Adoption of an archived cache

LEGO

I searched the forum, and didn't find anything. I asked a reviewer in an email, but have not gotten a response. The adoption page does not let you offer an archived cache for adoption.

I believe that this cache is worthy of adoption, because it is historically significant for this area. I posted a note this morning that the log needed replacing, and the owner immediately archived it. I found out later that he is not interested in geocaching anymore, and wanted to archive the cache a year ago, but it seems that he never got around to it. I told him that I would be willing to adopt it, now I just need the site operators to enable it.

I searched the forum, and didn't find anything. I asked a reviewer in an email, but have not gotten a response. The adoption page does not let you offer an archived cache for adoption.

I believe that this cache is worthy of adoption, because it is historically significant for this area. I posted a note this morning that the log needed replacing, and the owner immediately archived it. I found out later that he is not interested in geocaching anymore, and wanted to archive the cache a year ago, but it seems that he never got around to it. I told him that I would be willing to adopt it, now I just need the site operators to enable it.

Now that it is archived just do your own page and submit it for approval.

I asked a reviewer in an email, but have not gotten a response.

Your e-mail, sent at 2:26 p.m. today, was answered by your reviewer at 11:25 p.m., prior to my seeing this thread.

Please remember that reviewers are volunteers. It is not reasonable to expect an immediate response.

Regards from my hotel room in Maine, while traveling on vacation, yet ever your humble servant.

Now that it is archived just do your own page and submit it for approval.

I've done a tribute cache like that. It's nice because it gives everyone a chance to revisit a fun cache.

Forget it. The reviewers *might* consider unarchiving if requested by the owner with "corroborative detail intended to lend artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative". But not in response to someone else. Furthermore, gc.com no longer allows non-consensual adoptions, so if the owner is uninterested even to the point of not wanting to offer it for adoption, consider it hopeless.

When you say "historically significant", do you mean the site or the cache itself? A cache placed only three years ago doesn't qualify as historic to most cachers. If it's the site which is significant, just place a new cache (and CITO the old one).

Edward

Forget it. The reviewers *might* consider unarchiving if requested by the owner with "corroborative detail intended to lend artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative". But not in response to someone else. Furthermore, gc.com no longer allows non-consensual adoptions, so if the owner is uninterested even to the point of not wanting to offer it for adoption, consider it hopeless.

When you say "historically significant", do you mean the site or the cache itself? A cache placed only three years ago doesn't qualify as historic to most cachers. If it's the site which is significant, just place a new cache (and CITO the old one).

Edward

You are right on. I wrote several paragraphs to the appeals court as to why they should let me adopt this cache. They used very few words to say no.

It is the cache site that is significant, and I plan to place a new cache there, but there is no guarantee that the new cache will get approved (it probably will, but there is that risk).

Oh you should see his event caches. He archives them before you can even log a attended log.

Hmm considering I've never placed an event cache under my ID that's probably true.

I've help run more events than 99% of other geocachers, so if you have complaints blb9556 post them on the cache page, don't snipe around behind my back. Also the only events you've been to were not placed by me. Unlike Dublin Ohio Geocachers we have more than 1 member so the account for Central Ohio Geocachers is shared among several people in our group.

No one is thankful for the volunteers that put on events any more, they just expect them to magically pop up in their area. Since I'm such a bad geocacher I'm no longer going to give up a full week of my vacation to help run the Geobash or waste countless hours of my time helping with other events. I'll just be a event consumer like everyone else. Consider this the straw the broke the camel's back.

As for the cache in question:

If any of you bothered to look at the past logs on the cache it was offered up freely for adoption a long time ago. No one responded.

May 9, 2007 by Coaster (1132 found)

This cache will be archived sometime between May 18-19th. If you find it before then please remove the cache and do what you wish with the container and it's contents.

If you wish to adopt this cache e-mail me through my profile.

