Garmins

spellerfamily

I have been on to the Garmin website and have read up on all the different GPSr available, but I have a question. Many people have mentioned on this forum, along with other forums that I have come across that they use the etrex H. However, when you go onto the Garmin site, there is a little bit that tells you whether a system is 'Geocaching friendly' or not. Is there any reason why some would be geocache friendly, and others not?? Does anyone use the etrx H for caching??

Please advise, as I wish to know conclusively prior to making my purchase.

Many thanks

Nearly all handheld GPS units are geocaching friendly. The eTrex H is certainly one.

One thing to consider though. If you become even mildly into geocaching, a PC connection is essential.

While the eTrex H connects to a PC it does so by a serial port and does not come with a cable. So unless you have an ancient PC with a serial connection, you will need to buy a data cable for the GPS and a USB/Serial converter. They run about 30 bucks each.

When you add that into the cost of the unit, you are above the cost of a Venture HC. The Venture HC is a much better unit than the eTrex H, as it has a color display, fast USB connection, mapping capability and the ability to store more waypoints. It doesn't come with a USB cable, but you likely already have one if you have a digitial camera, certain cell phones or other electronics that use a PC connection.

Depending on your budget you might want to consider the Garmin Colorado as you can download cache information directly into so you have cache details, web pages, hints and logs all conveniently to hand. They are quite expensive - well in the UK they are about £260 which means they'll be around $250 (how annoying for us over here :(

But any of the Garmin range is fine for caching. As Brian said, the 'lower' spec models like the yellow Etrex are just a bit fiddly to use and don't have a USB connection.

Pay your money, make your choice ;)

Chris (MrB)

Depending on your budget you might want to consider the Garmin Colorado as you can download cache information directly into so you have cache details, web pages, hints and logs all conveniently to hand. They are quite expensive - well in the UK they are about £260 which means they'll be around $250 $500-$600 (how annoying for us over here :(

But any of the Garmin range is fine for caching. As Brian said, the 'lower' spec models like the yellow Etrex are just a bit fiddly to use and don't have a USB connection.

Pay your money, make your choice ;)

Chris (MrB)

Fixed.

Nearly all handheld GPS units are geocaching friendly. The eTrex H is certainly one.

One thing to consider though. If you become even mildly into geocaching, a PC connection is essential.

While the eTrex H connects to a PC it does so by a serial port and does not come with a cable. So unless you have an ancient PC with a serial connection, you will need to buy a data cable for the GPS and a USB/Serial converter. They run about 30 bucks each.

When you add that into the cost of the unit, you are above the cost of a Venture HC. The Venture HC is a much better unit than the eTrex H, as it has a color display, fast USB connection, mapping capability and the ability to store more waypoints. It doesn't come with a USB cable, but you likely already have one if you have a digitial camera, certain cell phones or other electronics that use a PC connection.

I know experienced cachers have probably been asked these questions a million times before, and I have read so many reviews that my mind is now pickled!!!

In all honestly, I was looking to buy a second hand unit - this is a fairly new hobby for us, and whilst we are thouroughly enjoying it, we really only have a budget of up to about £70. I have looked on ebay, and the geko 101 seems to be going for around £40 plus about £5 p&P so this would be fine.

The point of us getting into it was that it is a relatively cost free activity which the kids like - it gets them out in the fresh air with a purpose, and if we are lucky, we get to take home a new item. (my 3 yr old was thrilled with the pack of tissues he took from our first ever cache). It is only after going on a 3 mile circular walk where we found none of our expected 3 caches without a GPS that we decided that we probably ought to buy one. Obviously we want one that will be the best for our needs - will survive being dropped, played with by a 3 and a 6 yr old, is easy to use for a complete technophobe, and will actually get us quite close to the location.

Therefore, can anyone suggest which units would be best for us?? Why would the garmin site say that some units are not geocache friendly? What is the main difference between ones that have maps and ones that don't.

Sorry to ask so many questions - we like to feel fully informed before diving in and buying such gadgets.

I know experienced cachers have probably been asked these questions a million times before, and I have read so many reviews that my mind is now pickled!!!

In all honestly, I was looking to buy a second hand unit - this is a fairly new hobby for us, and whilst we are thouroughly enjoying it, we really only have a budget of up to about £70. I have looked on ebay, and the geko 101 seems to be going for around £40 plus about £5 p&P so this would be fine.

