Forerunner 101 vs Etrex?

fatspinster

I know the Etrex has extra functions, but I already have a Forerunner 101.

I'm disappointed in the Forerunner 101 with regards to finding caches - I have found some, but usually by using the hints, rather than the GPS. The arrow goes round in circles when I get near and sometimes I can't get a reading even when there are just a few trees about. I don't know if this is usual, as I have nothing to compare it with.

I read somewhere that the Etrex had a special chip in it to improve accuracy, but when I visited the Garmin site, it made no mention, but just said it had WAAS, which is of no use to me as I have no plans to go to North America. I am assuming this special chip is only going to help people in North America, in which case, as my Forerunner cost £60 I am hesitant to spend more money on an Etrex unless it is better.

I'm not looking for extra functionality - I am very interested to know if anyone outside North America has had a chance to compare the two with regards to accuracy.

Thanks for reading my question.

The arrow goes round in circles when I get near and sometimes I can't get a reading even when there are just a few trees about. I don't know if this is usual, as I have nothing to compare it with.

The arrow bouncing around is normal for any GPS when you get in close. The Foretrex does not have the best reception under trees. The eTrex H would be an improvement in that regard.

I read somewhere that the Etrex had a special chip in it to improve accuracy, but when I visited the Garmin site, it made no mention, but just said it had WAAS, which is of no use to me as I have no plans to go to North America. I am assuming this special chip is only going to help people in North America, in which case, as my Forerunner cost £60 I am hesitant to spend more money on an Etrex unless it is better.

The eTrex H has a special chipset that improves reception, not necessarily accuracy. There is also a similar model called the eTrex, but this doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver. If you do choose to get one, make sure it's an H.

The high sensitivity receiver works anywhere. WAAS improves accuracy but only works for the most part in North America.

Edited by briansnat

I use a Forerunner 205 for caching. The 205's and up have the "H" receiver and I find them to be very accurate for finding caches (providing the hider had good coords). Love the convenience of having it on the wrist. My brother-in-law had a 201 and had the same problem, the problem is that (especially in tree cover) you tend to lose signal with the "01" (101, 201, 301) series.

Some places are selling the 205 for as little as $149 new so may be worth eBaying your 101 for a 205. Good luck!

Thanks HaLiJuSaPa,

I was a bit too exuberant and ordered the Etrex Venture HC before I read your reply, but thanks for answering - someone else may well follow your advice, so I'm sure it won't be wasted.

I hope I did the right thing, as weight will be an issue for me, as I'm going backpacking soon and the forerunners obviously weigh much less. The Garmin site recommended the Etrex range, plus the Colorado (which really looked like the bees knees) for geocaching, so that's why I went for the one I chose.

I know that this thread is old, but wanted to chime in. I had a forerunner 101 before I started caching, so used it when I discovered the sport. I do a lot of this on horseback, and love that the 101 has the wrist strap that attaches to my saddle. For Christmas I gifted myself a new Venture HC, and I can't decide if I like it. I like that I can down load the data, but the data is incomplete (no hints, descriptions, etc). I also don't like the screens--I miss the map + compass screens being combined, and really miss the "list of nearest caches" screen. No sure if I'm keeping the Venture or sending it back. Definately keeping the 101, which seems to be nearly as accurate, and atleast doesn't guess at locations when under tree cover.

Hope this helps someone...

Appaloosa Gal

and really miss the "list of nearest caches" screen.

Your Venture HC has that screen.

like that I can down load the data, but the data is incomplete (no hints, descriptions, etc).

You can load the hints to your Venture HC using the POI loader and GSAK

which seems to be nearly as accurate, and atleast doesn't guess at locations when under tree cover.

This is where the Venture HC will blow away the Forerunner. It gets much better reception under trees.

I use a Forerunner 205 for caching. The 205's and up have the "H" receiver and I find them to be very accurate for finding caches (providing the hider had good coords). Love the convenience of having it on the wrist. My brother-in-law had a 201 and had the same problem, the problem is that (especially in tree cover) you tend to lose signal with the "01" (101, 201, 301) series.

Some places are selling the 205 for as little as $149 new so may be worth eBaying your 101 for a 205. Good luck!

The Forerunner 205 and the 305 have the SiRF star III chip---which is the one in the 60CSX (60Cx, 76Cx, and 76CSx) models. It is an awesome chipset.

The "H" models use the MTK v1, which has had some problems lately.

The Forerunner 205 and the 305 have the SiRF star III chip---which is the one in the 60CSX (60Cx, 76Cx, and 76CSx) models. It is an awesome chipset.

The "H" models use the MTK v1, which has had some problems lately.

I live on the 1st floor of a 7 story building and I usually always get satellites on my Forerunner 205 near the window and sometimes even in the center of my apartment! SiRF III is truly amazing! With the convenience of the wrist the one thing I'd love to see added to it is maps (I can live with the lack of color on the screen).