My life is really hectic lately and I don't have time to maintain my caches. I offered them all for adoption and no one took me up on the offer. I decided to leave them active until they needed maintenance at which point I'm archiving them. Once I get some free time I plan to go back and clean up and geo-litter.

Exactly what did I do wrong here?

UPDATE: I've now offered all my active caches in that area over to LEGO Cacher for adoption. I've also canceled my premium membership, so consider me finished with geocaching in general. Hats of to those of you who love light pole micros, this is no longer the sport I signed up for.

Edited by Coaster

...My life is really hectic lately and I don't have time to maintain my caches. I offered them all for adoption and no one took me up on the offer. I decided to leave them active until they needed maintenance at which point I'm archiving them. Once I get some free time I plan to go back and clean up and geo-litter.

Exactly what did I do wrong here?

Nothing. Caches are always maintaince as time and life allow. Even by the folks who think you should drop everthing and maintain them immediatly because nothing else is more important than caching.

Oh you should see his event caches. He archives them before you can even log a attended log.

Congrats on driving one of the pioneer geocachers in your area over the edge into giving up the activity altogether. Did you know that it's perfectly fine to log an event cache after it's archived? Events are *supposed* to be archived within four weeks of the event date.

Yes it's possible. You just can't do it directly.

The orginal owner unarchives the cache then completes the adoption process giving you both the cache and the orginal listing. To unarchive the cache the cache has to meet currenet listing requirments.

You cannot unarchive your own cache, and in this fact pattern the reviewers are under instructions not to assist by unarchiving the cache in order to facilitate an adoption.

To Coaster, I'd much rather see you archive your caches so they remain associated with your profile. Why let your hide statistics get nibbled away at?

Congrats on driving one of the pioneer geocachers in your area over the edge into giving up the activity altogether. Did you know that it's perfectly fine to log an event cache after it's archived? Events are *supposed* to be archived within four weeks of the event date.

The way I read it was that the event cache was archived the day of the event. That doesn't seem right...you should give people at least a few days after the event is over before archiving your event. Most people wait a few weeks.

Know what doesn't seem right? Coaster's account doesn't own any event caches. His shared group account, Central Ohio Geocachers, is notorious for forgetting to archive event caches on a timely basis. As the reviewer for that area, I often wind up doing the archival more than a month later.

So, link me to a hasty archive log written by Coaster on an event cache.

Nevermind. I just responded before I read the whole thread. Coaster and Keystone both have said everything that I did. I also apologize to Coaster. I directed him here after only reading the first few posts. I know he doesn't normally read the forums, so I thought he might want to answer the OP himself. I hadn't read far enough to see some of the other posts that were made. Otherwise I wouldn't have brought it to his attention, and caused him to exit Geocaching altogether.

It really is sad to see that. Coaster was one of the founding members of the Central Ohio Geocachers, and was instrumental in setting up some great events and some of the best caches around.

Edited by Mr. 0
Otherwise I wouldn't have brought it to his attention, and caused him to exit Geocaching altogether.

It really is sad to see that. Coaster was one of the founding members of the Central Ohio Geocachers, and was instrumental in setting up some great events and some of the best caches around.

I find it hard to believe that this relatively benign thread cause a long time, avid geocacher to quit the sport. Either he was basically through with it already and is just using this as an excuse, or he's playing the martyr game and looking for sympathy.

It's unconscionable that people are trying to pin his geocide on Blb9556 and Legocacher.

Edited by briansnat
Otherwise I wouldn't have brought it to his attention, and caused him to exit Geocaching altogether.

I find it hard to believe that this relatively benign thread cause a long time, avid geocacher to quit the sport. Either he was basically through with it already and is just using this as an excuse, or he's playing the martyr game and looking for sympathy.

It's unconscionable that people are trying to pin his geocide on Blb9556 and Legocacher.

