This site is so slow

Earleheart°

I have over the past couple of weeks. I originally thought it was my browser or router. Other sites are popping up just as quick as you please without issues and I've done the usual troubleshoots on my local system to know it isn't me. I don't think the Google ads should be slowing it down, but I don't know how its tied in either.

The forums has been timing out a lot and the next time I get an error message I'll post it here.

It is running slow......but intermittently. The problem I see is a lot of double posts (most of my time is in the UK Forum). It's happend to me twice today. You post a reply and after a few minutes get an error page or nothing at all appears to happen. When you refresh the page there are two identical posts. It is becoming a tad annoying ;)

Chris (MrB))

I've also noticed the double-post error on the forum becoming more frequent, but have had no qualms with the site itself. Then again, I use Firefox with Adblock Plus, so I don't see them anyway. The only thing is that the Google Map screen with the caches on it is taking longer to render (by a few seconds) than it used to, but it's well within the limits of tolerability.

It is running slow......but intermittently. The problem I see is a lot of double posts (most of my time is in the UK Forum). It's happend to me twice today. You post a reply and after a few minutes get an error page or nothing at all appears to happen. When you refresh the page there are two identical posts. It is becoming a tad annoying :laughing:

Chris (MrB))

Don't refresh the page (that sends the post again).

Copy your post (just in case you need to send it again), and then use the Back button to go back to the forum. Then hit refresh. Usually you will see that your post is there.

Copy your post (just in case you need to send it again), and then use the Back button to go back to the forum. Then hit refresh. Usually you will see that your post is there.

It's much easier to just blame the forum software/hardware than to figure out how to avoid the problem. I have ZERO double posts, and I use the same basic procedure you just described. Obvously you can avoid double posts if it's important to you. It would be nice if it was always lightning quick/responsive for the slow learners though.

Actually, this has been a recurring theme since at least 2005 when I joined, long before Google Ads.

I'm not sure when the new version of the site is slated to come out, but it's supposed to be much more scalable.

Nope. This is different. I keep getting timed out regardless of the time of day. I noticed the issue seems to have improved over the past couple of days. I don't refresh the page. What I have discovered is if I kill the session and start a new one, I'll have a faster response for the next few pages, then it hoses up on me again. It's very random and it could well be a google add is causing the problem. Perhaps the pages can be made to load before the google adds.

Actually, this has been a recurring theme since at least 2005 when I joined, long before Google Ads.

I'm not sure when the new version of the site is slated to come out, but it's supposed to be much more scalable.

Nope. This is different. I keep getting timed out regardless of the time of day. I noticed the issue seems to have improved over the past couple of days. I don't refresh the page. What I have discovered is if I kill the session and start a new one, I'll have a faster response for the next few pages, then it hoses up on me again. It's very random and it could well be a google add is causing the problem. Perhaps the pages can be made to load before the google adds.

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

This message is consistant when I do get it. Otherwise I mainly get a generic time out error.

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

This message is consistant when I do get it. Otherwise I mainly get a generic time out error.

Me too. I get the PHP fatal quite frequently. Today I waited five minutes for a post to, well, post. It never timed out on me but I finally gave up. I'm so tired of the time outs and hangs that I'm about ready to stomp my foot.

I didn't say it absolutely wasn't Google ads. I'm just saying that the forums have periodically dragged and hiccuped ever since I joined back in 2005. The same goes for the main site.

I get those same time out messages as well. The thing is, it's been going on for so long now that I just ignore it and try to be careful when posting to wait it out and see if my post goes on through. I make sure to copy my post prior to hitting the post button when the forums are glitching.

It's just the way things are around here. They've been promising to fix it since I joined and it never really seems to get any better.

I'm hoping that the new version of the website does what has been promised, but I don't really have a lot of faith that it will. We'll see when it's finally implemented.

As for Google ads, I'm pretty sure they are sent whether I see them or not, but I don't see any ads unless I log in on my cellphone or IE. But I've been experiencing the sluggish forums too. But it's kind of par for the course around here was my point.

I didn't say it absolutely wasn't Google ads. I'm just saying that the forums have periodically dragged and hiccuped ever since I joined back in 2005. The same goes for the main site.

I get those same time out messages as well. The thing is, it's been going on for so long now that I just ignore it and try to be careful when posting to wait it out and see if my post goes on through. I make sure to copy my post prior to hitting the post button when the forums are glitching.

It's just the way things are around here. They've been promising to fix it since I joined and it never really seems to get any better.

I'm hoping that the new version of the website does what has been promised, but I don't really have a lot of faith that it will. We'll see when it's finally implemented.

As for Google ads, I'm pretty sure they are sent whether I see them or not, but I don't see any ads unless I log in on my cellphone or IE. But I've been experiencing the sluggish forums too. But it's kind of par for the course around here was my point.

I'm not saying it is or isn't the ads. As I promised, I provided the message because it provides line numbers to the code involved. My comments were for informational purposes. These slow downs are not consistent with forum saturation times. I'm well aware of those.

As for promises to speed things up, I'm on these forums enough to say with a high level of observational experience it got much better before this recent spat of slow downs and I refuse to get involved with a bash on those promises when they have been improving things time and time again.

I'm also not being impatient. A page hanging for five minutes when a different session at the very same time can snap to is not consistent with forum saturation. Unfortunately, these slowdowns started happening around the time of release 7/23 and became significanlty worse since release 8/19.

I've posted quite a bit in the last 25 minutes and I'm now convinced that Google ads is the problem. If you know how to edit your hosts file, then you can try it and see if you notice an improvement. If you would like to edit the hosts file but don't know how, pm me and I will tell you. I don't think it would be appropriate to post the instructions in this thread.

I've posted quite a bit in the last 25 minutes and I'm now convinced that Google ads is the problem. If you know how to edit your hosts file, then you can try it and see if you notice an improvement. If you would like to edit the hosts file but don't know how, pm me and I will tell you. I don't think it would be appropriate to post the instructions in this thread.

Nice piece of work there. Thanks!

I am happy to report the site is no longer slow for me. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have edited something or anything or possibly nothing resembling what may or may not be my hosts file, if such a thing even exists.

I have also experienced the slowdowns and time outs. I may or may not be interested in receiving information pertaining to editing a host file that may or may not exist on any PC that I may or may not use to access certain websites.

I must admit that I have not experienced any slowdowns or timeouts this evening.

I am happy to report the site is no longer slow for me. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have edited something or anything or possibly nothing resembling what may or may not be my hosts file, if such a thing even exists.

I have also experienced the slowdowns and time outs. I may or may not be interested in receiving information pertaining to editing a host file that may or may not exist on any PC that I may or may not use to access certain websites.

I must admit that I have not experienced any slowdowns or timeouts this evening.

PM GeoBain ... he posted a few up from you, you can link to him there. It made a WORLD of difference for me ... like, HUGE.

I run adblock. Do the ads get cut AFTER they've been downloaded or do they not get sent at all? My guess is they get cut afterwards so that would explain me seeing the same slow downs if it is indeed Google ads.

I'm not sure about ADBlock, but if you use ADBlock Plus, along with rick752's EasyList filters, the ads do not get sent.

From the EasyList page, "All the filters in this subscription 'block' the ads from being downloaded at all."

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Skippermark

Still getting timeout errors. I don't know if it's google ads or not, but I KNOW I'm not downloading them at all. That doesn't mean the server isn't still being tied up trying to generate them though.