Tracking number or no tracking number? That is the question?

Boom!pa

I'm in the process of creating a new coin but am stuck with the tracking number option. Our first coin had none, the second had one and I enjoyed making both of them but for this third one, I didn't know if I should have one or not. As I see most people keep their coins anyway but I know with the first coin some people were disappointed that there was none. I thought I would do a little poll to see the importance of the tracking number and peoples thoughts. So drop a line here! Thanx!

For me - if there is no tracking number it would have to be a really neat coin that I absolutely loved to puchase it. It would have to be animal based for sure. I love my tracking numbers and if I really like the coin I buy two, one for my collection and one either to send out or build up my trading collection. :(

I am just in the middle of having a coin designed and they will definately be trackable.

Edited by Mischief's Crew

For me - if there is no tracking number it would have to be a really neat coin that I absolutely loved to puchase it. It would have to be animal based for sure. I love my tracking numbers and if I really like the coin I buy two, one for my collection and one either to send out or build up my trading collection. :(

I am just in the middle of having a coin designed and they will definately be trackable.

I'm like you myself. I don't have many geocoins but the ones I do have tracking numbers. I guess thats what makes it a geocoin! Stupid question i guess!

Without tracking #s it can't be discussed here because as you so astutely noted it's not a geocoin but a personal coin.

Speaking for the icon hoes among us let me beseech that you not forsake us.

it can always be discussed in other places.

i think trackable is over-rated, even though i do like the icons. i just don't see the need to pay so much extra for a number.

and why do so many coins have to be created before there is an icon. how much can an icon cost? seriously!

the same with whether or not a coin is activated or not. false value is added to coins that are not activated. that is something we as coiners control. so far no one has really ever given a good reason why activated coins are less valuable.

i don't release mine, so numbers don't matter. it is what the coin looks like. i never decide whether or not i want to buy a coin based on whether or not it is trackable nor if it has been activated. i figure if we want to discuss a coin, there are ways, trackable or not.

look at the coin lists, which coins are among the most desirable? non-trackables!

rsg

Without tracking #s it can't be discussed here because as you so astutely noted it's not a geocoin but a personal coin.

I do not believe this to be the case

first, a geocoin can be trackable or non-trackable

a personal geocoin can be trackable or non-trackable

second, any and all may be freely discussed

the restriction is that non-trackable geocoins may not be SOLD here on the forums

there have been plenty of discussions of non-trackable geocoins

especially the earlier ones, from before tracking was possible

also, I believe that several of the "mystery" geocoins are non-trackable

yet most have their own threads

(mostly for those who receive them to express their joy)

if a moderator would like to weigh in and correct me on this, I will stand corrected and appologize profusely

Speaking for the icon hoes among us let me beseech that you not forsake us.

it can always be discussed in other places.

i think trackable is over-rated, even though i do like the icons. i just don't see the need to pay so much extra for a number.

and why do so many coins have to be created before there is an icon. how much can an icon cost? seriously!

the same with whether or not a coin is activated or not. false value is added to coins that are not activated. that is something we as coiners control. so far no one has really ever given a good reason why activated coins are less valuable.

i don't release mine, so numbers don't matter. it is what the coin looks like. i never decide whether or not i want to buy a coin based on whether or not it is trackable nor if it has been activated. i figure if we want to discuss a coin, there are ways, trackable or not.

look at the coin lists, which coins are among the most desirable? non-trackables!

rsg

I love the icons as well and wonder why they cost so much. I am getting an icon for mine. But I do love them being trackable - probably because I do enjoy releasing them and watching them move around. I haven't seen or know where to look for non-trackable coins - but that is probably as I am still a newbie cacher and coin collector. Loving every minute of it though.

For us, trackable is definitely preferable.

We have some really nice non-trackable coins, but we like to follow a coin after we have put it out to travel. Of course, only trackables allow us to follow the coin's route.

We have coins that have found their way to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada. We enjoy the emails we receive when a cacher moves one of the coins.

We don't keep all of the coins we acquire. If we were not setting them out to travel, perhaps the trackable option wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by wigoweb

If you are going to sell your coin, you have to have tracking numbers. You can't offer them here for sale without tracking.

But, I love non-trackable coins. Especially personal coins. This is just my opinion, but I like to trade personal coins with others. It makes a connection to that person. I'm not going to send it out traveling. There are plenty of commercial coins for that.

I just got my newest personal coin, and it is not trackable. My first personal coin was. Back when I made my first personal coin, you had to make 500 coins to get an icon, so that is what I did. Then I sold enough of them to pay for the run. I figured I'd trade the rest. I did trade alot of them, but alot of people didn't need to trade because they had bought my coin.

With the new coin, I could easily afford to produce it. No need to sell any of them.

The real question is what do you hope to achieve with your coin? How do you use them? Is it a signature item? Do you release hundreds of them to travel? Is it going to be sold to cover production cost? Any non-trackable could be made trackable just by etching a TB # on it so it comes back to what are you trying to achieve? I'll buy or trade for either if it's well designed. There are so many choices now for trackable geocoins, that the only reason I can see to "need" trackability is for another icon. How important is that icon to you? Do a good enough job and people will want them regardless. I've never heard of anyone saying they'd pass on a Yime because it wasn't trackable. :ph34r:

The real question is what do you hope to achieve with your coin? How do you use them? Is it a signature item? Do you release hundreds of them to travel? Is it going to be sold to cover production cost? Any non-trackable could be made trackable just by etching a TB # on it so it comes back to what are you trying to achieve? I'll buy or trade for either if it's well designed. There are so many choices now for trackable geocoins, that the only reason I can see to "need" trackability is for another icon. How important is that icon to you? Do a good enough job and people will want them regardless. I've never heard of anyone saying they'd pass on a Yime because it wasn't trackable. :ph34r:

my point exactly! and you said it so much better. :)

rsg

my point exactly! and you said it so much better. :)

rsg

I agree completely here. I don't give a hoot wherther it is trackable or not. Its the deisgn of the coin. If I don't like the design I pass trackable or not. Being trackable is never a make or break thing with me.

When looking at my collection a lot of the ones I like the best are nontrackable. I think others have said here is that it really depends on what you intend to do with the coin. Mustang Joni said that she couldn't trade with some because they had already bought one. I haven't had anyone say they wouldn't trade with me because mine isn't trackable. However, if you want to sell them here on the forums they must be trackable.

I like the coins with a story, or made from a story best. For example I would love a mrjiffy Simply because it brings to mind the thread and the hunt (Have gotten two so far but no winners yet).

I like the mystery coins in the threads here simply for the fact of the peoples involvement. It seems to me anyway it is good to have a relationship to connect with.

Personal coins are fantastic because you can look at it it represents another user you can go look at their profile see the caches they have visited, read the logs they have left, you tend to get to know something tacit about people by reading their logs and posts, and that creates a connection, and makes the coin a higher value in my mind.

If you could just pull the coin off a wallmart shelf what fun would that be, nothing would be behind the coin to latch meaning to.

Just some simple thoughts from a simple man.