Helping Monarch butterflies. An agenda?

Mokzii

So, I had an idea for a cache. I absolutely love monarch butterflies. I photographed and studied them since I was a kid. They are becoming increasingly rare due to habitat loss.

I was thinking of placing a theme cache that would include info on the cache page about the butterflies, as well as butterfly themed swag in the cache - and milkweed seeds to be planted (but not as a requirement) in people's back yards if they'd like in order to give monarch larva a place to live and grow.

Would this be seen as an agenda? As I said, you would not be required to take or plant the seeds. It'd basically be swag that people trade if they wished.

There's also the added concern that milk weed is poisonous. But only if eaten - so should not be planted where cattle or other livestock graze. I reckon that could be a problem in and of itself. People with allergies might get the sneezes from the flowers, also.

Maybe this cache would be more of a problem than I originally thought.

What do you think? ;)

I don't see any more of an agenda to this cache than say dog themed caches. Your not requiring the taking and planting of the seeds. As to the issue of the plant being poisonous, I would think a warning on the cache page should suffice. But you can alway run it by your reviewer before you do much work on it.

Jim

If you were to provide a link to an organization on the cache listing, it would probably cross the line into being considered an agenda. For instance, information pertaining to Green Peace or the Sierra Club would make it an agenda in my mind. (I've got no idea what those have to do with butterflies though) ;)

As long as you're not including religious tracts claiming that Butterflies are representatives of God that were placed here on the earth by extraterrestrials with the express mission to save our souls...

As for the seeds, why not include in the small sample bags a printed sheet of paper explaining why you're hoping people will plant them, and also include all necessary warnings about them.

As long as you're not including religious tracts claiming that Butterflies are representatives of God that were placed here on the earth by extraterrestrials with the express mission to save our souls...

As for the seeds, why not include in the small sample bags a printed sheet of paper explaining why you're hoping people will plant them, and also include all necessary warnings about them.

No soul saving alien stories. Got it. ;)

And good idea about info in every seed pack. I'll do that. Thanks!

So, I had an idea for a cache. I absolutely love monarch butterflies. I photographed and studied them since I was a kid. They are becoming increasingly rare due to habitat loss.

I was thinking of placing a theme cache that would include info on the cache page about the butterflies, as well as butterfly themed swag in the cache - and milkweed seeds to be planted (but not as a requirement) in people's back yards if they'd like in order to give monarch larva a place to live and grow.

Would this be seen as an agenda?....

You nailed it. It's a themed cache. I for one would love those seeds as I find milkweed all over but never the butterflies or catapilars so maybe they are picky about what kind of milkweed.

The moment you asked them to vote for the Monarch Party, or Donate to the International Monarch Fund then it would cross the line into agenda. Educational caches are entirly ok.

Having said that I've also read silly over intrepretations of the "no agenda" rule in these forums so YMMV. Still it's a great cache idea and I'd love to find it.

...As for the seeds, why not include in the small sample bags a printed sheet of paper explaining why you're hoping people will plant them, and also include all necessary warnings about them.

Like 'not for consumpation'.

Not for children under 3.

Don't stretch the baggie over your face so you can't breath.

Stay out of California where these seeds cause cancer, but are ok everwhere else.

Don't throw bags of these seeds at weddings else the birds will choke on them.

Don't use them in slingshots or pea shooters...

After planting don't eat the catapilars or drink the milk.

Man this can get complicated.

Would this be seen as an agenda?....

You nailed it. It's a themed cache. I for one would love those seeds as I find milkweed all over but never the butterflies or catapilars so maybe they are picky about what kind of milkweed.

The moment you asked them to vote for the Monarch Party, or Donate to the International Monarch Fund then it would cross the line into agenda. Educational caches are entirly ok.

Having said that I've also read silly over intrepretations of the "no agenda" rule in these forums so YMMV. Still it's a great cache idea and I'd love to find it.

Well, good! I'll start the planning then. I plan on making this my first hide. I already have a lot of the swag I'll be using. Now to buy the seeds and find the perfect spot. ;)

...As for the seeds, why not include in the small sample bags a printed sheet of paper explaining why you're hoping people will plant them, and also include all necessary warnings about them.

Stay out of California where these seeds cause cancer, but are ok everwhere else.

Had a good laugh at these.

Especially the bit about not suffocating yourself. Good advice! xD

Perhaps also

WARNING: Will attract butterflies. Lepidopterophobics use caution.

Remember, you're not allowed to import into the State of California any seed packet with a capacity of more than 10 seeds, otherwise it's an "assault packet".

And the DOJ will probably want to "drop test" it... you know for everyone's safety.

:laughing:

Gawd I love this stupid state! :P

DCC

ild love such a nature themed cache. adds to the whole outdoor experience.

-//-

we get some jokes about the silly warnings in the US. so apparently there is truth in them :-)

SharpEdgeSign.jpg

sorry for the OT interlude , carry on.