Garmin Nuvi 200 got us lost 3 times

Ive had a Colorado and a 60cx. I just bought TWO Nuvi 200 with the city navigator and it's given us wrong directions 3 times. I bought one for my sis, told her to go down this one street to a major street, but turned out being a dead end street. Out here in L.A. (gangland), dead end streets are no good.

2nd time was in downtown L.A. by the garment district, we punched in an address on my sister's nuvi and it didnt get us to the address, but a block away from it.

Anyone not like or have any issues with it? I must say its out the box, so firmware/software/updates resolve this?

THanks, guys.

It really has little to do with the gps itself but rather the map set and specifically the dataset behind the map which cause the navigational errors. Much of the data behind the maps is provided by Navteq which updates periodically however the updates only cover areas where they have new information. Deadend streets are problematic especially when they are made dead end with temporary barriers such is often done in cities. These are not easily seen in satellite imagery and thus are only picked up during field surveys and from local reports.

We have a Nuvi 760 in the other vehicle that my better half drives and she uses it all the time, never has she been led down the wrong street. I have City Navigator NA 2008 installed and did the 2009 update. She travels quite frequently and takes it with here and it has never happened.

You shoudl try it again with the same address and see if it happens again. Do you have full sat strength? Does you car window have that tint that reflects the signal? A poor signal can put you where you shouldn't be and give you wrong directions.

You can be part of the solution!!!

Ive had a Colorado and a 60cx. I just bought TWO Nuvi 200 with the city navigator and it's given us wrong directions 3 times. I bought one for my sis, told her to go down this one street to a major street, but turned out being a dead end street. Out here in L.A. (gangland), dead end streets are no good.

2nd time was in downtown L.A. by the garment district, we punched in an address on my sister's nuvi and it didnt get us to the address, but a block away from it.

It really has little to do with the gps itself but rather the map set and specifically the dataset behind the map which cause the navigational errors. Much of the data behind the maps is provided by Navteq which updates periodically however the updates only cover areas where they have new information. Deadend streets are problematic especially when they are made dead end with temporary barriers such is often done in cities. These are not easily seen in satellite imagery and thus are only picked up during field surveys and from local reports.

As Bruce suggested, the maps are only as good as the input data. Both Garmin and Navteq have map error report forms. Tell them of the error(s) you found and they'll correct the maps . . . eventually.

We have a Nuvi 760 in the other vehicle that my better half drives and she uses it all the time, never has she been led down the wrong street. I have City Navigator NA 2008 installed and did the 2009 update. She travels quite frequently and takes it with here and it has never happened.

You shoudl try it again with the same address and see if it happens again. Do you have full sat strength? Does you car window have that tint that reflects the signal? A poor signal can put you where you shouldn't be and give you wrong directions.

I highly doubt this is a reception issue. Much more likely to be map errors. Just because you have no errors where you live, does not mean that the maps are perfect. I can show you Navteq maps which show roads running straight through a dead end.

I highly doubt this is a reception issue. Much more likely to be map errors. Just because you have no errors where you live, does not mean that the maps are perfect. I can show you Navteq maps which show roads running straight through a dead end.

I never said the maps were perfect but I have seen a weak signal put a nuvi on another street. I have seen the winshield reflection throw it off also. Also if you re-read my post I said she travels quite frequently with it so its not just where I live. She travels to california (LA, san deigo), nevada, arizona, utah several times a month for the past 3 years and never had an off street issue or a wrong direction. Now I can tell you she hasn't traveled into any gang areas in LA so they could be off in that area I guess.

Edited by storm180

No GPS maps are perfect. I've had my 60CSX route me along a highway that had been closed for a few years for construction, try to send me down long closed dirt roads and tell me to make left turns where no left turn was allowed.

Never been lost though. As long as I keep driving it straightens out and I've always made it to my destination.

I've seen similar things with my wife's Nuvi, though a lot fewer because here maps are newer. Keep driving and the Nuvi eventually figures things out just like my 60CSX.

When I think that these things have basically every road and jughandle in north America and knows which are one way, speed limits and other info about them, I'm often astounded by how accurate they usually are.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks guys for the input.

I have notified Garmin via email and let them know of all 3 issues. Its' funny cuz Google Maps also missed that dead end street.

Im going to update both Garmin units this weekend. Does Garmin give you the 2009 North American update for FREE? I just bought it last weekend.

Thanks, guys.

When I think that these things have basically every road and jughandle in north America and knows which are one way, speed limits and other info about them, I'm often astounded by how accurate they usually are.

Brian, jughandles are a NJ thing.... no where else would ever think of having something like that :anibad:

Thanks guys for the input.

I have notified Garmin via email and let them know of all 3 issues. Its' funny cuz Google Maps also missed that dead end street.

Im going to update both Garmin units this weekend. Does Garmin give you the 2009 North American update for FREE? I just bought it last weekend.

Thanks, guys.

Not at all surprising that Google maps and the Garmin maps both missed the same deadends... they are both based on Navteq data.

Thanks, guys.

If you bought your Garmin unit recently you may qualify for the free download. You can go to the Garmin website and register your unit and it will tell you if your unit qualifies. I have purchased 2 nuvis in the last 3 months and both qualified for a free updated City Navigator North America NT 2009 map download.

Thanks, guys.

If you bought your Garmin unit recently you may qualify for the free download. You can go to the Garmin website and register your unit and it will tell you if your unit qualifies. I have purchased 2 nuvis in the last 3 months and both qualified for a free updated City Navigator North America NT 2009 map download.

great. thanks. i just bought them last week at Fry's. $129 each. Had to buy 2.