Mega Event 2 - Weston-super-Mare - 9th August 2009

After some discussion, we've agreed to plan the event over the weekend of the 7th - 9th August 2009.

At this stage we can't be any more detailed than to say the Mega Event itself will take place on the Saturday or Sunday, but other activities/events will be planned over the weekend.

Further details will posted here as they become available.

Edited: Event Cache Page Listing Posted! GC1GFT9

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...11-f6ddd56c7a40

Edited by mtn-man

Well It sounds fine to me :P in summer break :) I do need to look at a map and see where Bristol is though (please dont make fun of the foreign girl) :D

K

:D

From your co-ords, head south west, if your feet get wet -you've gone too far! ;)

I should tell you I am the person who got lost going to the last to events :D while using sat nav :P I have no idea how I ended up geocaching with my really really really bad sense of direction :D

After some discussion, we've agreed to plan the event over the weekend of the 7th - 9th August 2009.

At this stage we can't be any more detailed than to say the Mega Event itself will take place on the Saturday or Sunday, but other activities/events will be planned over the weekend.

Further details will posted here as they become available.

That sounds promising. We just need to check that a few long-term annual commitments don't drop back to that weekend in '09 and wealmost certainly in!

I should tell you I am the person who got lost going to the last to events :D while using sat nav :P I have no idea how I ended up geocaching with my really really really bad sense of direction ;)

Note to self: Check coords very carefully when Geo.Kitten publishes next cache :P:):D

Graculus

This sounds great, my wife was originally from Bristol and we still have relatives there. It's 250 miles away but free accommodation.

Note

The Bristol International Balloon Festival takes place in Bristol during August. As yet they have not agreed a firm date, just stating it will be between 1st and 31st August 2009. It would add another great attraction, but the roads get very congested around the festival area. You might need to consider the Mega Event location if the dates coincide. They get about 500,000 visitors each year, and on some years it has taken me 3 hours to complete a normal 30 minute local journey.

http://www.worldeventsguide.com/event/571/...n-Festival.html

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

Note

The Bristol International Balloon Festival takes place in Bristol during August. As yet they have not agreed a firm date, just stating it will be between 1st and 31st August 2009. It would add another great attraction, but the roads get very congested around the festival area. You might need to consider the Mega Event location if the dates coincide. They get about 500,000 visitors each year, and on some years it has taken me 3 hours to complete a normal 30 minute journey.

Thanks Tarot ..... Yes we are aware of the festival and are currently trying to find out if there is a firm date. We think it would be an added bonus/attraction (usually runs Thurs to Sun) .... but will everyone get up in time to see the 6am balloon launches? (at least at that time the roads aren't too congested).

Excellant hope it won't clash with the 2nd Wye valley event!! Over to you Sidandbob/Flying boots!!

If the Flying Sid&Bobs could be pursuaded to arrange another Wye Valley event for the weekend following, we could go from one to the other just like this year! Excellent! :laughing:B):D

... besides I'll need a break after 12 months ME planning........ :)

Excellant hope it won't clash with the 2nd Wye valley event!! Over to you Sidandbob/Flying boots!!

If the Flying Sid&Bobs could be pursuaded to arrange another Wye Valley event for the weekend following, we could go from one to the other just like this year! Excellent! :):DB)

... besides I'll need a break after 12 months ME planning........ :laughing:

Now that is a really good idea! :D

If the Flying Sid&Bobs could be pursuaded to arrange another Wye Valley event for the weekend following, we could go from one to the other just like this year! Excellent! :):DB)

Will have to consult with SidandBob on this one but I'm up for it depending on how much is involved in helping at the Mega as I've offered our help for that.

Will have to consult with SidandBob on this one but I'm up for it depending on how much is involved in helping at the Mega as I've offered our help for that.

We'd need to rope in someone to arrange the weather better than this year though. Is there anyone out there with the right connections? :D

If the Flying Sid&Bobs could be pursuaded to arrange another Wye Valley event for the weekend following, we could go from one to the other just like this year! Excellent! :)B)B)

We'd need to rope in someone to arrange the weather better than this year though. Is there anyone out there with the right connections? B)

I think Robin and the mega team used up this years quota of sunshine for mega weekend B) We will need to ask them who their contacts were!!! :D:D

We'd need to rope in someone to arrange the weather better than this year though. Is there anyone out there with the right connections? :laughing:

Are you joking? Were you at the same event as me?

I was away for 11 days over the Mega Event and in that time only had one day of rain... sure there was a shower on a couple of the other mornings, but by 11am brilliant sunshine where LOTS of us got very sunburned!!!

I am still peeling nicely!

We'd need to rope in someone to arrange the weather better than this year though. Is there anyone out there with the right connections? :laughing:

I was away for 11 days over the Mega Event and in that time only had one day of rain... sure there was a shower on a couple of the other mornings, but by 11am brilliant sunshine where LOTS of us got very sunburned!!!

I'm sure SidandBob were referring to The "Wye Valley and Forest of Dean" event here as we had torrential rain the whole day. :)

Can we have a week of events like last time?

That was fab.. I met so many people during that week, and loved it!

I assume there will be camping, so I'll book the week offf work now!

There will be a full programme of events, and the intention is that they will appear with plenty of notice :laughing:

.... but will everyone get up in time to see the 6am balloon launches?

If you make it an event, Yes!

They get about 500,000 visitors

Can we get them to sign our log book?

Wats the next one up from a Mega! :laughing:

Mega = x10^6

Giga = x10^9

So I guess GigaEvent

I should tell you I am the person who got lost going to the last to events :D while using sat nav :D I have no idea how I ended up geocaching with my really really really bad sense of direction B)

Note to self: Check coords very carefully when Geo.Kitten publishes next cache B):laughing::)

Graculus

:D no making fun of the foreign girl i said! B)

At least my garmin knows where I'm going B)

Now things are moving, I think it would be a good idea if there was a locked thread for announcements.

That way Birdie could mail Duckie (see what I did there) the official news and the thread would only rise to the top when there is news about the event.

Having it limited to only official news would mean information would be easier to find.

:D Yipppeee that date shouldn't clash with the Cambridge Folk festival so Team RoKeT wont have a family fight over who gets to use the motorhome, so hopefully we will get to stay!

Count us in, we loved Harrogate even if we only got to stay for the day. We lost the fight this year! :(

Good luck to those who are going to organise it. ;)

Team RoKeT

Will consider....need to look at costs etc....bit far for my brother to tow the caravan and come home again :(....btw...as a newbie what does a ME entail?

To be a Mega Event at least 500 geocachers must attend. Rather than me explain what it's like, have a look at the cache page for the one we've just had in Harrogate: The UK's First Mega Event. At the bottom of that cache page description there's a link to the official website that was set up for the Mega Event and that will give you even more information about what went on that day.

As you're fairly new to geocaching I'd heartily recommend that you look out for the smaller Events near you and try to attend one or two before next year. This will give you a feel for events generally and you'll get to meet local cachers, before facing up to maybe 900 en masse at a Mega! ;):D

MrsB

We'd need to rope in someone to arrange the weather better than this year though. Is there anyone out there with the right connections? :(

But when it did rain it were proper Yorkshire rain [;)].

regarding the weather you might want to speak to Wrighty. Based around the Cotswolds it never rains when he is out and about :(

Ahh, a fair weather cacher then [;)]

On the contrary,got caught in some hefty downpours this week whilst doing maintainence on The Philosopher Stone series,believe Schnarff was refering to the walks i have led at the Cachewalker events.

Bristol very handy for me so should be there.