Convince me that I need GSAK

When I first started caching a couple of years ago, I was advised by friends that a "must have" for successful geocaching was GSAK. I installed it on my PC, but never really saw the point of it other than a huge database for caches, found and unfound. It slowed my PC right down too so it became almost unusable.

Since a hard-disk crash last year, I haven't bothered to re-install it and I get along just fine. I can load my PQ's into my GPSr using Mapsource, update my PDA using cachemate and generally get any other information I need from the cache pages.

So what are the main advantages of using GSAK? What will it do for me that I can't do now, other than waste a lot of time when I could be out caching?

If you are a casual geocacher like me- I do maybe 10 a year- I think GSAK is way overkill. For those that geocaching has become an occupation it becomes useful as a database and a means to customize what goes into your GPS for each cache so you don't need reams of paper to take with you as you go caching. If you are looking for alternatives, there is a product called geobuddy which I think has a nicer interface, but I am not sure if it is as flexible as GSAK.

Edited by MacFlash

OK... I do need it! I use a pocket pc (Mio P550 with built in GPS). So I need a database of caches on it. The PQ goes into GSAK and out comes all the html files to run locally on the ppc (descriptions etc) so I don't need an internet connection, a file for Cachemate, a file for Memory Map (UK mapping software) which lets me see all the caches as icons on detailed topo maps. Finally I do another file for TomTom which again shows all the caches with icons when I'm in the car - totally paperless, saving the planet and all thanks to GSAK :(;)

But... my wife has a Colorado so the PQ goes straight into it and she doesn't need GSAK.

So depending how you cache you want it or you don't :D

Chris (MrB)

I couldn't keep track of things without gsak. I have to load 4 differnt gps-r's when I go out caching (for the family). I like to be able to filter the list to see if other people have had at least 2 DNF in the log so I don't go to those caches because more than likley they are missing. I also have to use the macros for gsak for getting cache info into my mobile tomtom for my custom POIs.

I used to use GSAK to do stuff for my PDA like exporting the database to my cachemate after I customize the cache list. I also exported Steets and trips data out from gsak to my pda for my pocket streets application. Since I bought the colorado, I don't have to do that anymore but it is a very helpful tool.

The macros people design for GSAK are incredible and real time savers. Not sure what type of computer you have but I have multiple databases with thousands of caches in there and it runs smooth for me.

...What will it do for me that I can't do now, other than waste a lot of time when I could be out caching?

When you like your GPX file of logs to have all logs, you can use GSAK to keep them all in one spot. The Groundspak "all finds" pocket query doesn't (or didn't) have all logs. Just finds.

The other function that I used GSAK for was as a GUI for GPSbable. Now GPSBable has a GUI so I'm good there.

There are a lot of things that GSAK does that I don't use. I only like working with one PQ at a time unless I specificly want to combine them. GSAK works the other dirction. It combines everthing unless I spend time telling it otherwise. There is probably a way to reverse that but I've not learned it.

I like the ability to merge databases or to create subsets of a larger database. I often want to run large PQs, filter out certain things, and then merge the smaller files into one file for the PDA and gps. It is more flexible than the simple filters on the PQ order page.

For instance, we recently took a trip covering a couple of thousand of miles. I ran separate PQs for puzzles, and added back in (to the main file) the ones I solved before we left and the ones I found were actually simple two step multis. I also eliminated caches that were far off our route (using mapsource).

For that trip, I began with 4000 caches, and easily and quickly eliminated all but 700 of them. The 700 covered our entire route very well, and left us with a smaller set of caches we were reasonable sure we would enjoy.

Locally, it makes it easy to sort for caches that haven't been found recently or that have many DNFs and pull them up to view. I might go after a toughie that has a lot of DNFs, but I may prefer to skip a cache that is just not well maintained.

It makes it easy to find caches by one particular cacher, or caches that are in one direction from a starting point, or caches of a particular type/difficulty/size when I want a particular type of experience. For example, some days I just want to find all the easier caches in one part of town--without running a separate PQ, I can filter out the more difficult caches, copy them and make a "new" database, then sort those caches by distance or direction from one cache I choose as a starting point.

Yes you need it, you won't know why you need it until you want to do something really cool, then you will take the time to learn how to do it. I am still a total novice and was really confused at the GSAK class at GWVI, but I continue to make baby steps and use it daily. Yes you need it and you can't live without it...okay that is probably a but much, but you can't live well without it. :(

So what are the main advantages of using GSAK? What will it do for me that I can't do now, other than waste a lot of time when I could be out caching?

