Mega Event 2 - Weston-super-Mare - 9th August 2009

We don't need the lecky.. We brings our own lol
Some people do have a distinct advantage with bringing their own lecky....
A car battery did ok for me on Scilly :)
Took you over the ferry weight limit though <_<
So the heavily tattooed man said. "That's furty kilo that is", he said. I challenged him to weigh it, but he passed on the offer. I still say I can't lift 30Kg with two fingers... :)

Anyway, on topic, as requested I've amended my Will Attend log to confirm I'm not a team of two people, one called Simply and the other one called Paul ;)

Come on folks .... please continue to log your 'will attend' on the Mega2 cache page remembering to include how many people will be coming.

We need to get to 500 people (not teams) before we are awarded our Mega icon - currently we have 275 on our spreadsheet, but we need more people to log now. So even if you are not 100% sure yet, but are hoping to, then please still log it now.

Go on ... it is going to be great fun. Just one look at our pictures will tell you that :ph34r:

There are several other events and activities being planned around it ..... more information on the Mega2 website when it is ready.

So why not plan your holiday in Somerset this year - lots of great places to visit and things to do.

Edited by Maple Leaf

Judging by my Email inbox you obviously listened to Maole Leaf and numbers are up to 333 as I write.

So come on lets get to that magic 500 soon - please...

Just for fun, I'll throw in a FREE GEOCOIN PRIZE to one cacher, selected at random from the 1st 500 to register.

Any chance of some further details on what is planned for the event. The icon is of little consequence compared to the event itself for us.

Hi

I've got the 2009 banner on one of my cache pages. I've just clicked on it and it takes you to the Mega website with links to questionnaires. All fine but it would it be a good idea to have a link to the event cache page somewhere prominent on that page and with a request to log an attend?.

(Wanted to go to the page and see if I'd logged a will attend cos I've forgotten if I have or not!)

Hi

I've got the 2009 banner on one of my cache pages. I've just clicked on it and it takes you to the Mega website with links to questionnaires. All fine but it would it be a good idea to have a link to the event cache page somewhere prominent on that page and with a request to log an attend?.

(Wanted to go to the page and see if I'd logged a will attend cos I've forgotten if I have or not!)

Thanks for that - Page now updated.

Judging by my Email inbox you obviously listened to Maole Leaf and numbers are up to 333 as I write.

So come on lets get to that magic 500 soon - please...

Just for fun, I'll throw in a FREE GEOCOIN PRIZE to one cacher, selected at random from the 1st 500 to register.

Any chance of some further details on what is planned for the event. The icon is of little consequence compared to the event itself for us.

Good point Tim. It's all a terrible balancing act - there's a lot in the pipeline that we can't talk about until its confirmed, but yes obviously people want to know what's planned. So as soon as I possibly can, I'll get the website live with details of what's planned and we'll add to that as we go along.

And as I'm sure you'll understand, that whilst the Mega Icon isn't important to you (sadly it is to me, which is why I wanted a Mega down South!) it is important to others and from our point of view, it is to potential sponsors and supporters.

I'll let everyone know what's going on just as soon as possible.

Steve/Birdie

Hi

Martlakes ..... you are NOT on the list of 'will attends' - so please log it.

Hi again

FYI: The banner on my cache page points at http://www.mega2.org.uk which still doesn't seem to have a link to the event cache page on.

By the way, the cache page seems to have an event date of 26th June at the top in the usual info.

Not hassling anyone, just thought you might like to know! :lol:

I've logged a our will attend now. :)

Not sure when you checked... but I updated the page yesterday...

The first line of text should read as:

The Mega Cache page is now live - please register your interest there. Cache Page

The date for an event (Except a Mega Event!) can't be set to more than six months ahead - hence the June date, although the Event is to be held on August 9th.

Not sure when you checked... but I updated the page yesterday...

The first line of text should read as:

The Mega Cache page is now live - please register your interest there. Cache Page

The date for an event (Except a Mega Event!) can't be set to more than six months ahead - hence the June date, although the Event is to be held on August 9th.

I had a look just now but I think it's a browser updating issue - it loads the new page in Safari but the old one is still showing in Firefox. :lol:

That would explain the date!

Cheers

I had a look just now but I think it's a browser updating issue - it loads the new page in Safari but the old one is still showing in Firefox. :lol:

That would explain the date!

Cheers

Firefox probably still has the original page in it's cache, if you go to the page and hit <ctrl>F5 it will force Firefox to reload the page from source rather than it's cache, which should sort it out.

Good point Tim. It's all a terrible balancing act - there's a lot in the pipeline that we can't talk about until its confirmed, but yes obviously people want to know what's planned. So as soon as I possibly can, I'll get the website live with details of what's planned and we'll add to that as we go along.

And as I'm sure you'll understand, that whilst the Mega Icon isn't important to you (sadly it is to me, which is why I wanted a Mega down South!) it is important to others and from our point of view, it is to potential sponsors and supporters.

Steve/Birdie

No worries. I can understand the urge to collect icons. I just can't quite work up the enthusiasm to do it myself. I'm more a waypoint on a map type of person :lol:

Are there any plans for stallholders yet? We're likely to be interested in selling our geocoins if the cost isn't to prohibitive.

Steve/Birdie

No worries. I can understand the urge to collect icons. I just can't quite work up the enthusiasm to do it myself. I'm more a waypoint on a map type of person :lol:

Are there any plans for stallholders yet? We're likely to be interested in selling our geocoins if the cost isn't to prohibitive.

Tim (and anyone else interested) - contact me through my profile and I'll send you some info - pronto. Feedback from the 1st Mega Event said participants really liked have a range of suppliers and we're very keen to have as many suppliers (with a Geocaching connection of some sort) as possible in attendance.

As an aside, anyone who maybe interested in selling a single type of coin, feel free to contact me and I'll see if we can find a way to set up a single selling point for coins.

No worries. I can understand the urge to collect icons. I just can't quite work up the enthusiasm to do it myself. I'm more a waypoint on a map type of person :)

It's not about the icon! It's about what generates from having 500+ geocachers in the same place at the same time and the results of a very hard working committee.

If Harrogate is anything to go by (and yes I appreciate each event is unique), there will be absolutely loads to do and lots of people to see etc. Also, for many people the opportunity to cache a new area, camp, overnight etc.

Top a certain extent, electing to go to the mega at this stage is nothing more than saying you intend to attend, a kind of vote of confidence in the organising committee.

If they don't get that vote of confidence from at least 500 people then it will be hard to establish mega event status quickly and all the good things that status will bring.

It is a kind of chicken and egg thing, the bigger the event, the more are likely to attend, the more companies involved and so on ...

Which is why even if yu are thinking of coming, you should make a will attend log ... the bogeyman ain't come come for you if on the day you don't turn up! Inevitably, life being as it is, some who say they will come will end up not being able to, and many who didn't hear about it til the last minute will turn up! :lol:

Worth a mention - thanks to Maple Leaf, we can now confirm we've reached the big 401 mark (Thanks Kiteflyers!) so come on.. just 99 to go....

That's really excellent news :D . I wonder if by the time we reach 500 Will Atttends this thread will have been renamed to the correct place and date? :D

Which is why even if yu are thinking of coming, you should make a will attend log ... the bogeyman ain't come come for you if on the day you don't turn up! Inevitably, life being as it is, some who say they will come will end up not being able to, and many who didn't hear about it til the last minute will turn up! :D

It just doesn't work like that for me. As an individual I only commit to things that I know I will be doing, I don't make empty promises. As someone who is considering paying for a stall or stand at the event I'm less than impressed to see folks encouraging others to artificially bolster the numbers in this way :D

That's really excellent news :D . I wonder if by the time we reach 500 Will Atttends this thread will have been renamed to the correct place and date? :D

I'm sure Deceangi will notice soon enough ;-)

Deceangi is no longer a forum mod. The dedicated mods are mtn-man and MissJenn. There are other roaming mods I think.

I'm sure Deceangi will notice soon enough ;-)

Deceangi is no longer a forum mod. The dedicated mods are mtn-man and MissJenn. There are other roaming mods I think.

I'll send a mail then...

and I think it's fair to say we don't want to plan an event for 500 people who won't attend.

It just doesn't work like that for me. As an individual I only commit to things that I know I will be doing

NO individual can know absolutely what they will be doing in August.

I don't make empty promises.

I don't believe the Will Attend logs are "empty promises": they are simply caching teams declaring their good intent at this point in time.

As someone who is considering paying for a stall or stand at the event I'm less than impressed to see folks encouraging others to artificially bolster the numbers in this way :D

What do you mean by "artificially"? This suggests to me that you believe that many of those who have added Will Attend logs have no intentions of being there :D I doubt that. I have a higher opinion of fellow cachers than you have, perhaps.

MrsB

Which is why even if yu are thinking of coming, you should make a will attend log ... the bogeyman ain't come come for you if on the day you don't turn up! Inevitably, life being as it is, some who say they will come will end up not being able to, and many who didn't hear about it til the last minute will turn up! :D

It just doesn't work like that for me. As an individual I only commit to things that I know I will be doing, I don't make empty promises. As someone who is considering paying for a stall or stand at the event I'm less than impressed to see folks encouraging others to artificially bolster the numbers in this way :D

your not making a promise by posting a will attend log your saying I think I will be there, you have the opportunity to alter the state of this log at anytime, 99.9% of the people logging will attend and have put a lot of thought into it,, if you bothered read the logs you would see this, obviously a few will drop out, I don't see anybody on the committee artificially bolstering the numbers .

I would doubt would not have expressed a prior interest putting a stall together if this event having the attaction of possible mega status, the status is what will bring more cachers together. The status will attract more cachers from overseas, they therefore need to get the status as soon as possible in order to give these people time to plan. The committee want and need the support of uk cachers to get this, the status is also a benchmark to the commitee to say "yes" it is worth the work and the financial large risk that they are personally taking.

Fact you can not have a mega event without the status

you can not have the status without the logs

if it was left to people they would be logging it a month or two before the event , this is no good for the purpose.

What do you mean by "artificially"? This suggests to me that you believe that many of those who have added Will Attend logs have no intentions of being there :D I doubt that. I have a higher opinion of fellow cachers than you have, perhaps.

I'm believe that everyone logging has good intentions. I guess that most cachers entering now wouldn't miss it for anything :D I was just a little surprised that some people are asking others to enter will attend logs now even if they're not sure ;(

Surely it's better all round if those who aren't sure wait until they have a firmer idea on what they are doing?

A point that I do not think has been noted that once they get the icon the mega event gets advertised to the world every month by the monthly update. Without the icon it will be July before it's advertised and then only to UK Geocachers, so the icon is extremely important in advertising to the rest of the world.

So it's not about personal preferences on whether YOU get a certain icon or not, it's about attracting as many people as possible, otherwise all of the hard work that the committee put in may seem pointless. :D

Surely it's better all round if those who aren't sure wait until they have a firmer idea on what they are doing?

Absolutely not, this is about gaining Mega status ... making a log to say you intend to attend, meaning that you are more likely to attend than not attend, you are not being asked to promise your first born for the cause :)

Read what Haggis Hunter has put so eloquently in the post immediately above ... this is the way Groundspeak require it to be done.

Like I have said previously it is about a vote of confidence in the organising committee ... I have the confidence that they WILL put on an excellent event, an event that I shall, more likely than not, be attending, so I have logged my intention to attend and booked my accommodation accordingly.

In many respects the fact that the UK can host a Mega has already been proven, what is at stake now is can the UK do it twice ... I firmly believe the answer to that to be YES.

Have confidence Tim, if eveyone held off like you suggest we would never have seen a Mega last year nor would we at any time in the future. :)

Come on chaps - lets not argue about it.

If you're currently, at this time, planning on coming to the event - then log a "Will attend". If for some reason your plans change - then that's life - it's not the end of the world.

Please don't book in a party of 98 - if you have no intention of turning up with a party of 98 or 97 at least!

From the committee point of view it's useful to know numbers so we know how many to cater for, for various activities and as Haggis Hunter as pointed out - once we have official "Mega" status then we will get more promotion and numbers will rise.

A point that I do not think has been noted that once they get the icon the mega event gets advertised to the world every month by the monthly update. Without the icon it will be July before it's advertised and then only to UK Geocachers, so the icon is extremely important in advertising to the rest of the world.

So it's not about personal preferences on whether YOU get a certain icon or not, it's about attracting as many people as possible, otherwise all of the hard work that the committee put in may seem pointless. :yikes:

Now that the event has gone Mega (well done chaps) it has now got international advertisement in the Groundspeak Weekly Notification. HOORAH!! :(:(

Well It sounds fine to me ;) in summer break :ph34r: I do need to look at a map and see where Bristol is though (please dont make fun of the foreign girl) :ph34r:

K

:ph34r:

From your co-ords, head south west, if your feet get wet -you've gone too far! :o

I should tell you I am the person who got lost going to the last to events :ph34r: while using sat nav :ph34r: I have no idea how I ended up geocaching with my really really really bad sense of direction :)

"Excuse me but I'm over here! :ph34r:

Any news on when the related events in the area will be published? :D

We're trying to decide how long to spend in the area...

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

At the moment we have events planned from Thursday 6th August to the following Tuesday - although these events are not published yet, there are details on the website here

Edited by *mouse*
We don't need the lecky.. We brings our own lol
Some people do have a distinct advantage with bringing their own lecky....
A car battery did ok for me on Scilly :)

Took you over the ferry weight limit though :D

Looks like we will have to do a renewable engergy lighting project for this years events then..

LittleY can be in cahrge of the nightime caching....

We will try to be illuminating lol

I emailed the camp site asking if there was any reduction for 1 person and a small tent but they have replied no. They didnt think it was very funny when I replied and said I would bring my 12 berth for my and my car!! dont want the car getting wet or to hot. :D

This deserves a reduction too.

little-guy-trailer.jpg

I find it a bit off that someone in a 2 man tent gets no reduction... especially when you compare it to someone elses tent that sleeps 12....

At last years' mega we negotiated a reduced fee for single people in tiny tents.... can this not be done this year??

Please?? <begging voice>