Mega Event 2 - Weston-super-Mare - 9th August 2009

I find it a bit off that someone in a 2 man tent gets no reduction... especially when you compare it to someone elses tent that sleeps 12....

At last years' mega we negotiated a reduced fee for single people in tiny tents.... can this not be done this year??

Please?? <begging voice>

I'll second this plea as someone with a tent and no car so therefore taking less space

How many people can we get in a shower cubilcle @ 50p for 8 mins, maybe a flash mob event could be arranged :D

Thanks HH, however, I cannot see the type of leaflet I am thinking of there :D

I was thinking along the lines of those that were available last year for people to print up and leave in caches or hand to other cachers to advertise the event.

Quickly bodged leaftlet!! 4 up on A4 - PDF Format

EXCELLENT! That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind, thanks!

Tis on it's was to the printer now, and will be cut up and given out at an event tomorrow. :)

This sounds fun, we could possibly come on the Saturday. We are signed up to skate in the Goodwood Roller Marathon on the 9th Aug. We just noticed the mega event is for the whole weekend so thats way better for us :D

Are there any caches on the goodwood circuit that we could get on our way around LOL

Edited by Water-Rats

This sounds fun, we could possibly come on the Saturday. We are signed up to skate in the Goodwood Roller Marathon on the 9th Aug. We just noticed the mega event is for the whole weekend so thats way better for us :D

Are there any caches on the goodwood circuit that we could get on our way around LOL

Although there are activities for the whole weekend be aware that the Mega Event cache is only a 1 day event, and it happens on the 9th August, so if you want to 'officially' attend, sign the log book, and get the icon you have to be there on the Sunday.

Just a quick one. :anibad:

Are the supporter coins going to be the only Mega2 geocoins available or will an attendee coin be released nearer the time of the event?

Debs

Yes, this coin is the only 'official Mega2' coin that we are planning on producing ..... and is only available to those who register as supporters

Do you have any artwork to see what the coin will look like?

Are you sending out any form of confirmation to people who've registered as supporters? I did so a week ago today (3 coin option) and got an instant confirmation from PayPal that you'd got the money but have heard nothing from the mega 2 team. I used the messaging facility on the mega 2 website to query this on Friday but have received no reply to that either.

Are you sending out any form of confirmation to people who've registered as supporters? I did so a week ago today (3 coin option) and got an instant confirmation from PayPal that you'd got the money but have heard nothing from the mega 2 team. I used the messaging facility on the mega 2 website to query this on Friday but have received no reply to that either.

There will be confirmations sent shortly and as I'd not received your message from Friday, I checked the system and spotted a slight problem that is now sorted - everything is working now.

I logged as an attendee can I change that to a supporter please?

Want to add the coins to my coins from last year's event :laughing:

All you need to do is register again as a supporter. Then just add a message in the 'note' box to say you have previously registered as a attendee - so that we can amend your registration on our records.

The more supporters the better :o Thanks

Does anyone know who I can contact if I wish to cancel my attendance. I've signed up as a supporter, but circumstance are against me and I can't attend

Hi

Sorry, that you can't attend.

All you need to do is email the UK Mega Event Committee via the profile on the Mega Event cache page (GC1GFT9) and either Icarus. or myself will be in contact with you. We can then cross reference the registrations and arrange for your money to be refunded - unless of course, that you would still like to be a supporter (without coming to the event) and have a Mega geocoin.

Wow - we are impressed with the 2nd class weekend postal service - they were only posted on Saturday morning.

For those that haven't received something from their postie today....

The 'Mega supporter' registration packs are currently being sent out - another batch will be posted tomorrow.

If you haven't registered as a 'supporter' yet (entitles you to a geocoin) you better hurry up ... as only 30 coins left now.

If you're attending the Mega Event you may be interested in entering our Camo Cache Competition.

Bring along your favourite camoflaged creation for display on the day, with a prize for the best camoflaged cache voted for by you the attendees.

Camo Your Cache

the pineapples will be bringing a small selection of our caches, and also some photos of existing caches to give folks some ideas! (we appreciate these won't be in the competition!)

great idea!

If you're attending the Mega Event you may be interested in entering our Camo Cache Competition.

Bring along your favourite camoflaged creation for display on the day, with a prize for the best camoflaged cache voted for by you the attendees.

Camo Your Cache

the pineapples will be bringing a small selection of our caches, and also some photos of existing caches to give folks some ideas! (we appreciate these won't be in the competition!)

great idea!

there is one problem here....no one will be able to see the winner

Camo Your Cache

great idea!

there is one problem here....no one will be able to see the winner

we'll only be entering the competition with physical caches we've brought with us - don't worry!

the photos are of caches we have placed (and can't remove very easiliy) , and merely to give people ideas as to what can be done with a little ingenuity! :ph34r:

on another matter - and this one more for the locals...

can anyone tell me whether there are any climbing caches in the MEGA vicinity (and also near Chippenham, where we will be staying beforehand). I'm tryign to decide whether its worth bringing the ropes, harnesses and other equipment... Shinning up a tree doesn't count!

I've looked and I don't think there are, but local confirmation would be helpful!

Cheers!

Dave

As all the Mega geocoins have all been sold, the Supporter Registration has been closed. Thank you to everyone that has supported us.

The last of the 'supporter registration packs' were posted out yesterday. If any 'Mega Supporter' has not received one by the end of next week please let us know.