The point of us getting into it was that it is a relatively cost free activity which the kids like - it gets them out in the fresh air with a purpose, and if we are lucky, we get to take home a new item. (my 3 yr old was thrilled with the pack of tissues he took from our first ever cache). It is only after going on a 3 mile circular walk where we found none of our expected 3 caches without a GPS that we decided that we probably ought to buy one. Obviously we want one that will be the best for our needs - will survive being dropped, played with by a 3 and a 6 yr old, is easy to use for a complete technophobe, and will actually get us quite close to the location.

Therefore, can anyone suggest which units would be best for us?? Why would the garmin site say that some units are not geocache friendly? What is the main difference between ones that have maps and ones that don't.

Sorry to ask so many questions - we like to feel fully informed before diving in and buying such gadgets.

I have the 60csx and I just recently bought my young daughters the Venture CX. It does not have the high sensitivity receiver as the Venture HC but does have the expanded memory, mapping, and routing. They have been very successful at finding their caches and we really haven't run into problems with not receiving satellite reception. If we did than we would rely on my GPSr. I was able to get 2 for just under $200.00 a while back.

I've been using an Etrex Vista C for about 3 years with the topographic map loaded in. If I had to purchase one today, I would purchase one with removable media (like microSD cards) because it is much better to load maps on a card and then just change the card as needed. I believe an Etrex Vista HCx fits that requirement. It is also much more sensitive than my old Vista so it can keep a GPS signal in deep foliage and near tall buildings.

What makes a Garmin "geocache friendly" is the addition of some extra geocache features. These include special waypoint symbols for found and not-yet-found geocaches and the ability for the unit to automatically change that symbol when you find a cache. They have a find geocache function where it will give you a list of only geocache waypoints in order by distance from your current location. When you find a geocache, it will automatically tell you what the next closest cache is and ask if you want to go to it. Also, when you log a cache found, it will put a note in the calendar. When you get home, you can simply look at today's date on the calendar and you have a list of the GC# for all caches you found, which makes it easier for logging them online.

A GPS that is not geocache friendly will still work, but will not have any of the logging features or automatic waypoint symbol changing, etc. It may or may not have the geocache box symbols (but most of them do).

I've had an etrex vista for many years. The only good thing about it is the size. I dislike pretty much everything else about the etrex series. Screen is way too small, screen navigation is more difficult, accuracy is poor (smaller antenna).

My current front line GPS is the GPSMAP 76CSx. The large color screen makes a huge difference. The speed and accuracy is astounding. The geocaching features are pretty nice, although I very rarely use the navigation function for land travel, as I'm a better navigator via a topographic map than any silly machine showing you a straight line. I'm not in a helicopter, so using the "go to" function usually only happens when I actually find a cache, and that is just to log it as found to get the calendar entry and symbol change.

In my opinion, maps are extremely important for navigation. A non-map GPS will show a dot for you and a dot for your waypoint, but show you nothing about how to get from here to there. I would consider that a waste of money, but then I rely on GPS for much more than geocaching.

Edited by SSO JOAT

I would only add that it depends on how much "gadget" you want.

I am a minimalist at heart. I am using a Geko 201, which I bought from a pawn shop for $60, and a small 3x5 note pad and pencil. I get 11-12 hours from two 'AAA' batteries and only turn the GPS on after I arrive onsite using map and compass.

Cheers!

If I could by a Colorado for $250; I would. Try $350+.

I purchased a reconditioned 60Cx on Ebay for my niece, and she has used it successfully for about two years. Everything about it seems fine. You can also purchase reconditioned GPS from CPSCity.com. This is where I purchased my two GPSrs. The first was an etrex Legend. It worked well for the first 150 finds, and then I think I closed it in the trunk lid one too many tomes, or it cooked on my dash. I see Garmin eTrex stile GPSrs on sale in stores and the web for as little as $95. You can definitely pick one up for $120.

Good luck and happy caching.

Edited by JATurtle

I had the eTrex H and it was fine but I didn't like having to manually enter my coordinates. If it had a keypad that would be a different story but the manual method of entering numbers and text is tedious. It's like using that godawful little pencil eraser type mouse that used to be on old laptops and was more annoying than attempting to text on a cell phone. It came with a cable to download coordinates however when I realized I had to get an adapter to use it with my laptop (and couldn't even find the darn thing) I took it back to the store and bought the Garmin Venture from Amazon. The maps seem more detailed, the backlighting is better for my aging eyes, and the USB cable is so quick and easy. The controls are exactly the same as the other model so all I had to get used to was the minor differences in the screens. I got mine on Amazon for about $125.