I did not see anywhere in this thread that I was being blamed. Coaster posted in the Central Ohio Geocacher Forum that he was through with caching, long before I became an active cacher. I started this thread simply to find an answer to what I thought was an innocent question, and had no idea that it would become a war.

I don't blame LEGO Cacher for anything he's just trying to keep caches in the area alive.

Like I said the snippy comments about me accusing me of shorting someone on an event I didn't even place were the last straw, there were many before that.

1. I no longer have the desire to sift through 50 "geocaches" to find one that is someplace interesting and not at a wal-mart, target, home depot, etc.

2. No one will volunteer for anything, but they expect everything. It's always the same overworked people running events. Even when we get new volunteers about 80% of the time they drop the ball or don't show and make things worse.

3. I've been constantly bugged over the last few months about why there aren't more active forums on Geocache Ohio and Central Ohio Geocachers, or by people that want me to just hand over the domain names to them. They are not MY domains they belong to the organizations. I also cannot talk to myself on fourms all day.

4. No matter what I hear "Your event is too far away", "Why don't you move the event every time", etc. Anyone with an account can place a event, go do it. If you're in the central Ohio area and so wish we'll post it under the COG account. We're not picky, any event is cool with us.

5. I've ran into too many rude / lazy geocachers in the past year that have helped to tarnish my view of the sport. People treat volunteers as if they are highly paid employees of Groundspeak, when it usually ends up costing me quite a bit of money to go someplace to work. In fact the Geobash trip ended up costing $470 just for a hotel room, we couldn't camp because we didn't have time to setup and tear down last year, nor would we of had time this year. I spent the Sunday after the bash cleaning up the fairgrounds, CITO is a joke anymore, I had to pick up everything from event pin wrappers to dirty diapers that geocachers were too lazy to walk 30' to a trashcan to dispose of.

6. The only benefit that you get from placing a geocache is reading the logs. Writing anything in the log book went out the window a long time ago. In the past year I've only had a handful of logs that were not just "TFTC". That leaves me with very little in return for the work of placing caches. It's just another number to the finder so why not throw out a light pole micro.

7. Gas prices have also killed my desire to go cache. Blame whoever for that one. It's over 20 miles from home for me to get to any caches at all, not worth it at $4 a gallon.

The sport I got involved in years ago was full of friendly people that were thankful when a new geocache was placed. Events were greatly appreciated not expected. The community was friendly and helpful (still true in pockets). Geocaches were hidden to take someone to an interesting location. In fact most geocaches were hidden so they wouldn't be found by muggles, now everyone tries to hide them from other geocachers. There is room for some caches that are a challenging find, but picking through evergreen bushes in busy locations gets old fast.

I'm not attempting to be a martyr, I could care less for your sympathy. I'm just done. I only came back here to post because someone pointed me back to this thread because it seemed like LEGO Cacher was getting the blame.

*poof*

I did not see anywhere in this thread that I was being blamed. Coaster posted in the Central Ohio Geocacher Forum that he was through with caching, long before I became an active cacher. I started this thread simply to find an answer to what I thought was an innocent question, and had no idea that it would become a war.

Nah, you did nothing wrong. You asked a legitimate question and it was answered. Then other people went off on a tangent and started a light skirmish (this was not even close to a forum "war").

CITO is a joke anymore, I had to pick up everything from event pin wrappers to dirty diapers that geocachers were too lazy to walk 30' to a trashcan to dispose of.

6. The only benefit that you get from placing a geocache is reading the logs. Writing anything in the log book went out the window a long time ago. In the past year I've only had a handful of logs that were not just "TFTC". That leaves me with very little in return for the work of placing caches. It's just another number to the finder so why not throw out a light pole micro.

7. Gas prices have also killed my desire to go cache. Blame whoever for that one. It's over 20 miles from home for me to get to any caches at all, not worth it at $4 a gallon.

