Hiding by your house

DAcachers

I am trying to hide my first cache and I put it in the park down the street but before I posted it I realize that it wasn't a good idea.

I would like to know if anyone has hiding a cache by there house like on there fence? Is this a good idea? There are lots of neighbor kids and I don't want something to happen to them or even my family.

Thanks

DAcachers

I am trying to hide my first cache and I put it in the park down the street but before I posted it I realize that it wasn't a good idea.

I would like to know if anyone has hiding a cache by there house like on there fence? Is this a good idea? There are lots of neighbor kids and I don't want something to happen to them or even my family.

Thanks

DAcachers

The park is a much better location. personally I dislike home caches but there are a few in the system. Slowpitcher

I would like to know if anyone has hiding a cache by there house like on there fence? Is this a good idea? There are lots of neighbor kids and I don't want something to happen to them or even my family.[/b ]

Thanks

DAcachers

By placing your cache in front of your house , you are posting your address all over the internet. Millions of people that you don't know can find you even if you don't want to be found.

Another issue to consider is your neighbors and their opinions regarding strangers visiting the neighborhood at strange hours. Most people like quiet neighborhoods, so their kids can play. The neighbor kids will also notice the activity near your house, and will investigate the cache. They may steal it, they might participate, or they might place unmentionables inside the cache.

Thanks

DAcachers

Can't speak for others, but I don't do yard caches.. Just never liked going on someone's property for a cache.

Thanks

DAcachers

A cache doesn't make any one spot any less safe than it already is. Your neighborhood already has the usual alotment of upstanding citizens, selfish rat bastards, miscreants, truants, rightouse, salt of the earth, working class stiffs, pervs, criminals, and average joes. A cache won't change that. Everbody's kids are exactly as safe as they were before.

That said a cache at your home has it's own issues. Cachers don't always feel comfortable on someones lawn. A yard is not a normal place of public accomodation and it just feels strange to look for a cache in a yard. A park is a better spot. It would not hurt to talk to the homeowners adjoining the park if they will be in a position to see cachers looking for the cache and wonder what they are doing.

Night Stalker has a cache at his house. It's location does a fairly good job of shielding you from prying eyes as you look for the cache. Of course he also has no problem if you knock on the door and say hello. It's actually a rather hard find for some reason even though it's not hidden all that well.

Won't get long-winded since I've talked about this in the last 8 or 10 times this topic has been brought up (searching before posting will often get your questions answered!) but the cache on my front porch works nicely. :anibad:

This one is a TB Hotel GC14B0Z

Before it traditional cache GCZYH1 lived on my porch, and another was there before that.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Just keep in mind that geocaching is a 24/7/365 activity for some. If you are prepared to welcome them onto your property, and don't think there will be issues with the neighbors, then hide it and some will come and find it, and others will stay away.

I can't think of any bad reasons for hiding a cache in a park-as long as it isn't on or near the playground. Some parks may be better than others due to factors beyond your control, but they are still public areas designed for recreational activity.

I love to meet the people that show up to do the cache in my yard. I also have caches in the yards of a couple of relatives and they love it. We do all have larger yards so people are not right outside the door as a matter of fact it is easy for people to show up do any of them and leave before any of us know they are there. Any one who needs to know that the caches are there knows, including the police for the one in my yard (the only one located in a town).

I see no problem with putting a cache in your front yard if you provide the following in the cache description.

Your Full Name

The complete address of the house including color and other identifing information.

Your work phone number, cell phone number and home phone number.

That way if a neighbor comes after you with a shotgun you have information to back up your story.

We've probably found a dozen "at home" caches, and our biggest concern is that the coords will be wrong and we'll end up in the wrong person's yard. If the yard is big and there's no worry about being in the wrong spot, I think they're better than in small lot only 50 feet wide.

Edit to say that if you do it, it's probably a good idea to put the house number (street name probably not needed) in the description, especially if the cache is near your property line. Nothing worse than not knowing which yard to go into.

Edited by Skippermark

I hate yard caches

They can make me feel creepy

Feels like trespassing

With a name like "Bad Andy" I wouldn't figure that would matter.... :rolleyes: J/K of course.

The cache I make mention to is at a historic school house and the owners like having it there, they get to see all sorts of "funny people" lurking around looking for it. To them it doesn't make a difference because they have a historical plaque in their yard anyway and people always stop and look at it, get out and take pictures.

Cachers park in my yard to go get it mos of the time (not always).

I certainly wouldn't put a cache at my front door. The above mentioned cache is in the right of way and you don't even have to go onto their property to get it.

Thanks

DAcachers

House caches are great, we love them and ALWAYS think they are a great idea.

We have found a few and have mixed opinions.

One house cache we found was part of a failry complicated multi out in the boonies...I think it gets found about twice a year. We already knew the cache owner already, so it was not a problem for us. In fact, he was out in the yard with his grandkids when we arrived, so we got to meet them all and have a nice chat.

One house cache was a DNF the first time...we were too nervous to really look around. There were other houses very nearby, and it was a pretty nice neighborhood. We were really, really paranoid we would get stopped and questioned. After logging a DNF and subsequently getting the CO's assurance that it was OK to be there, we went back and made the find. Although it was a nicely done cache, we still felt a bit odd.

Another was at the edge of the CO's yard, in a very small village. The neighbors were watching us very closely and did not seem friendly at all. The CO did not say it was at his house, but we knew from someone else that it in fact was, and that he liked to watch people at the cache but did not come out to chat or anything. It was a tricky hide, and we felt very harassed ans stupid squatting down on the street in front of the whole neghborhood. Luckily, we finally found the darn thing, but it was not a fun experience at all. If we had NOT found it, I would not have returned to follow up the DNF.

Another was bolted to the CO's house in plain sight. All you had to do was pull into the driveway and open it up. Although it was right in town, the fact that you could head right over to the cache, unlock it, and do your stuff without poking around like a suspicious person made it OK. We were in and out in less than five minutes and never attracted anyone's attenton.

We just found a house cache this weekend. It was a tricky hide, but at least was in the end of the yard, not really close to the houses. You could park right along the road and hop out to search, and only had to venture about 50' into the yard. The Co happened to arrive home as we were looking, and he said hi then sat down to watch us. After we made the find, he came down to chat. It wasn't too bad looking, especially once he came home and made us look legit.

Moral of the story: house caches are generally stressful for the seeker, unless it's a really obvious hide! And in a really rural place!

I tend to skip caches located in yards.

Heck, I had a fellow cacher leave some coins for me in an ammo can under his steps in an unpublished cache and even though I told him the exact date and time I would be there to collect them I still felt strange going in for the goods.