9b-2a1172f1cd09.jpg

And here is how they normally look.

50c7ac5d-d939-4577-8e28-d2a0bb143002.jpg

Rudy Project has the same thing Mike's talking about: a plano (no prescription) sunglass with an rx (prescription) insert that "clips" in behind it. This gives you something you can wear whether wearing your contacts or not. I'm sorry, I can't remember the style(s) available. Having said that, I will also say I'm not a fan of Rudy Project or their customer service. I have the same feelings for Bolle ... they ain't your daddy's Bolle.

A company called Fitovers has just what you're looking for.

You say you're not a fan of prescription sunglasses but have you tried sport-specific sunwear? Oakley makes prescription lenses for a number of their frames, my favorites for hiking are the Half Jacket and the Flak Jacket. These frames have specific mounts so you can have multiple pairs of lenses that you can change yourself. For instance, you might have one pair in black iridium polarized (a dark grey) for driving to the trail head, another pair of V28 transitions (high contrast tint that gets darker when exposed to UV, good for going in and out of shaded areas) for on the trail and a pair of clear lenses while spending the night by the lake. Both these frame styles also perch well atop a ball cap and stay put when bending over to re-tie your hiking boots. Oakley has fantastic customer service.

I could wax poetic about Maui Jim prescription sunwear ... but I won't. Their lenses are awesome and their sport collection is great - very comfortable. Absolutely awesome customer service here.

You also say you don't want to wear your contact lenses on the trail because you don't want to worry about caring for them. Depending on your prescription, you have a couple options; there are daily contacts available that are thrown away at the end of each day (no care involved there!) and there are extended wear contacts that you can sleep in. While you should never sleep in your contacts unless your eye doctor has cleared you for extended wear (there are eye-health risks involved), it's a nice solution for backpacking.

Rudy Project has the same thing Mike's talking about: a plano (no prescription) sunglass with an rx (prescription) insert that "clips" in behind it. This gives you something you can wear whether wearing your contacts or not. I'm sorry, I can't remember the style(s) available. Having said that, I will also say I'm not a fan of Rudy Project or their customer service. I have the same feelings for Bolle ... they ain't your daddy's Bolle.

A company called Fitovers has just what you're looking for.

You say you're not a fan of prescription sunglasses but have you tried sport-specific sunwear? Oakley makes prescription lenses for a number of their frames, my favorites for hiking are the Half Jacket and the Flak Jacket. These frames have specific mounts so you can have multiple pairs of lenses that you can change yourself. For instance, you might have one pair in black iridium polarized (a dark grey) for driving to the trail head, another pair of V28 transitions (high contrast tint that gets darker when exposed to UV, good for going in and out of shaded areas) for on the trail and a pair of clear lenses while spending the night by the lake. Both these frame styles also perch well atop a ball cap and stay put when bending over to re-tie your hiking boots. Oakley has fantastic customer service.

I could wax poetic about Maui Jim prescription sunwear ... but I won't. Their lenses are awesome and their sport collection is great - very comfortable. Absolutely awesome customer service here.

You also say you don't want to wear your contact lenses on the trail because you don't want to worry about caring for them. Depending on your prescription, you have a couple options; there are daily contacts available that are thrown away at the end of each day (no care involved there!) and there are extended wear contacts that you can sleep in. While you should never sleep in your contacts unless your eye doctor has cleared you for extended wear (there are eye-health risks involved), it's a nice solution for backpacking.

Been there done that got lasik done. I finally got tired of the care of the contacts even though the provided me profound relief from the specs. That being said, I love my Mau Jims.

Chris: Well you should of asked me when we did the last patrol. I just use a pair of clip ons, that can fold up when I need to see my maps or the GPS. And carry an extra pair in the pack, you never know when you will find a snowfield in the spring and guess what I left my sun glasses home becuase it was snowless on the Front Range.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

I just got new eye balls myself, I got the Transition lenses but I do a lot of driving so they don't work very well in my truck. All of the other suggestions in this thread, I have checked into in the past and they cost a small fortune. I went to my local Wal Mart and for $20.00 picked up a pair of Solar Shields, I love 'em. solarshields.com Make sure you get the type with the side windows. I take mine off when I stop somewhere, that's when I reliey on the Transition lenses. These new Transition lenses get really dark, there really nice

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

I use the type of sunglasses that "clip" on to my glasses. they actually have a spring and keeps tht I can bend to fit onto my glasses. my only complaint is that they can become heavy and "tilt" my glasses forward on my head.

That's kinda what I thought clip-ons would do. :rolleyes: A sports-strap in the back would help keep them on. The con to clip-ons is they still let sun in through the sides.

If you don't like prescription sunglasses then maybe you should look at Bolle. I just got a pair that have frames and standard sunglass type lenses. The nosepiece clips out and your prescription clips in behind the sunglass lenses. And you can change the standard sunglass lenses easily...dark, polarized, eagle vision, rose, yellow, transitions, etc. They wraparound a bit and look really good...unlike most sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses or clip on (those look really pathetic).

I'll look into Bolle. It looks like there's still a bit of sunlight coming in through the sides though. Not sure if they would fit my need or not.

You say you're not a fan of prescription sunglasses but have you tried sport-specific sunwear?

First, thank you for the very informative reply. I've clicked all the links and am checking them out. The biggest reason I'm not a fan of prescription sunglasses is my prescription has changed each year for the past few years (not much, but enough to make a difference). Having to get new lenses every year seems kinda pointless - and the last prescription sunglasses were discontinued and they wouldn't shape the lenses to fit, forcing me to buy new frames and lenses, so I baulked at those.

You also say you don't want to wear your contact lenses on the trail because you don't want to worry about caring for them. Depending on your prescription, you have a couple options; there are daily contacts available that are thrown away at the end of each day (no care involved there!) and there are extended wear contacts that you can sleep in.

I'm more worried about dirt/grime getting in them on the trail. Having to remove/replace contacts on the trail isn't fun (probably aggravated by my inability to put them back in easily without a mirror).

Chris: Well you should of asked me when we did the last patrol. I just use a pair of clip ons, that can fold up when I need to see my maps or the GPS. And carry an extra pair in the pack, you never know when you will find a snowfield in the spring and guess what I left my sun glasses home becuase it was snowless on the Front Range.

This question is a result of The Last Patrol. That hike was my first 'serious' hike up a mountain and I'm looking to go up more mountains now (there's just too much of Colorado to see!) and want to be better prepared for the next time. Already acquired Leki poles, gaiters, headlamp, and a bunch of other 'essentials.'

All of this is in preparation to summit Long's Peak by next fall. I've (physically) got some preparation to do, and I want to be as comfortable (and as smart) as possible.

Keep posting all this helpful information!!

Edited for grammar

Edited by Team Laxson

the Bolle Vigilante and the smaller Parole wrap around like Oakleys. I have used them for many years for biking. When my prescription changes I just order a new insert ( usually under $30 for the prescription insert @ online bike sites). When the outer lens get scratched up you just order new ones. All the different lenses fit inside the case so you have them all with for changing light conditions. Using the clear lenses ( that great dork look) gives you an extra pair of glasses with.

One problem is the rubber breaks down on the ear pieces after a few years. Its been a few years since I ordered a set of the sunglasses so maybe that problem is solved.

Edited by IBcrashen

We've got people at every gun show selling the clip-on (not the flip-up ones like dad wore) tinted lenses for prescription glasses. They have many different shapes that seem to be pretty close to most glasses, and they will even tweak the clips to get them to fit perfectly. Probably can find the same folks at flea markets and whatnot as well. Wife really like the ones she got.