Feature Identification

Juicepig

well its happened...

I saw something on a map and I can't figure out what it is:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...&iwloc=addr

Anyone have any ideas? Usually interesting geologic features have articles written by the Ontario government, but there doesn't seem to be one for this mound.

All that i can find on the internet about the mound is that:

- Traffic sucks (as the road is very steep on both sides, causes lots of accidents)

- its called "Black Bank Hill"

- There is a communications tower on top that the neighbours arent fond of

Geologically:

- It is on TOP of the niagra escarpment, which is know for its large limestone cliffs, and occassional massive waterfall. Rocks below the soil are Dolostone.

- Ground is dirt with occassional boulder, suspect glacial feature of some sort

Can anyone tell me what this mystery earth-zit is? :(

Edited by Juicepig

Could be a .... oh sure now I forget the name.

What do you call it when a glacier has a hole in the middle of it and melted water (and rocks, dirt, etc.) flow to the hole and through it and deposit themselves in a shape just like this?

Many high points in an area like ours are from glacial features just like this.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

It looks like an Adena mound like this

c03703d9-5455-4c03-9465-ed82a51e6ccc.jpg

The Adena lived in a wide area including much of present day Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky and parts of Pennsylvania and New York. Being that is is just north of that "general" area, it could have been along a trade route.

Edited by BiT

I've been looking off and on all day and wasn't coming up with anything. With the correct term I found some info. I don't get to see much glacial geology, so that is new to me. I'm glad to learn something new.

The Dufferin County website supports that idea. "The Town of Mono and Mulmur Township are dominated by kame moraines which are very hilly and stony. "

The Dufferin County Forest twenty-year plan has a similar description.

Both are general to the entire county and do not specificaly mention Black Bank Hill. Sometimes that's the best reference you are going to get.

Edited by TerryDad2

The Adena lived in a wide area including much of present day Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky and parts of Pennsylvania and New York. Being that is is just north of that "general" area, it could have been along a trade route.

Actually I have a cache at a mound about an hour north of the object in the structure - That one is definately man made, but noone knows by whom. The theory i focus on in the cache description is actually vikings - all beit far fetched!

Thanks! I will look into that too!

I would aggree w/BiT. The conical shape, the NE SW alignment of both, and the fact they are on the top of a hill would lead me to think that these may be Mound Builder Features...

Why didn't the road go around this feature rather than over it?

The reason the road did not go around the hill is probably because it was a kame and not a actual mound. Depending on how old the road is, I can almost guarantee state archeologists looked at the hill and any area that may hold Native Amarican artifacts before the road was built. I am pretty sure its a kame beause of how far north it is.

Most burial mounds are in the bigger river valleys along the Ohio. Mississippi, and Illinois just to name a few.

I would aggree w/BiT. The conical shape, the NE SW alignment of both, and the fact they are on the top of a hill would lead me to think that these may be Mound Builder Features...

Why didn't the road go around this feature rather than over it?

Canada has different regulations than the US when it comes to Cultural Resources Management but the laws and regulations are most likely very similar. Prior to the early 1970s most Cultural Resources were bulldozed if they were in or near the right-of-way. Some were even used as borrow piles for fill locations along proposed road right-of-ways. I don't know the age of the road but chances are that civil engineers didn't give a darn if it was a mound. Their only thought, "The road must go through".

Mounds and mound building cultures were prevalent in the Midwest, South, South East, and Great Plains states of the US and spilled over into Canada (I cannot locate a mound distribution map for Canada).

31398491-4e01-4d59-bf48-2e0c52f7268a.jpg

The Mound Builders lived during the Middle Woodland period (200 - 300 B.C. to A.D. 700 - 900) This is the time when mortuary ceremonialism appears to have reached a peak. It was at this time that the most exotic items were included in burials and most of the known burial mounds and later earthworks were constructed. These include the Serpent Mound at Rice Lake, a burial mound which was shaped like a giant snake (similar to Serpent Mound in Ohio), and the mounds at Rainy River. Much of the elaboration in mortuary ceremonialism is attributed to contact with the Adena and Hopewellian peoples in the Ohio Valley. This influence appears to end around A.D. 250 and after this time burial ceremonialism appears to decrease.

Edited by BiT

Now to throw a curve to y'all. It could be a native burial mound and a kame.

The Glacial Kame Culture were in the area of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, andSouthern Ontario. They lived from around 10,000 to 3,000 BP. They were named by the archaeological remains that were discovered on top of hills of glacial gravel. The often prepared dominate or distinctive locations from the nearby surroundings.

Now to throw a curve to y'all. It could be a native burial mound and a kame.

I would vote for maybe both, definately not a native burial mound alone, and most likely a kame.

I base this on Juicepig's link to Google Earth in his origianl post. Just eyeballing it - it looks like the base of the mound is about 1,000 ft in diameter and the top is about 400 ft. Bigger than any indian burial mound I've ever seen.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Thank you all!

I agree it looks way too big for a man-made object (atleast without attracting more attention from archeologists)... giant ants however... hmmm

I suspect it is a Kame, but Kames are rather common around this area - and there are far better examples. Thank you all for your voices and history lessons!

JP

I wonder if this is the feature in question. If it is, it definitely is not a mound. I don't know in what direction the individual that took this image was facing.

67d64686-0149-416e-b8d7-4e3320878eec.jpg

Also, I find it odd that this feature doesn't show on the topographic map.

c47ca980-2d65-46ec-9650-1aa82afd8447.jpg

post-1065678-1218841848.jpg

Well the feature sort of shows up on the Topo.

I am not sure on the Revision Date of this Topo?

The Road, 1st Line East, shows as a dashed line N of Rt 21, Google gives the impression of a more permanent road.

Chances are the Topo shows signs of “artistic freedom” used in cartography prior to aerial imagery.

I’d love to see a LIDAR image on this one…