The sport I got involved in years ago was full of friendly people that were thankful when a new geocache was placed. Events were greatly appreciated not expected. The community was friendly and helpful (still true in pockets). Geocaches were hidden to take someone to an interesting location. In fact most geocaches were hidden so they wouldn't be found by muggles, now everyone tries to hide them from other geocachers. There is room for some caches that are a challenging find, but picking through evergreen bushes in busy locations gets old fast.

I'm not attempting to be a martyr, I could care less for your sympathy. I'm just done. I only came back here to post because someone pointed me back to this thread because it seemed like LEGO Cacher was getting the blame.

*poof*

Sounds like time for a break. :laughing:

I'm just a noob compared to you, but even as a newbie, I got to the *Exact* point you are now about a year ago, with the exact same feelings. It seemed like the best parts of geocaching were rapidly going away, and the worst parts were taking over.

It's not a job, it's a hobby. Take some time off, and when you start to miss the parts you really enjoy, you'll be back for those, and you'll learn to live with the bad parts, which I think are unfortunately going to be around from now on.

Nobody says you need to find all the geocaches, so if there are certain types you prefer, only find those and ignore the rest.

And if you like quality hides, hide the kind of caches you want to see, you might inspire someone. :P I'm dying for some canoe caches around here, so I've been hiding them all summer. Nobody around here wants to put much effort into finding caches, so every single one of them has gotten a FTF and then after that nobody else looks for them, and eventually, without fail, they are swept away by a flood, or muggled before a second attempt is ever even made, so it costs me a lot of time, effort, and money for a single find, but I'm not giving up yet. :P I've got a PILE of really cool floatie and underwater caches already made in my house, just waiting for their turn for one person to find them before they are stolen or lost. hehe.

Hide because you enjoy it, find because you enjoy it. If you stop enjoying it, take a break until it sounds fun again. :D

CITO is a joke anymore, I had to pick up everything from event pin wrappers to dirty diapers that geocachers were too lazy to walk 30' to a trashcan to dispose of.

*poof*

Sounds like time for a break. :)

I'm just a noob compared to you, but even as a newbie, I got to the *Exact* point you are now about a year ago, with the exact same feelings. It seemed like the best parts of geocaching were rapidly going away, and the worst parts were taking over.

It's not a job, it's a hobby. Take some time off, and when you start to miss the parts you really enjoy, you'll be back for those, and you'll learn to live with the bad parts, which I think are unfortunately going to be around from now on.

Nobody says you need to find all the geocaches, so if there are certain types you prefer, only find those and ignore the rest.

And if you like quality hides, hide the kind of caches you want to see, you might inspire someone. :) I'm dying for some canoe caches around here, so I've been hiding them all summer. Nobody around here wants to put much effort into finding caches, so every single one of them has gotten a FTF and then after that nobody else looks for them, and eventually, without fail, they are swept away by a flood, or muggled before a second attempt is ever even made, so it costs me a lot of time, effort, and money for a single find, but I'm not giving up yet. :) I've got a PILE of really cool floatie and underwater caches already made in my house, just waiting for their turn for one person to find them before they are stolen or lost. hehe.

Hide because you enjoy it, find because you enjoy it. If you stop enjoying it, take a break until it sounds fun again. :)

Hey now...that isn't completely true!!! :):rolleyes::)

I have all your canoe caches on my To-Do List...the problem I have is that I don't own a canoe!!! So, in order to go for your caches I have to find a canoe buddy...also have to work around my summer schedule...(from the moment I saw your caches come out...I knew from the start that it would not be until Fall sometime before I could have a chance to even try and get them...). I just have to hope they are still there and that I can get a canoe buddy. I know Silver Lake has rental...but that really doesn't help with the other canoe caches you have...and I would rather not go solo...just not that fun alone...

I have all your canoe caches on my To-Do List...the problem I have is that I don't own a canoe!!! So, in order to go for your caches I have to find a canoe buddy...also have to work around my summer schedule...(from the moment I saw your caches come out...I knew from the start that it would not be until Fall sometime before I could have a chance to even try and get them...). I just have to hope they are still there and that I can get a canoe buddy. I know Silver Lake has rental...but that really doesn't help with the other canoe caches you have...and I would rather not go solo...just not that fun alone...

