Is this legal?

Matty_22

I'm pondering hiding a multi cache with a twist, but want to make sure this idea is kosher. I want to hide the first stage and place inside it lots of copies of keys. Each key would be the same and each finder would take one of the keys to unlock some waterproof, lockbox that I would hide for the final stage of the cache.

I know that I've not found any multicaches with keys, usually just coordinates for the final, thought this might be a fun change. I didn't see anything in the hiding rules against it so I'm throwing it out there to you guys!

Thanks,

Matty_22

Sounds like a cool idea.

I don't know why it wouldn't be legal/kosher.

The only problems I can think of are:

1. Won't that get expensive?

2. If the keys get wet, you might have a big, rusty mess.

Good luck with it.

Yeah I was thinking of cost. Going to see how much copies would be before I go ahead and do this! Could also keep the keys in a ziplock.

I'm pondering hiding a multi cache with a twist, but want to make sure this idea is kosher. I want to hide the first stage and place inside it lots of copies of keys. Each key would be the same and each finder would take one of the keys to unlock some waterproof, lockbox that I would hide for the final stage of the cache.

I know that I've not found any multicaches with keys, usually just coordinates for the final, thought this might be a fun change. I didn't see anything in the hiding rules against it so I'm throwing it out there to you guys!

Thanks,

Matty_22

I've seen locked caches with keys hidden close by (for ease of replacement) in micro containers.

Under Lock and Key

Determination

The Pit

In most cases, there are several keys but only ONE works.

The only problem I see with a multi is getting your keys replaced

Thanks,

Matty_22

I've seen locked caches with keys hidden close by (for ease of replacement) in micro containers.

Under Lock and Key

Determination

The Pit

Right I hadn't thought of that. My original plan was to just keep getting copies and putting them in the first stage to replace those used. Perhaps the caches should be closer and ask the finders to return the keys to the first stage...thanks!

Under Lock and Key

Determination

The Pit

Right I hadn't thought of that. My original plan was to just keep getting copies and putting them in the first stage to replace those used. Perhaps the caches should be closer and ask the finders to return the keys to the first stage...thanks!

Check with your local locksmith. They often have lots of extra keys that were cut wrong, defective or otherwise worthless. You might be able to get them for free or near free.

I just did a multi cache here locally that was similar. The first cache had two keys and waypoints. You needed one to unlock a lock to get a combo. The other key opened the box to get to the combo lock. It was very well done, but when we found it, one of the keys was missing, so the potential for higher maintenance issues is there. As much as you try you can't idiot proof the cache because there is always the bigger idiot out there. Just be sure to keep copies of the keys.

Thanks,

Matty_22

Under Lock and Key

Determination

The Pit

Or ask them to leave them in the final stage. You could keep going out to replace them in the first stage. But, you would still have to expect a lot of them to disappear.

Thanks,

Matty_22

It's legit. Haven't seek this kind of brute force puzzle before either.

Another variation I've seen on a cache that required a key was called Ancient Artery. I know it's not really what you're looking to do, but just another option to get your ideas flowing. The cache itself was locked, and it required the finder to first find the key, which was a travelbug. In addition, the cache was not at the listed coords, and the correct coords were with the key.

Something like this would save you the trouble of making multiple copies of the key, but it could be frustrating to others if they're constantly going out to grab the TB just to find someone had just picked it up before them.

Edited by Mr. 0

Another variation I've seen on a cache that required a key was called Ancient Artery. I know it's not really what you're looking to do, but just another option to get your ideas flowing. The cache itself was locked, and it required the finder to first find the key, which was a travelbug. In addition, the cache was not at the listed coords, and the correct coords were with the key.

Something like this would save you the trouble of making multiple copies of the key, but it could be frustrating to others if they're constantly going out to grab the TB just to find someone had just picked it up before them.

We have one in San Diego that is an ammo box with a bicycle lock with a combination.

What is to prevent the finder from taking all of the keys to the final location? I know I would hate to walk back and forth from the stages to open the final. We have one here in the Sacramento area called Pandora's Box, GCG8V3. With this cache you must find Pandora's Key, which is a TB key meant to stay in the Sacramento Area. Once you find the key it gives you the correct coordinates for this cache. It has a pad lock that will be opened with this TB. It is very fun an competitive to find.

Read the cache page for some more info. The only negative is if someone holds the key, as is the case right now, and doesn't place it into another cache for others to find.

What is to prevent the finder from taking all of the keys to the final location? I know I would hate to walk back and forth from the stages to open the final. We have one here in the Sacramento area called Pandora's Box, GCG8V3. With this cache you must find Pandora's Key, which is a TB key meant to stay in the Sacramento Area. Once you find the key it gives you the correct coordinates for this cache. It has a pad lock that will be opened with this TB. It is very fun an competitive to find.

Read the cache page for some more info. The only negative is if someone holds the key, as is the case right now, and doesn't place it into another cache for others to find.

What I did was gave the coordinates for the final stage and hid three different keys in three different micro containers within 15-20 paces of the final. I did not give the coordinates for the micros. So once the finder finds the locked cache container, he then has to find the three keys located in a 20 pace radius from the cache. Hopefully it works out, we'll see.

I had a cache with a combo lock and gave a number of ways to get the combination. One was to find a travel bug that was not to leave the county. It had the combination on it. Another was to find 4 micro caches hidden

over a 3 mile hike, each with a number inside it. Finally I hid a portion of the combination in some of my other caches.

The cache was a short hike from a road, so people who preferred short walks could find the cache via the TB or clues found in other caches . People who preferred longer hikes could search for the micros.

Edited by briansnat

Wasn't there something like this on The Amazing Race once? Only the final was a combination lock, not a keyed type. (That way you don't have to keep replacing them.) They had to collect the numbers from the hint caches and then figure out what order they go to unlock the lock.

The only issue might be a non-cacher stumbling across a padlocked ammo box and not understanding and calling the authorities. There have been a lot of instances of the bomb-squads taking a serious run at unidentified and misunderstood cache boxes in the news lately.

UncaBee

Wasn't there something like this on The Amazing Race once? Only the final was a combination lock, not a keyed type. (That way you don't have to keep replacing them.) They had to collect the numbers from the hint caches and then figure out what order they go to unlock the lock.

For my cache I had a key written on the bottom of the ammo can with the order of the combination. The clues were written like A=1, B-2, C=3, D=4 and on the bottom of the ammo box it said Combination = BDCA.

The only issue might be a non-cacher stumbling across a padlocked ammo box and not understanding and calling the authorities.

That definitely is an issue. Also the probability that non geocachers who find it will have their interest piqued

by a box with a lock on it and it's more likely to be stolen or damaged. So a cache like this one should be hidden well off the beaten path and concealed very well.

Edited by briansnat