Fake logging

okvalle

A cacher that had just visited the area was logging some finds, two of them where not publishet at the time of logging. I asked him if he had done something wrong. He answered that hi made a mistake on those logs.

I was doing some light maintenance one one of my caches, that he had logged, but there where no signature in the logbook. Now I'll check some more of the caches in the area, to se if he didn't sign those either.

What can I do?

Is this normal?

Ole

A cacher that had just visited the area was logging some finds, two of them where not publishet at the time of logging. I asked him if he had done something wrong. He answered that hi made a mistake on those logs.

I was doing some light maintenance one one of my caches, that he had logged, but there where no signature in the logbook. Now I'll check some more of the caches in the area, to se if he didn't sign those either.

What can I do?

Is this normal?

Ole

What can you do? not much, other than delete the logs from your cache. But of course the cacher can relog. No, it is not normal. I'm aware of one cacher in my area that has done that. When a milestone is achieved and folks heap praise on the cacher I just remain silent. The act of logging on line and not in the cache logbook has seriously undermined my opinion of this person.

Jim

What can I do?

Is this normal?

Ole

From what I understand about this situation from reading previous posts, there is nothing to be gained by this individual for logging bogus finds!

All of the prestige from all those smilies is just so much PSSSSFT! Nothing. Nada. :P

Also, the percentage of cachers that do this is so small, as to be almost negligble.

And another point was made that maybe this is just the way this particular cacher is....."playing the game". ;)

You can erase his log if you want or just forget about it and enjoy life! There are cachers that will support both of these options. :P

As for being normal, you will get a lot of feedback on what is "normal"! Some serial killers profess to be normal! LOL!

But seriously, and I use that word loosely.....very loosely.....just follow your heart! :)

I'm odd about this.

If the cache is below a 3, I could care less.

Now, if they came around and claimed one of my 3.5-5 star caches, and I checked it and nothing, I would dump their log quickly and put them on my list.

We have had situations in our area that the containers are tough to open and the cache owner states on their page "if you can't open the container, don't! but you may claim the cache".

So their are instances that allow this.

The cacher have only 22 finds, so I "explained" how to log a cache for him, without directly say that he is cheeting.

I do not plan in doing more with that. It's all caches below 3, wapahani, and I agree with you.

ps. I have only 45 finds, but I knew from the first that I had to sign the logs.

Ole

Edited by okvalle

This world is full of all sorts of people, that we can agree! Now, we can join the Geocahe KGB and worry about every Geocacher out there, or........ we can just enjoy the sport and let them deal with their own heart ;)

You might disagree with your own assessment when you waste $4.00 per gallon gas hunting a cache that is missing, but was "fake logged" by a cheater. This happens more than you might realize. A remote cache gets a few DNFs, then a faker logs a find. Another cachers sees this new found it log and assumes the cache is actually there.

Fake logging sets a bad precedent. I have no issues, about deleting fake logs, and multiple found it logs on my caches. I always contact the person first, before deleting their logs.

This world is full of all sorts of people, that we can agree! Now, we can join the Geocahe KGB and worry about every Geocacher out there, or........ we can just enjoy the sport and let them deal with their own heart ;)

You might disagree with your own assessment when you waste $4.00 per gallon gas hunting a cache that is missing, but was "fake logged" by a cheater. This happens more than you might realize. A remote cache gets a few DNFs, then a faker logs a find. Another cachers sees this new found it log and assumes the cache is actually there.

Fake logging sets a bad precedent. I have no issues, about deleting fake logs, and multiple found it logs on my caches. I always contact the person first, before deleting their logs.

Just because a cache has valid finds and valid sigs in the paper log doesn't mean it will be there when you arrive on scene. I have seen caches getting DNF's and then being found, and I did find them after the first find after the DNF's. It is really hard to say when the cache went MIA. And if the cache is MIA when you arrive on scene you have no way of knowing the previous finders actually found it. Its a pays your money and takes your chances type game.

Jim

Just because a cache has valid finds and valid sigs in the paper log doesn't mean it will be there when you arrive on scene. I have seen caches getting DNF's and then being found, and I did find them after the first find after the DNF's. It is really hard to say when the cache went MIA. And if the cache is MIA when you arrive on scene you have no way of knowing the previous finders actually found it. Its a pays your money and takes your chances type game.

Jim

I realize this, and don't disagree with your premise. Actively lying (by fake logging a cache that is in fact missing) is far more egregrious than a cache disappearing after being found the day before.

Delete the log with notification to the cacher in question although if they are playing this way they probably don't need notification....

Why isn't this like virtually logging coins and forbidden especially since there is no siggy in the log book...Yes I know there are SPECIAL circumstances but.....shouldn't there be some sort of reprimand....

Why are there two active threads on the same topic?

Why would you be concerned? Just lookin' yet another thread to troll?

That's an ugly accusation. Have I posted something that offended you?

Seemed a bit snippy to me. I don't understand why anyone would fake a log. That's wierd.

This world is full of all sorts of people, that we can agree! Now, we can join the Geocahe KGB and worry about every Geocacher out there, or........ we can just enjoy the sport and let them deal with their own heart :)

Gee do you think there is some room in between "enjoy the sport" and "KGB" I am amazed at how people that claim to want everyone to just live and let live, will label others "Geocache KGB". Yea just ignore all those harmless fake loggers, the Geocache KGB are the ones that need to change their ways. :laughing:

This world is full of all sorts of people, that we can agree! Now, we can join the Geocahe KGB and worry about every Geocacher out there, or........ we can just enjoy the sport and let them deal with their own heart :D

Gee do you think there is some room in between "enjoy the sport" and "KGB" I am amazed at how people that claim to want everyone to just live and let live, will label others "Geocache KGB". Yea just ignore all those harmless fake loggers, the Geocache KGB are the ones that need to change their ways. :laughing:

Exactly. If we follow the guidelines are we considered to be the Geocaching KGB? :)

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Edited by TrailGators

What can I do?

Is this normal?

Ole

No, this is not 'normal'.

It sound as if the finder in question has admitted they logged some caches in error, for whatever reason.

You, as the cache owner, can delete their logs, but you might want to consider giving them the opportunity to 'save face' and delete the log(s) themselves.

No sign the log, no find.

It isn't exactly as if a fake log on a cache in the Faroe Islands is going to make a difference on the map of countries you've found caches in :laughing:

02bb29da-9637-4ec1-83d2-769d5140dd6e.jpg

Perhaps not, but you better believe I would be a dam-site more proud of a find in the Faroe Islands than I would be of one in Sherman freakin' Oaks, CA!

Really tozainamboku, that was WAY below the belt, and unfitting of your usual standards.

Really tozainamboku, that was WAY below the belt, and unfitting of your usual standards.

I should've anticipated that someone would take my post as belittling the Faroe Islands. The point I was making was not meant as "who cares if there is a fake log on a cache in the Faroe Islands". Rather I was trying to make the point of the silliness of of someone logging fakes logs. I guess I just assumed that the logs were from someone visiting the area on vacation or business (or maybe sitting at home in another country) who thought he'd work on filling in countries on his map. If you're going to post fake logs you'd do better picking a bigger area. I also assumed that most of the cachers in the Faroe Islands know one another. It's not that big of a place. If a local were entering fake logs word would soon spread. I apologize to Ole if he took my comment as belittling his country.

I was out this weekend with a friend, she has over 500 finds, as we went along, there were like 8 of us total, we were caching and signing logs, and having a good time. i know for a fact in the fun and conversation, she did not sign 3 or 4 of the logs. So, is it that big of a deal? She probably will not even log most of what we did this weekend, for her it is the hunt of the challenging hides, not the easy ones she relishes. So for the 100 or so 1-2-level hides on 1-2 terrain she didn't log, is that so bad too? If people have to make themselves feel good by lying, who really cares. I know that on our marathon run this past weekend, 50 in 18 hrs, on 3 logs I thought my wife signed, she thought I signed. I really am not going to go back 100 miles to resign the log for an honest error. Just my thoughts.... errors happen.

I was out this weekend with a friend, she has over 500 finds, as we went along, there were like 8 of us total, we were caching and signing logs, and having a good time. i know for a fact in the fun and conversation, she did not sign 3 or 4 of the logs. So, is it that big of a deal? She probably will not even log most of what we did this weekend, for her it is the hunt of the challenging hides, not the easy ones she relishes. So for the 100 or so 1-2-level hides on 1-2 terrain she didn't log, is that so bad too? If people have to make themselves feel good by lying, who really cares. I know that on our marathon run this past weekend, 50 in 18 hrs, on 3 logs I thought my wife signed, she thought I signed. I really am not going to go back 100 miles to resign the log for an honest error. Just my thoughts.... errors happen.

Well as you might have noticed, the topic is about "Fake Logging". I imagine if a cache owner did an audit and noticed that you had not signed the logs, you would not mind if your finds were deleted. You could describe the cache and location to the owner and maybe they would allow your logs to stand. I have not seen anyone here say that an accidental error is the same as fake logging. No one will drive 10 miles to log a cache that is not there because you "forgot" to sign the cache. Now if you want to discuss the suggestion that cache owners should never allow an online find without every i dotted and t crossed... I have not seen anyone support that idea.

I should've anticipated that someone would take my post as belittling the Faroe Islands. The point I was making was not meant as "who cares if there is a fake log on a cache in the Faroe Islands". Rather I was trying to make the point of the silliness of of someone logging fakes logs. I guess I just assumed that the logs were from someone visiting the area on vacation or business (or maybe sitting at home in another country) who thought he'd work on filling in countries on his map. If you're going to post fake logs you'd do better picking a bigger area. I also assumed that most of the cachers in the Faroe Islands know one another. It's not that big of a place. If a local were entering fake logs word would soon spread. I apologize to Ole if he took my comment as belittling his country.

And I apologize for not realizing (from the beginning) that you were probably joking about the practice, and not the chosen location. I came to my senses sometime after hitting the 'submit' button. oooops :D

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE! :(

Weren't you supposed to post some insulting comment about Arizona, so the thread could descend into a meaningless off-topic slug-fest just between us? ;)

I feel really bad that I don't know where the Faroe Islands are. :wub:

- Elle

I feel really bad that I don't know where the Faroe Islands are. :wub:

- Elle

The Faroe Islands are somewhere near Iceland, but the important thing is that they have no native forests and very little woody type vegetation... a fake log would look very much out of place there.

Edited by Moose Mob