Making the Case for Geocaching Organization

Team GeoBlast

Aloha,

Here in Hawaii, we do not have an official Geocaching organization and the formation of one is currently being discussed among some active cachers. The opinions range from raw enthusiasm to rank skepticism.

I'm curious to hear some input from those who either had a hand in starting, have served in any capacity in a regional Geocaching organization, or are a member of such a group on the pros and cons of forming an organized group. Why did you organize? What benefits do you think the local cachers glean by the existence of your group? What do you personally get out of serving in your organization? Do you wish you never organized? What are the main problems and concerns that you encounter? Has your group succeeded in solidifying or dividing your local Geocaching community?

TGB

Here's a few snippits based on my personal observations and experiences.

- Having an organized organization will keep many geocachers more involved. It gives them a sense of community. You will even find that some geocachers will become active in the organization meanwhile the only logs they make are to the events the organization hosts.

- You will always have division of some sort. Sometimes it is minimal (a few disgruntled geocachers), and sometimes its a full out battle for authority. Most of us dislike politics but we tend to get involved when it happens.

- Organization means money and budget, taxes and tax exempt forms and paperwork.

- Local organization tend to have more (and bigger) events.

- You get to create a cool logo.

I'll post more as I think of them.

I think that word organization has negative connotation. Geocaching is a cool tech game, and (in my opinion) an "organization" would take the fun out of it. That doesn't mean that set up a local informal geocaching group, they are fun. You can put together small events to get to know local cachers, the gathering may grow, more organized with time and eventually you may get your organization. I would suggests to start small and go from there. Good Luck

I think that word organization has negative connotation. Geocaching is a cool tech game, and (in my opinion) an "organization" would take the fun out of it. That doesn't mean that set up a local informal geocaching group, they are fun. You can put together small events to get to know local cachers, the gathering may grow, more organized with time and eventually you may get your organization. I would suggests to start small and go from there. Good Luck

Good point. Can you suggest a better word that would leave the fun in it? Are you a member of an organiz.. or ah, group?

To others reading this thread, you are all we have. A big bad mod put the kibosh on us posting this to another region for feedback. So.. please help us navigate these uncharted waters!. Anything that comes to mind, we'd like to hear it.

PS: Moose.. I never considered this an Icon Opportunity :ph34r: thanks for all your input too!

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Since the Northwest thread got closed, I thought I'd wander over here and throw my two cents worth into the discussion.

I've been the president of the Washington State Geocaching Association for the past two years, and a member of the association for 4 years or so, so I may be a little biased :ph34r: but I do think the group has been a good thing for Washington.

We started with one statewide group, and as the number of members grew around the state, we've spun off several different regional chapters, all operating under the WSGA banner. Annual dues are $12.00, which gives members a embroidered patch and a laminated nametag each year, and discounts on our annual statewide campout and on purchase of WSGA geocoins.

Having a statewide presence has been helpful in negotiations with Washington State Parks to develop and maintain a mutually acceptable policy on placement of caches on state parks property.

We maintain a WSGA website, which allows us a voice for responding to media questions, requests for guest speakers, and inquiries from the general public.

Funds from the sale of WSGA geocoins, the annual membership dues, and sales of other incidentals like t-shirts and lanyards, helps to fund chapter events around the state, subsidize our summer campout, and maintain our website.

We have a board of directors -- president, VP, secretary, and treasurer, along with one member from each of the regional chapters. Most of our meetings are held online, so we don't all have to try to meet in one central location for a face to face meeting.

I can't think of any downsides to the WSGA -- we're a pretty laid-back group, so we haven't had any problems with power struggles or political battles. We've got a great pool of talent on our board, and the support of members to keep things running smoothly.

Hope that helps!

Team GeoBlast,

I sent an e-mail to the address shown in your profile but the message bounced with a statement that the mailbox is full. Please give me another e-mail address or let me know when the mailbox I used has space available. You can contact me through my profile.

-Brad

Checking in from the Northeast here! I'm a member of the NNJC (Northern New Jersey Cachers), and I've got absolutely no complaints about it. Really, it's more of a community thing than anything; that, and it facilitates organizing events, since it naturally brings together the more socially-oriented cachers. They don't collect dues or anything; as far as I know, their only revenue comes from shirts, coins, and the like, and mostly goes to producing more of them and upkeep for the website. It's not what you'd call a big-money operation. :anibad: You can contact the board members through NNJC.org if you want to know more.

Since the Northwest thread got closed, I thought I'd wander over here and throw my two cents worth into the discussion.

I've been the president of the Washington State Geocaching Association for the past two years, and a member of the association for 4 years or so, so I may be a little biased :laughing: but I do think the group has been a good thing for Washington.

We started with one statewide group, and as the number of members grew around the state, we've spun off several different regional chapters, all operating under the WSGA banner. Annual dues are $12.00, which gives members a embroidered patch and a laminated nametag each year, and discounts on our annual statewide campout and on purchase of WSGA geocoins.

Having a statewide presence has been helpful in negotiations with Washington State Parks to develop and maintain a mutually acceptable policy on placement of caches on state parks property.

We maintain a WSGA website, which allows us a voice for responding to media questions, requests for guest speakers, and inquiries from the general public.

Funds from the sale of WSGA geocoins, the annual membership dues, and sales of other incidentals like t-shirts and lanyards, helps to fund chapter events around the state, subsidize our summer campout, and maintain our website.

We have a board of directors -- president, VP, secretary, and treasurer, along with one member from each of the regional chapters. Most of our meetings are held online, so we don't all have to try to meet in one central location for a face to face meeting.

I can't think of any downsides to the WSGA -- we're a pretty laid-back group, so we haven't had any problems with power struggles or political battles. We've got a great pool of talent on our board, and the support of members to keep things running smoothly.

Hope that helps!

That does help, a lot. In fact, it just goes to reinforce my experience that Geocaching folks are a cut above when it comes to helping others out. I'd like to thank you and everyone else who took the time to share their experiences in their own organization here and also the great and very complete responses that I've gotten via email.

Edited by Team GeoBlast