Just make sure you're wearing the appropriate attire for caching in a canoe. :rolleyes:

38cd4198-39a1-49bd-9b7c-b46b329f97bd.jpg

Yes it's possible. You just can't do it directly.

The orginal owner unarchives the cache then completes the adoption process giving you both the cache and the orginal listing. To unarchive the cache the cache has to meet currenet listing requirments.

You cannot unarchive your own cache, and in this fact pattern the reviewers are under instructions not to assist by unarchiving the cache in order to facilitate an adoption....

I know you have to request they be unarchived and your reviewer checks it against current guidelines. What I didn't know was that there was a rule activly discouraging the unarchinvg so a cache can be adopted.

Coasters reply is exactly why we just do this as a family thing now.

......I have no interest in events. Why? I just have no desire.

......I could care less about the numbers. Why? Gas prices and this is just a hobby we do whenever.

......I don't like rude people. Why? I can't say that on a forum.

To many of the things posted by Coaster are true in life beyond Caching. In my other hobby I host large events and to say the pain and effort that goes into them besides the cost to your family and Money wise just makes it tougher to stomach the longer you do it.

Its a thankless task and just another reason why I see Bash events a little different.

Nobody around here wants to put much effort into finding caches

Hey now...that isn't completely true!!! :):rolleyes::)

hehe. as one of the very exclusive, less than handful of people who have found one of those caches, you are exempt. :)

But be careful what you say now archer, I'm in the process of planning a couple dive caches. No equipment required (except maybe some swim goggles) I'm expecting zero finds on them, but I think they'll be fun. :)

...at least for me. :)

Nobody around here wants to put much effort into finding caches

Hey now...that isn't completely true!!! ;);):wub:

hehe. as one of the very exclusive, less than handful of people who have found one of those caches, you are exempt. :D

But be careful what you say now archer, I'm in the process of planning a couple dive caches. No equipment required (except maybe some swim goggles) I'm expecting zero finds on them, but I think they'll be fun. ;)

...at least for me. :wub:

Swim caches...swim caches I don't have problem with...those I can do without finding at tag-along partner for the find!!! I would be swiming out to a couple of your other caches if I could...but, I respect the posted signs at a couple of those locations about "No Swiming Allowed"...I know, its only the law...but I will respect it...(Goose Poop Lake...AKA Silver Lake wouldn't even bother me for a swim...if it weren't for those signs they post around it :wub: )

If there is ever a chance when you and I could go caching, you would see I have no problem getting into water for a cache!!!

just curious, do you know, did he retrieve the container?

I doubt it. I posted a "needs maint." log entry because when I found it the night before it needed a new log book, and he (almost) immediately archived it. See his log entry here.

Not that I do it, but I see nothing wrong with someone archiving the event as soon as it's over, anyone can still log it easily... type in the GC Code, look at the owner's hides, etc...

Swim caches...swim caches I don't have problem with...those I can do without finding at tag-along partner for the find!!! I would be swiming out to a couple of your other caches if I could...but, I respect the posted signs at a couple of those locations about "No Swiming Allowed"...I know, its only the law...but I will respect it...(Goose Poop Lake...AKA Silver Lake wouldn't even bother me for a swim...if it weren't for those signs they post around it :wub: )

If there is ever a chance when you and I could go caching, you would see I have no problem getting into water for a cache!!!

Ya that's the problem, finding a good place where the water is acceptable for swimming around here.

The lake shady cache is accessible without a boat, since the water is only about 5 inches deep, but I wouldn't recommend it without hip waders cause of the mud. :o:cute:

And we should go caching sometime, though I doubt I could keep up with you. My biggest day is 7 caches. :anicute: