Geocaching Organisations in the U.K. and Ireland

mandarin

I'm in Kent and I would love to see something get off the ground. I have seen on a couple of caches that people have discussed caches or got hints from people at Kent meets, so maybe there is already something. I am going to do some further investigation because it would be awesome to get some people together.

If you have set your Home Location on your account page then the site knows your approximate location: Go to the link below and scroll down the right column. You should see a link "List newest in [your region]" That will show you the most recent caches published in your area, with Event caches at the top of the list.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

MrsB

www.emCache.com

Recently started emCache is a regional Geocaching community targeted towards the East Midlands, the sites main feature is the forum which offers both public and member access.

Other features include a dedicated area for puzzle solving, a download area plus free emCache.com email accounts. Many more features are in development and users are invited to contribute their own ideas for the site.

Sadly this website has been shut down due to the persistent campaign by a delusional man and his band of dippy followers.

What a shame! And shock!

emCache was the model Geocaching community, it was always active, and always seemed friendly to me. People argue, they make up. It is a huge shame that this has happened! I don't really know what's behind this, but it is a shame!

Thank you to Tim for setting it all up and for your hard work, along with Bobbinz. Well done for walking out with your heads held high, even if it meant shutting the site down.

GG

Edited by Griff Grof

What a shame! And shock!

emCache was the model Geocaching community, it was always active, and always seemed friendly to me. People argue, they make up. It is a huge shame that this has happened! I don't really know what's behind this, but it is a shame!

Thank you to Tim for setting it all up and for your hard work, along with Bobbinz. Well done for walking out with your heads held high, even if it meant shutting the site down.

GG

I was grateful to Tim, Adam and others who's expertise and love of the game made the forum a very witty and enjoyable place to be. At times the exchanges were hilarious but.... I'm not sure about heads being held high. From the outside it appears to me that neither "side" in this development have covered themselves in glory. But just as an observation, as someone who did occasionally look-in and who contributed financially to site maintenance it struck me that in taking the site down there was only one person "holding emcache to ransom". That was the person who disbanded the site without consulting the membership or giving notice. Apparently, the Police became involved - in a caching forum ? What on earth was going on??? Too much playground politics perhaps..... I'm struggling here to see any heads being held high, and quite frankly I don't understand why forum members have not been offered the chance to pick up the pieces if Tim found the carry on so objectionable. For the record, I'm not on any "side" in this business. Be interested to know if anyone has a different slant.

Cumbrian Cachers on Facebook

I tried to join Cumbrian Cachers a while back but they don't want outsiders as members. Even though I explained that we visit Cumbria regularly.

That's a shame Jacaru for them and sounds rather clique sadly :(

I know the Dorset Geocachers group is open to those who visit the area too.

I think the GAGB have a list of all the Facebook groups they are aware of on their GAGB Facebook group.

I think it's good for people to mix from all areas.

I know our mutual friend Lillian Maund us on most groups :) which is great as it helps spread friendship as well as info about Geocaching news and events too :)

Anybody interested in forming a group in Devon (exeter/dawlish/newton abbot area) with emphasis on walking and exploring?

I would be interested in being in a Devon group. I live in the Starcross area and although I have been registed with geocaching for a year or so I have never actually got round to going out to find any geocaches yet but certainly intend to this summer.

Anybody interested in forming a group in Devon (exeter/dawlish/newton abbot area) with emphasis on walking and exploring?

I would be interested in being in a Devon group. I live in the Starcross area and although I have been registed with geocaching for a year or so I have never actually got round to going out to find any geocaches yet but certainly intend to this summer.

Most of the UK regional geocaching groups are now found on facebook. As far as I know there isn't any other on-line forum for Devon geocachers.

Devon Geocachers (on facebook)

MrsB

The above link is forwarding you to the old Forum - Please use the following link to get to our NEW West Midlands Forum HERE

Unfortunately this forum was closed a couple of weeks ago. My thanks go to Ian for keeping it running so long, and so well, and for creating a brilliant forum for cachers all around - I'll miss visiting it.

After the demise of EmCache and more recently WmCaching I would like to promote my Forum "Lincolnshire Cachers". Don't be put off by the name as we welcome all UK based Geocachers but focus on the Lincolnshire area as that's where most members are based, although we encompass and welcome new members from anywhere in the East or West Midlands, North, South, West Yorkshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire and even further afield.