I've been really happy with my eTrex Legend C. It's "geocaching friendly", you can download maps to it (*not* free), decent reception, USB connection, and fairly cheap when bought slightly used ($75 - $100 US). I think it's a really good choice for the beginning or casual geocacher.

Edited by MrLuckyPants

So unless you have an ancient PC with a serial connection,

most new desktops still come with serial connections

Not Dells, I had to pay extra for one and that was 2 years ago. Can't speak for any other mfr.

ahh i see. im using too brand new HP's(at work) and the both have one.

Our office uses Dell. The Techys order the configuration without a serial port. I had a mouse I didn’t want to give up, so they gave me a converter so I could plug it into a USB. I wouldn’t want to download any significant data through one. Not unless you want to go to the movies while you are waiting.

I use an ancient Garmin etrex and it works fine. No special features. I do get annoyed with having to enter cords manually and wish I could get the cache webpage, log, etc on it but oh well. Get what you pay for. If I get more serious maybe I beg for an upgrade for Christmas. :-)

Hi there... etrex ancient??? I'm still using my 45xl 4 channel... and it still gets me where I need to go...

It is a bit more dodgy in trees and canyons though... Still working on techniques for those spots... or pass.

Another problem I find is in overall precision... most times the processor can only give me several metres at best radius... however I can't afford to dispose of it, the darn thing was expensive back in the 90's.

Still shopping for a newer one though.

My son and I have been using a Garmin Vista HCx for about a month now. I love it. Originally we bought the yellow etrex, but due to the issue of cables, we decided to send it back and get a model that came with the usb cable, and a color screen. We have not bought any cards with topo maps yet, but I can see how that would be very helpful... All in all it is easy to use, and I know that we will eventually learn how to use all of the "extras" that are included.... Hope this helps from a couple of newbies, ourselves!!!

The Venture HC is a much better unit than the eTrex H, as it has a color display, fast USB connection, mapping capability and the ability to store more waypoints. It doesn't come with a USB cable, ....
It does. I just bought a Venture HC and the cable was included. Garmin lists it as being "in the box" when you buy one:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8707

But as you said, most of us already have the cable if we have a digital camera or an MP3 player that uses the small USB connector. Not a biggie.

I brought a Etrex H because its simple to use for a beginner, displayed all that i wanted it too and was cheap at the time (plus i work at Blacks and get a nice staff discount too ;)). I did have to get the serial cable seperate (in sale these go from £29.99 to £9.99) and luckily my acer computer supported it. I find it very simple to use with geocaching dot com (uploading cache cordinates to the unit), memory map and topo too.

However! However I find the best accuracy I can get is 11ft, thus can sometimes miss the cache and a bit of searching is required - but it has been very good on signal for me. I don't think I will upgrade to another unit for a long long while (or until the GPS finally gives up on me) because all you basically need is just for the unit to find the long/lat and you're away!

A nice unit but I will only recommend that someone gets one if their computer has a supporting serial cable port. (and that you have no use for an electronic compass as the unti doesn't support one!)

Today the Venture HC was spot-on. I got two cache finds and one benchmark find, and every time the unit got me to within 2 feet before the pointer started going berserk. Yesterday I had a few finds and it seemed to go no better than 5 feet. Guess it depends a lot on the satellites in the sky and the signal strength.

Well DUH! I just realized how stupid that sounded :D

We have a Garmin Etrax as well, the basic model. Today we found (2) caches and the accuracy was just horrible, we are on top of the cache and it was reading 51ft away with accuracy within 20ft.

It got us to the general area but we did a little searching from there.

:rolleyes: Geo-Ninjas :ph34r:

How do you know that your unit wasn't perfect, but rather the hider's coordinates were off?

I just bought my Garmin Oregon400t yesterday and it came with USB cable in the box. I have yet to go geocaching with this unit, but I loved the Colorado I borrowed from a friend ,and this is like the Colorado but with touchscreen goodness. :rolleyes:

-marqueA2

Edited by marqueA2