What is a Goecoin

tiny_tracey

Hi, I'm thinking of earning some pocket money by producing my own goecoins and advertising them here. ive looked at the guidelines and it seems i can advertise my own geocoins even if theyre not trackable on Groundspeak. So no problems there.

But what is the defintion of a geocoin. does it have to be metal. does it have to be round or what.

Im thinking of maybe making something out of plaster or wood. would these be acceptable. thanx

Hi, I'm thinking of earning some pocket money by producing my own goecoins and advertising them here. ive looked at the guidelines and it seems i can advertise my own geocoins even if theyre not trackable on Groundspeak. So no problems there.

But what is the defintion of a geocoin. does it have to be metal. does it have to be round or what.

Im thinking of maybe making something out of plaster or wood. would these be acceptable. thanx

If you plan to sell these coins on this forum they must be trackable on Geocaching.com

Non-trackable coins are not allowed to be sold here.

If you plan to sell these coins on this forum they must be trackable on Geocaching.com

But I read this in the forum guidelines:

Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

I thought that this meant that I could sell non trackable coins which is why i was trying to find out what a coins was thought to be.

But I read this in the forum guidelines:

Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

I thought that this meant that I could sell non trackable coins which is why i was trying to find out what a coins was thought to be.

Non-trackables can only be posted for trade for other geocoins, signature items, etc. Not for money.

Non-trackables can only be posted for trade for other geocoins, signature items, etc. Not for money.

thats not what Trade means. I just looked here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta= it up and it says

the commercial exchange (buying and selling on domestic or international markets) of goods and services

this means money to me so i should be OK

Edited by tiny_tracey

What matters here is what Groundspeak says, since this is their forum. It makes no difference what any other place says about various meanings. So, what was already said goes:

"Non-trackables can only be posted for trade for other geocoins, signature items, etc. Not for money."

That's pretty much it . . . the forum owner decides the rules.

What matters here is what Groundspeak says, since this is their forum. It makes no difference what any other place says about various meanings. So, what was already said goes:

"Non-trackables can only be posted for trade for other geocoins, signature items, etc. Not for money."

That's pretty much it . . . the forum owner decides the rules.

No, what the guideline says is

This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

It doesnt say anything about not for money. It talks about "coin sale" which means money to me. maybe the person in charge of this forum can tell us.

Please make sure you have this straight in your own mind before you start. E-mail Groundspeak for conformation of what we say. Or maybe a Moderator will pipe in here. I would really hate for you to go to a lot of effort to make a non-trackable item, expecting to sell it here, and then find out that you can't.

BTW, it sounds like you might have some good ideas for a creative signature item that other cachers might enjoy finding in caches.

I can read the guideline so im ok with that. but what is a "coin". Does it HAVE to be metal.

No, it does not have to be metal, but it does have to be a design and material approved by Groundspeak to be trackable. So far I've seen metal, porcelain, compressed coal/resin composite and whatever polymer geogems are made of. They seem to be pretty open as long as the material is very durable. Hope that helps. :(

a creative signature item that other cachers might enjoy finding in caches.

You are assuming that the person goes caching... and Fox and Hound is right, you will need to get the designs approved by Groundspeak before you sell them. The forum rules are pretty simple.

Yes, problem. Please read the guidelines that are pinned at the top of this forum thoroughly. Your coin must be trackable on www.geocaching.com to be posted for sale in here.

Please read this link. Also, there are informational threads posted at the top of these forums with great reference links like this one, that have tons of information about geocoins.

If made of wood, it is called a wooden nickel, if made of plaster, it will most likely break apart in cache.

Many people make their own handmade signature items. They put them in caches for others to collect.

They are mostly either geocaching related or personally related. If you want them to sell here, you need to make them trackable on geocaching.com, which means you need to purchase a block of tracking numbers.

The information for creating a geocoin can be found here, in the Groundspeak knowledge base. You need to read that. A non-trackable coin sale thread will be not be allowed

OK, as one of the two moderators here I will chime in.

The posts below are 100% correct.

No, it does not have to be metal, but it does have to be a design and material approved by Groundspeak to be trackable. So far I've seen metal, porcelain, compressed coal/resin composite and whatever polymer geogems are made of. They seem to be pretty open as long as the material is very durable. Hope that helps. :(

No it doesn't have to be metal ~ to sell it here it has to be trackable, meaning you buy tracking numbers from Groundspeak for $1.50 each. ;)

Thankx for the help, i'll ask my mom if its ok to make these coins. what calnedars are you talking about Martybartfast

Don't forget to mention to Mom that you also need $1.50 PER TRACKING number, and there is a minimum number that you must purchase. If and when you decide to make this coin let me know, and I will reopen this thread. Since I don't think you understand that they have to be trackable to post them for sale here, and how much money you will need up front, I am closing this thread until you get design and parental approval.