60 CSX repair-- $150?

I called them this morning (the email form on their site hasn't been working) and asked how much it would be to replace the "MARK" button that fell off... they said, since it is out of warranty, $150! :P I was shocked! That's half the price of a new unit!

Does this seem kind of high to anyone? A few months ago, I broke the battery compartment cover and asked how much it would be to replace it and they said "no worries, we'll send you one for free!" ;) Now, that's not what I expect every time.... but $150 seems unreasonable to me for replacing a button.

Am I crazy? Should I do it? Anyone know of another option?

Thanks! :P

Edited by Cache Heads

I called them this morning (the email form on their site hasn't been working) and asked how much it would be to replace the "MARK" button that fell off... they said, since it is out of warranty, $150! ;) I was shocked! That's half the price of a new unit!

Does this seem kind of high to anyone?

Compared to that which I paid to have a busted off button repaired, yes.

Anyone know of another option?

Thanks! :P

Another option? If you think that it might happen another 3 or 4 times, yes, I suggest another option.

I paid $38 to have my DeLorme PN-20 repaired after it was dropped and the button busted off.

Kinda' like insurance, huh?

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I obviously meant another way of getting my button replaced. If I was gonna buy a new unit, I'd probably stick with Garmin and go for an Oregon... which has no buttons at all! :P

As far as the refurb goes, while that might be nice in some ways, I'm really just looking to get the button replaced. $150 may not be a bad price for a new refurbished unit, but that's not what I'm in the market for. It's kind of like taking your car in for a broken door handle and having them tell you it's gonna be $15k to fix it, because instead of repairing the handle they want to give you a whole new car. ;)

Several people I read have had experiences where they will fix your problem even though the unit is out of warranty. I guess that would depend if you get a good rep on the phone that will cut you a break.

Say something along the lines of ts a small annoynace and you will live with it but say there is nothing wrong else wrong with the unit except for a button issue. Hehe ask them how much the button would cost as a part if it doesn't go well. Suck up to them on the phone or sweet talk them into letting you get it reapired under warranty.

I used a similiar ploy when I had a hard drive go out that was a few months after warranty and it seemed to work with Maxtor. If all else fails call back every day till you get someone who will help you.

Repairing individual units is a time and resource intensive process for a large organization. Many do just what Garmin appears to be doing which is simply charge a flat fee to send out a refurbished unit and put yours into the "to be refurbished" inbox.

With a little bit of online research I'll bet you could find the disassembly instructions for a 60csx, and either locate a source for replacement keymats or possibly just call Garmin and ask to purchase the part that you need. Another option might be to buy a dead or malfunctioning unit from here, or ebay or somewhere and strip it for the repair parts that you need.

Edited by Gamma68