Find us at Lincolnshire Cachers

and on Facebook at Lincolnshire Cachers

Edited by T1ffer

Looks like I'll manage to get to Ireland this autumn. My 5th visit to this wonderful country. I've never used my chance to meet local geocachers though. Most topics in this forum are related to the UK. From what I know there's Geocaching Ireland website (announced in this thread long ago). However the website looks abandoned, last news dated about 2008. Their forum works but I have problems when trying to register there. I will definitely follow all related announcements and new cache listings at geocaching.com but - does anyone know if there are any other geocaching websites in Ireland?

Looks like I'll manage to get to Ireland this autumn. My 5th visit to this wonderful country. I've never used my chance to meet local geocachers though. Most topics in this forum are related to the UK. From what I know there's Geocaching Ireland website (announced in this thread long ago). However the website looks abandoned, last news dated about 2008. Their forum works but I have problems when trying to register there. I will definitely follow all related announcements and new cache listings at geocaching.com but - does anyone know if there are any other geocaching websites in Ireland?

Most of the UK and Ireland geocaching chat seems to happen on facebook groups these days...

It's worth posting on the Geocaching Ireland forum (if you can get registered!) but you may like to join Geocaching Ireland on facebook.

MrsB :)

After returning to geocaghing after a break de to ill health I still noticed that there was NOT a Glasgow geocahing website / forum so instead of just sitting back and let someone make one I took the initiative and started one myself

people from Glasgow are known as WEEGIES so what better name to have for a the site as WEEGEOCACHING.COM

It is a website and forum for geocachers in and around Glasgow and also geocahcers form around the world

WEEGEOCACHING.COM

East Anglian Cachers

http://eastangliancachers.freeforums.org

On my return after a 2 year exodus from the hobby due to other commitments I was looking for a group to join in East Anglia to get back on the game, but I could not find any active groups so I decided to start my own forum in hope of creating a space for cachers in East Anglia.

So if you reside in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire or Norfolk and like me are keen to meet fellow Geocaching folk then please don't be a stranger now.

East Anglian Cachers

http://eastangliancachers.freeforums.org

On my return after a 2 year exodus from the hobby due to other commitments I was looking for a group to join in East Anglia to get back on the game, but I could not find any active groups so I decided to start my own forum in hope of creating a space for cachers in East Anglia.

So if you reside in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire or Norfolk and like me are keen to meet fellow Geocaching folk then please don't be a stranger now.

Welcome back to the hobby Jonoah.

It can be hard to get a new forum up and running in this age where other social platforms seem to rule, but it can be done. I hope this one comes to life for you. I do not live in that part of the country but may still join up, I am a member of a few other forums for different regions.

There is another established forum for that area through, which is EA GeoMobbers.

Hi, does anyone know if there is a Kent geocaching group? I am a very amateur geocacher based in Whitstable, Kent, but I'm making a game that has some location clue elements, and trying to get a playtest group together. I would be especially interested in meeting some local geocaching fans, and getting some honest face to face feedback on whether I'm on the right tracks.

http://playmakergame.com/ has a blog of the development process. If I can find a few Kent folks to try it that would be great, though I'm not so far from London if I can find volunteers there. Any suggestions for local groups to reach out to would be appreciated!

We've created a website/forums for Cachers in Guernsey, Channel Islands.

Don't worry though, you don't actually have to be in Guernsey to use our community :)

The Forums (the best bit!): http://guernseycaching.co.uk/forums/index.php'>http://guernseycaching.co.uk/forums/index.php

The Website: http://guernseycaching.co.uk

We've only just started and would like some members, so if you could get joining and participate in the community to get it going that would be appreciated!

Thank you.

EACachers.org.uk

The forum started in April 2007 with the idea of a regional forum to discuss more local topics which would be out of place on the 'main' forum

Our membership is open to anyone who caches or plans to cache in what is now the 'State' of East of England plus a few bits tacked on the edges.

At the moment we have just a basic forum and the topics range from techie help to where to eat and from events to geocoins. Of course we have various quizes etc (our most popular posting area) We have even been known to discuss geocaching but its very rare ;)

We have tried to keep the forum VERY family orientated, friendly place and have a junior section for member's children to encourage the next generation of geocachers