URLs with cache numbers no longer work. Help!

Seth!

The web site has changed again! In October of 2007, I posted this message:

Back in the good old days, cache page URLs looked like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8480

This link survived many versions of the web site but I discovered today that these links no longer work. I have created MANY web pages with HUNDREDS of links that use this format. Can the site be fixed so that these links still point to the cache page?

I see that links to these formats of URLs are not working again. Previously, several people suggested that I change my links. That would be fine if there were just one instance. But I (and many other geocachers) have this style of link on many, many pages throughout the web. Is there any chance that Groundspeak might build in a redirect again? It sure would help.

Thanks,

Seth!

The web site has changed again! In October of 2007, I posted this message:

Back in the good old days, cache page URLs looked like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8480

This link survived many versions of the web site but I discovered today that these links no longer work. I have created MANY web pages with HUNDREDS of links that use this format. Can the site be fixed so that these links still point to the cache page?

I see that links to these formats of URLs are not working again. Previously, several people suggested that I change my links. That would be fine if there were just one instance. But I (and many other geocachers) have this style of link on many, many pages throughout the web. Is there any chance that Groundspeak might build in a redirect again? It sure would help.

Thanks,

Seth!

Since it stopped working in october, you could have started then to change all your links to the slightly different format of:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8480

(did you see the small x added after the .asp ?)

Unfortunately, that fix would involve changing links on every single web page where the old ones are. It's not as simple as a global replace on a single page in my case. Wouldn't it be easier to have the old style pages resolve to the new ones? THAT would be global. Anyone from Groundspeak care to chime in along with the peanut gallery?

Edited by Seth!

Unfortunately, that fix would involve changing links on every single web page where the old ones are. It's not as simple as a global replace on a single page in my case. Wouldn't it be easier to have the old style pages resolve to the new ones? THAT would be global. Anyone from Groundspeak care to chime in along with the peanut gallery?

Not sure what reasons they have for moving away from the old style, but I don't really see a strong case for why they should maintain a compatibility used by other sites.

Also, I don't know which editor you use for maintaining your pages, but I make global search/replace edits on dozens of pages at a time in my editor on a regular basis.

While it's a nice gesture for the develops to give you a workaround, this has been changed for some time now and it's really up to you to adapt to their system if you want to use their links.

There are programs that can do mass changes across an entire site, based on whatever regex you want to use.

Thank you webscouter and Yossarian for posting something other than a smartass, useless reply. You two had the courtesy to include a useful link. Interesting that there has not been an "official" response.

I suppose there might be some magical program that can go in and edit links on all of my web pages but I'd have to see it to believe it. Despite all of the talk, nobody seems to be able to cite one.

I can't imagine that I am the only person in the world who has a bunch of pages with links that no longer work due to the recent change. After the last upgrade, Gspeak added some kind of magic redirect so that the old URLs would work. All I'm suggesting is that perhaps this could be done again. I'd like to think that the schema isn't really going to be changing every two years.

My pages ARE my responsibility. I'm simply asking for a favor. Please refrain from posting any more lame replies. Useful information only, please.

Thank you webscouter and Yossarian for posting something other than a smartass, useless reply. You two had the courtesy to include a useful link. Interesting that there has not been an "official" response.

I suppose there might be some magical program that can go in and edit links on all of my web pages but I'd have to see it to believe it. Despite all of the talk, nobody seems to be able to cite one.

I can't imagine that I am the only person in the world who has a bunch of pages with links that no longer work due to the recent change. After the last upgrade, Gspeak added some kind of magic redirect so that the old URLs would work. All I'm suggesting is that perhaps this could be done again. I'd like to think that the schema isn't really going to be changing every two years.

My pages ARE my responsibility. I'm simply asking for a favor. Please refrain from posting any more lame replies. Useful information only, please.

hmm, I didn't seem most of the posts as being lame replies.

At the risk of posting a commercial message, I like using Textpad for my editor and use it to open multiple web pages often and do global search/replace edits.

They also offer this product:

WildEdit

from their note:

Introduction | Features | Screenshots

If you ever need to make the same changes to many files at once, then WildEdit® will save you a lot of time. It is an interactive tool for power users to edit a set of text files in a folder hierarchy, filtered by wildcards. This makes it ideal for editing web pages and software source code, or reformatting log files and newsletters.

You simply specify the search text, optionally using a regular expression, the replacement text, and a wildcard filter, then let it run. This process can be repeated as often as is required, and up to the last 10 changes can be undone and redone.

You'll see that it's very much the same thing Prime Suspect said. There are numerous text editors that offer similar functionality.

My advice would be to edit all of your pages with the coord.info links to hopefully avoid any upcoming changes to the site structure.