Nothing, you shouldn't bother with it. Much like astronomy and gardening, it is totally useless and an utter waste of time.

baloo&bd

GSAK users since 2003

Edited by baloo&bd

If you want to use it use it, if you don't don't. Why should I have to convince you that you need it?

You don't have to convince me at all, in fact you don't even have to reply, especially if you can't add something constructive.

Thanks to all those who have added their views and experiences. It is all very interesting and has taught me a lot but I think I'll just carry on without it for now.

Instead of having others convince you, convince yourself, one way or the other. Download it use it for the 21 day trial period. Only you know how you cache, like to organize, etc. thus by using it for the 21 days you will find out if it helps you do the things you want to get done.

Hey Fuchs, don't pay attention to the bullies. They are emeritus geogods with snotty attitudes towards newbies who ask simple questions. Now I know that some will reply that they were just kidding but hey, if you're kidding, put a smiley face in or a wink or a nudge.

As for your original question, I started using GSAK about a month ago. Why? Because I have a WinMobile Dell Axim and I wanted to go paperless. I find GSAK to work fairly well for that. As for the other GSAK features of sorting, filtering, etc., I haven't figured them out because I really don't have a reason to at this point. Perhaps I will in the future.

Good luck caching.

Hey Fuchs, don't pay attention to the bullies. They are emeritus geogods with snotty attitudes towards newbies who ask simple questions. Now I know that some will reply that they were just kidding but hey, if you're kidding, put a smiley face in or a wink or a nudge.

As for your original question, I started using GSAK about a month ago. Why? Because I have a WinMobile Dell Axim and I wanted to go paperless. I find GSAK to work fairly well for that. As for the other GSAK features of sorting, filtering, etc., I haven't figured them out because I really don't have a reason to at this point. Perhaps I will in the future.

Good luck caching.

A statement like convince me why I need GSAK to me is arrogant and just a troll. No smiley here and no "gee, I was just kidding" here. Now if the question was more like "How do you use GSAK" I probably would have a different attitude.

Jim

Here are some more reasons to use it that I do not thing have been mentioned yet:

Corrected coordiantes. If you solve a puzzle cache, you can enter the correct coordiantes in GSAK and GSAK will load the corrected coordiantes on your GPS. This also helps for a multi that you don't get all the way done.

USER NOTES: If you get a hint on where the cache is from another cachers or if it is a series cache where you have to gather information for the final, you can store that information with the cache. GSAK will also place the user note as a log you load on your PDA or GPS like Colorado.

Accumulated logs: PQs only have 5 log entries. GSAK will accumulate the logs from various PQs. So you can have all the logs for the cache loaded on your PDA or GPS like the Colorado.

I actually went to a Geocaching event that was all about how to use Gsak and I found it pretty useful.

However, I gotta say that I do not use Gsak anywhere near like some other people do. I find that most people I know use Gsak for some of the same things that you can already do with GC.Com's PQ's. However, there have been a few things I've used it for which have been handy.

• It lets me upload the custom geocaching icons instead of the regular icons on my GPS
  • It lets me filter out DNF's, disabled caches, and some that are archived that get put into PQ's somehow
  • It lets me send data to Cachemate for paperless caching much easier than any other app

Beyond that, I use it purely for uploading my GPX files to my GPS and that's about it.

I've been using GPX Sonar, but can't get it to save the field notes. Just starting to learn Cachemate, and was looking at Gsak too. So far the ability to load multiple PQ searches into one data base (for a longer trip) seems to be a good deal.

Rally looking for some other useful tips for Gsak that I can't get from loading the PQ straight into Cachemate.

Edited by Macho Man & Petite Flower

I already replied with some of the ways I use it, but I would like to discuss one part of your opening post...(for any new people who may see this thread, more than for you, since you've already decided it's more help than you need at this point).

You said it caused your computer to bog down and mentioned the phrase "huge database" ... From that I presumed you were just continually loading more and more caches and logs into one large database, yes?

Did you know you don't have to use the program that way? There are other possibilities:

You can clear out the old database and create a fresh one each week.

You can set it up to delete the caches you have found, so the database gets smaller and smaller over time (other than the new caches that crop up in the area you are PQing)

You can make smaller, more specialized databases. (Keep all the puzzles in one, all the challenging ones in another, all the quickies in yet another, or all the west side of town in one file and the east side in another, etc. Then you can easily move things from one database to another as needed. (Really, it's a matter of highlight and tell it to move it to the other file).

You can filter for only micros, filter for only large containers, or filter out all the caches of one particular cacher.

You can delete whole databases and keep others.

You can use it to keep a file of the caches you have found, and send that file to one of the places that turns that info into the really cool graphics for your profile page or a blog or wherever else you like.