Attendee registration remains open, so please visit www.mega2.org.uk to register. If you are able to make a small donation we would very grateful and you will be given the option to do so after completing the registration page.

--------------

We are also looking for volunteers to help out on the Sunday (Mega Day) - just for an hour or so.

The main area we will need help with is the registration desks and we are expecting this to be busiest first thing in the morning (registration opens at 10am).

If you can help then please email mapleleaf@mega2.org.uk

Question for anyone local to the Up Up and Away event please.

Would it be possible to attend the flash mob and then find somewhere a little way away to watch the night glow ... having re read the details I am wondering if it might be possible to attend the event without getting too close to the balloons ... just worried about spooking my sometimes easily spookable dog :anicute:

Would it be possible to attend the flash mob and then find somewhere a little way away to watch the night glow ... having re read the details I am wondering if it might be possible to attend the event without getting too close to the balloons ... just worried about spooking my sometimes easily spookable dog :anicute:

Hi Wendy,

I've never actually seen the display from Ashton Court itself, so I can't give you a complete answer. However, Ashton Court Estate is very big and it will definately be possible to move some distance away from the main arena if you want to avoid the crowds and balloons.

There is however a big fireworks display at the end of the night glow. Last year I watched it from the city centre and don't remember hearing any loud bangs etc, but I would have been over a mile away so the distance could explain that.

I've sent an email to the organisers to see if they can let me know exactly what takes place during the display and that way you may be able to make a more informed decision as to whether or not it's appropriate for Caesar. I'll send you an email and also put an update on the cache page once I hear back as I imagine there may be other dog owners wondering the same thing.

Would it be possible to attend the flash mob and then find somewhere a little way away to watch the night glow ... having re read the details I am wondering if it might be possible to attend the event without getting too close to the balloons ... just worried about spooking my sometimes easily spookable dog :P

I've been a couple of times. The balloons themselves are normally in a bit of a hollow so there should be space up the hill a little for you to watch from.

The two main issuesyou might have are:

1, People standing in front of you to watch. You'll just have to shout at them if they get in your way, or run over their foot! The best place for you would be up the hill which I believe is off to the right as you approach from the Hall - but its fairly obvious when you get there.

2, The fireworks. These mainly consist of the high mortar style and are therefore quite loud. When I first went we had a rather timid dog with us and had to keep him on a tight lead but he coped. Someone else wasn't so lucky and a black lab went bounding passed us shortly after the first firework.

For an example of what to expect firework and balloon-wise check out these two clips on YouTube:

Fireworks (mainly about 5mins in):

Balloon Glow (possibly from where i'm talking about:

Just a note to everyone to say "Enjoy yourself at Weston !"

As organiser of The UK's first Mega in Harrogate I have had the privalige of "advising" the Mega 2 committee and I looking at their forums I know what special people these are and what a huge amount of organising they have done.

I am sure everyone will have a great time.

Unfortunatley I am out of the country so I can not attend.... :D

Enjoy and dig a sandcastle for me !

Robin

Harrogate Hunters

For those still thinking of coming I thought i'd copy some information here.

Warren Farm camping is now full however I have organised alternative group camping about half a mile up the road. Below is the information required....

---------------- As posted to the Mega Camping event page ----------------

Diamond Farm only take bookings for pitches that require Electric Hookup. Therefore if you do not need power you do not need to book. They assure me that they always have enough space.

So if you want to join the Diamond group, email ME (bambography@googlemail.com) with details of your booking (Geocaching Name, Real Name, Dates, Number of people, cars etc) so I can formulate a list. This will be the list used to calculate the area required so make sure you do email me. This list will close on the 31st July so we can sort out space, so please book as soon as possible.

Diamond Farm is 0.7miles from both the other campers on Warren Farm and the main beach!

Diamond Farm

Book online at: (visit link)

Telephone: 01278 751 263

Prices:

£14 per night (inc 2 people & 1 vehicle)

£2 Extra person

£1 Extra car

£3 Electric Hook-up

No charge for Children under 5, Dogs or Awnings

Free on-site fishing.

Please note:

Electric Hookups are still available however we can't guarantee that you will be grouped with the other Geocachers on Diamond Farm.

This is a fairly loose arrangement and I cannot guarantee anything, however we will be doing our best. If you have any questions, drop me an email and i'll do my best to answer them.

Just a thought, and I'm sure the reply is "duh, obviously", but: have the police been informed?

I ask because at Harrogate, there was a military parade on the Sunday morning and the police might have wondered what all these people were doing, hanging around with "gadgets". I went up to an officer to explain and she called it in to HQ in case there were any calls of the "suspicious looking people" type. She then asked what GPSr she should get her brother who was about to go on a VSO trip. :huh:

sTeamTraen: Im sure they have been however I suggest you message them via the Mega Event commitee profile or the mega2.org.UK website, just to make sure.

REMINDER: If you you've still not beeked a campsite the list for those wanting to camp as a group on Diamond Farm will close Monday morning as I'll be phoning the site with numbers then. Email me ifyou wand space set aside for you: bambography@googlemail.com

Hello, sTeamTrean,

To answer your question yes the local police have been informed. Obviously I don't know if the message will get passed to every officer on duty at Weston that day, so the usual discretion is probably wise, but they have been made aware of the mega event and what geocaching entails.

There will be a number of Avon and Somerset employees who are cachers attending mega (including myself). If a misunderstanding were to happen, then I'm happy to help out if I can.

Edited by *mouse*