Demand for a custom England map for GSAK?

Astartus

Hello fellow geocachers from the "island".

Some of you might know the great tool "Geocaching Swiss Army Knife" (in short GSAK).

For some time, GSAK has offered the option, to create custom maps for countries, you have cached in and to color the actual region (or Bundesland, canton, state or how they are called in their native tongue).

As it seems there is no map for England yet. Therefore I wanted to ask, if there is a demand for such a map, and if there is a demand, what level of administrative counties.

Would the 9 regions be enough? Or should the map be devided further into the 41 counties?

I would be happy to hear from cachers from England, what their opinion is. If there is a concensus, I could work on a map definition file and the map pretty quickly.

To see what some of the other (uncolored) custom maps look like you can take a look here:

Germany

France

Switzerland

For a colored version, feel free to check my profile.

Greetings

Astartus

Ooooh, that would be really cool! I've seen the other country maps myself lots of times, and thought that would be great, but time and skills (mainly skills) prohibited me from doing them!

my vote would be for 'proper' counties, rather than for the geocaching regions - which are hopelessly inaccurate anyway!

I would also say that if you are prepared to do this - find yourself a usable list of counties that you are happy to do maps for, and just do it - if you try and get into a debate on here about which counties to include, you'll NEVER get anything done! By all means ask questions, just be prepared for conflicting answers! :)

I have my opinion on what would be a good set to use, but I'm keeping it to myself. To be honest, I'll be well happy with whatever gets produced, and if anyone else is disgruntled, the quick answer is to do it yourself! :laughing:

An excellent idea. There are some great developers 'out there' adding stuff to GSAK. Your work is appreciated!

As to which map. As Purple Pineapple says... you'll get loads of suggestions! My personal thoughts are go for the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - but the Irish may want to included) on the basis that if you don't want a part of the UK just leave it blank - or better still, go and do a cache there :laughing:

Chris (MrB)

Hello folks, thanks for your replies.

I should have checked the Groundspeak website first, as I now noticed that there are already region informations provided by Groundspeak (except they are missing Northern Ireland).

The county information would have to be added manually to every cache in GSAK (except someone has shapefiles for all the counties and can give them to the developers of GSAK to inlude the ifnormations - as there seems to be a similar macro for the US counties that can add these infos).

I have already made a map for Ireland and left Northern Ireland in another color.

As a suggestion and maybe a compomise I would start working on a map that includes the "big" administrative regions, that are already supported by Groundspeak.

If someone could provide shapefiles for the counties so one could add the counties to the GSAK database without having to edit every cache manually, I could start on working on a second map, that goes into a much smaller granularity.

Would that be ok? I understand, that many would like to see every little county they have cached in, but this would be pretty difficult to represent on a small map (at the current state, I'm not THAT used to map making).

So big map first, small map later?

So big map first, small map later

What I wanted to say: Map with big regions first, map with small counties later.

So first Something like this and afterwards something like this?

The problem with a map for the counties would be to fit in all the found numbers. But maybe the guys at GSAK have some ideas how to fix this.

Groundspeak counties first sounds good, but if you read the UK thread on the subject you'll find that it's UK counties that everyone really wants. It's a good place to start though.

*gulp* oh man, what have I ran myself into ....

Edited by Astartus

Counties by preference please.

I've made a polygon file, by tracing the boundary in Memory Map of Norfolk (1580 waypoints) that I use as a filter in GSAK, Thus I am able to filter all the caches that are in my County. I've another of Suffolk that will only take me a short time to finish.

Are they of any use?

Regards

Bernard

What's wrong with the UK and Ireland county map on INATN.com?

I think that's perfect for something like this, especially when there is so much crossover between the two geographic areas. Also you may find that a lot of the work has already been done for you.

Oh and as an advanced warning, the Northern Ireland can of worms you may be about to open is HUGE! :(

I think I already opened up a can of worms when I asked if I should make a map for just the regions or for counties.

I think I will make the regions map nonteheless, as this would be much much much (did I say much?) more easier. The county map needs me to delve into the depths of macro language, and how I could modify kooskoos macro to actually do the same for UK counties. And this won't be something that will be done in 1-2 weeks.

Sorry to put you guys off. I will try my best to stand up to your expectations. But please be patient.

@dino-irl: Never used INATN, only GSAK. Therefore I can't judge their maps.

First of all a big THANK YOU to Astartus for even starting this. Not only do Germans make fab cars and beer, now they are making maps of the UK for us lot! :D So thanks for that.

The topic says England - I think from the rest of the threads this has been sorted but we'd all like maps for the UK & Ireland I think is fair to say! :( The map that ItsNotAboutTheNumbers.com already is is rather good and has the counties that most of us are familiar with. Image below.

uk_countyfindsmap_export.jpg

Anything you can do its greatly appreciated, I did start looking at it... then stepped away from the void. Very scared! ;)

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I was pretty busy with my dad celebrating his 60th (and promoting our great hobby to possible new aspirants - haha more victi...ehhm geocachers)

I'm nearly finished with the "quick and dirty" region version of the map that can be then chosen from the "FindStatsGen" macro. When this is finished (sometimes this week), I'll start on cleaning up a big map of the UK counties, which kooskoos has provided me with. He kindly offered his help with the shapefiles and the macro.

@Edgamaster: Your second link is awesome.