You already know you can use it to set up the file for your PDA and the one for your GPS in a matter of minutes. Literally, I can get the PQ run and have it in both the PDA and the gps and be out the door in five minutes.

You can use it to put the basic info and at least part of the hint directly on your gps...I have mine set to show me the GC ID, the container size, the type of cache, the name of the owner, the 'smart name' of the cache, and the results of the last four searches.

With all the macros out there you can get it to do sooooo many other things...which I can't explain because they are more than I need right now. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get it to fix the coffee and wake me up early so I can find a few more caches!

Good luck caching.

So insulting other cachers makes you better than "emeritus geogods?"

I've used GSAK since 04 and love it. I use it to load caches into National Geographic Topo, Mapsource TOPO/City Navigator, a Meridian Gold, an Etrex Vista, and my PDA. Thanks to a GSAK macro, all of my unfound caches have the specific icon that caches do on the geocaching maps.

I download 1800 caches in mere seconds.

Fuchs, sorry to come from left field, but I'm with you. From all the responses here and elsewhere, and GSAKs description page, seems that GSAK is largely redundant with what Mapsource, careful creation of PQs, and a little thought in how you save each group of waypoints can already accomplish. Apparently GSAK can manage logs, including DNFs, automate search criteria, and maybe a few other things that I don't know about. Probably works much better with non-Garmin products as well. :laughing: And Mapsource can push waypoints to any number of GPSes, along with the maps as well. It appears largely useful to many users, but it isn't needed.

I can identify one critical use that I use it for, life would suck much more without GSAK.

I have a Garmin 76CSx, Mapsource Topo 2008, CityNav 2008 and 2009.

Using MapSource, when I try to upload a geocache, I am only able to upload one at a time. MapSource didn't let me upload them in a "batch" as it were, it just kept replacing the previously selected one with the newly selected one, resulting in only 1 geocache being uploaded to my GPS (either dedicated mem or a removable card, didn't matter either way).

However, now with GSAK, I can load as many geocaches as I like into it, and it will upload them all (with all appropriate data) to my device in one shot.

I also like that it will use the google maps (topo included) when showing them on your PC.

I am definitely planning on paying for GSAK, well worth the price just for that feature alone. Lots of other cool sort of "overkill" stuff that, as I learn more about geocaching I'm sure will come in handy, especially with regard to managing all that data. Mapsource is woefully inadequate in that regard, at least in my experience.

Peace,

K

I can identify one critical use that I use it for, life would suck much more without GSAK.

I have a Garmin 76CSx, Mapsource Topo 2008, CityNav 2008 and 2009.

Using MapSource, when I try to upload a geocache, I am only able to upload one at a time. MapSource didn't let me upload them in a "batch" as it were, it just kept replacing the previously selected one with the newly selected one, resulting in only 1 geocache being uploaded to my GPS (either dedicated mem or a removable card, didn't matter either way).

However, now with GSAK, I can load as many geocaches as I like into it, and it will upload them all (with all appropriate data) to my device in one shot.

I also like that it will use the google maps (topo included) when showing them on your PC.

One waypoint at a time?? There must be some major differences between those MapSource Products, and MapSource U.S. Topo and Inland Lakes. Both of those can upload as many geocaches as desired...up to the maximum capacity of the GPSr. And in MapSource, click View->View in Google Earth...and up pops an aerrial photo of the map, etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to drag GSAK through the muck. The original question was the need for GSAK if one already has MapSource. Again, both are predominantly the same; with notable differences each way.

Take care,

Is GSAK required for geocaching? certainly not, so I can't say that you "need" to have it.

For me, I can't imagine going back to caching without it. If you just want to generate a quick PQ, load it, and go, then GSAK is definitely overkill for what you're doing.

Personally, I like the fact that I have 2300+ local caches sitting in my main database that I can filter, sort, read about, solve the puzzles, or load any of them depending on which area of town I might want to visit that day. I don't need to worry about creating a different pocket query because I'm going to an event 20 miles from home. I already have the nearby caches and can load them up.

I travel a bit on business and GSAK lets me download pocket queries of the city I'm going to be visiting and set several locations to see which caches will be nearby. Again, I don't need to tweak the PQ beforehand. I can pull very general caches and then refine my filtering in GSAK.

When I was working on a geocaching "quest" game, GSAK was very handy for searching out caches that had the words "fishing hole" or "ghost" somewhere in their description. I'm not aware of a pocket query that will do that.

I'm a big of a geek too, so the ability to run statistics on my finds, automate some of the processing with macros, and plot my caches in things like Google maps or Streets and Trips is a very good thing to me.