Hey guys, a quick update:

I'm going to upload the first version of my "UK regions" map definition file for the use with the FindStatsGen macro tomorrow.

HERE you can have a sneek peek of the final look. (Don't mind the german words, I have a german GSAK language file)

Things to note:

1. It looks as if Groundspeak's Pocket Queries don't include the state information needed to color the appropriate region. Single GPX files DO include these informations. I can't say if this is an error or intentional.

2. The map is designed after the regions that are supported by Groundspeak to prevent you all from having to edit the state informations after each import of a new PQ. For a map of counties, stay tuned.

3. Groundspeak doesn't support Northern Ireland as a region of the UK, but do include it as part of the "Ulster" region in Ireland. if you have caches found in Northern Ireland, and would like to show them on this map, you would have to manually edit the country and state information.

4. As the regions don't have a flag or coat of arms image, there won't be such images shown in the summary below the map.

Edited by Astartus
I think that's a great effort Astartus - thanks very much. I'm sure you're ready with your thick skin though - there will be different opinions to mine - but thanks very much. And like you advise in your post - I'm staying "tuned" to point2! :rolleyes:

Thanks and all that!

I second Scott's comments, thank you. :) I will try it tomorrow and see what happens! Point 2 is probably what I would prefer.

1. It looks as if Groundspeak's Pocket Queries don't include the state information needed to color the appropriate region. Single GPX files DO include these informations. I can't say if this is an error or intentional.

Does anyone know if GS are aware of this - has it been posted on the website forum?

Map looks good though, but each time I import the My Finds PQ it overwrites any state information I've added myself. Also noted that caches for which the owner has set a state, 'None' is imported instead of 'Nil'. ;)

Oddly, I have a PQ set up which provides me with details of the finders of my own caches, and for these the state is displayed correctly in GSAK - must be some difference between a 'normal' PQ and the My Finds one ;)

Map looks good though, but each time I import the My Finds PQ it overwrites any state information I've added myself. Also noted that caches for which the owner has set a state, 'None' is imported instead of 'Nil'. ;)

I had the same trouble so checked out the macros for GSAK and found this one. You can back up and restore the state information. I've tried it today and it works well.

Regarding the missing infos in the PQ:

As a non-UK-cacher I can't say if Groundspeak intentionally left out the state informations in their PQ's or if this an unknown accident. That's why I posted it here to get som e feedback from you guys, who might work more often with these files.

But it seems as if this is an accident and therefore I might file a quick message to Groundspeak.

I may be wrong, and you guys know more about this than me anyway - but isn't the state present only on caches created or updated since the UK states were introduced, which wasn't all that long ago, as it has to be entered by the cache owner.

Ignore me if that's completely irrelevant. If the "Groundspeak:state" element is absent from the file then it doesn't really matter whether or not it's present on the cache!

I may be wrong, and you guys know more about this than me anyway - but isn't the state present only on caches created or updated since the UK states were introduced, which wasn't all that long ago, as it has to be entered by the cache owner.

Ignore me if that's completely irrelevant. If the "Groundspeak:state" element is absent from the file then it doesn't really matter whether or not it's present on the cache!

You are correct state detail will only appear if the cache owner has entered it. But when running PQ's it is not bringing the detail in on those where it is entered on screen. If you download an individual cache it brings in the detail but not the PQ's seems to be a GC issue.

You are correct state detail will only appear if the cache owner has entered it. But when running PQ's it is not bringing the detail in on those where it is entered on screen. If you download an individual cache it brings in the detail but not the PQ's seems to be a GC issue.

Running PQ's to update GSAK and the "States" seem to be coming through on PQ's now... (Although slowly!)

I've been working from Astartus' start to update my county mapping macro in GSAK to handle the UK counties.

It's close, but I wanted to get some feedback on how to include Northern Ireland (assuming you'd want it included in a UK map).

Here is the current UK map that I have which is built from the Ordnance Survey link:

With a few county areas shaded:

fewUKcounties.gif

And with the entire country filled:

UKfilled.gif

We've found what I think will be a usable map for Ireland, so the choices now are to include Northern Ireland as an inset to this UK map (cutting off the Republic of Ireland) or to show the 2 islands side-by-side and either only shade Northern Ireland counties or shade counties in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland when selecting a UK map.

The original basis for this macro was to map a single state at a time for the US, so the maps are built around a single entity.

In the macro settings, you can adjust your choice for each shade color and the background, so if you don't like my example palette, it's easily switched.

Just thought I'd gather some thoughts from the folks most likely to create UK county maps to get a sense for your preferences.

I like the map :ph34r: , would prefer it if it altered colour based on how many in each county you have found. Regards Ireland I am not getting involved in that one :rolleyes:

I like it too but agree that it would be icing on the cake if the shading changed with the number of finds per county.

Personally I don't see a problem with a "UK and Ireland" map with the counties of both included.

I like the map :ph34r: , would prefer it if it altered colour based on how many in each county you have found. Regards Ireland I am not getting involved in that one :rolleyes:

I like it too but agree that it would be icing on the cake if the shading changed with the number of finds per county.

Personally I don't see a problem with a "UK and Ireland" map with the counties of both included.

The shading is in the macro...the first map (with different colors) is based on number of caches in that county for my test PQ's. The macro lets you adjust what shades you'd like to use and the other output is the HTML to paste into your profile which includes the color-coded legend, the county names, and counts of your caches within those counties.