Footwear for Hiking in Soft Sand

DarkhorseD

I'm planning to do some caching in Virginia's False Cape State Park, which is a barrier island. I plan to hike in from the North Carolina border and there are some mile-plus stretches of soft sand on the park's interior trail. I *think* my leather hiking boots are my best option, but am concerned by the all-pervasive nature of sand ending up rubbing my feet raw. Any better footwear options?

I'm planning to do some caching in Virginia's False Cape State Park, which is a barrier island. I plan to hike in from the North Carolina border and there are some mile-plus stretches of soft sand on the park's interior trail. I *think* my leather hiking boots are my best option, but am concerned by the all-pervasive nature of sand ending up rubbing my feet raw. Any better footwear options?

Not a sure fire backup or even terribly comfortable, but a good pair of rubber fishing/rain boots should be high enough to avoid getting any sand against your skin and they're easy to clean out in any event. We always did this when spending a day on the flats clam digging in Puget Sound. Never had any problems with the sand and we walked for miles over the course of a day. Other than that, I'd say to make sure you wear a wicking sock under a wool sock if you wear just a hiking shoe. The extra layer should help to keep the sand away from direct skin contact.

If it's uniformly soft sand, you may find that the best approach is to walk barefoot. Anytime you get sand inside your boots you risk serious chafing. Walking in sand while wearing heavy boots is very fatiguing. Sandals shed sand readily, but if your feet get wet, the sand will make an abrasive paste that will quickly wear through the skin.

I hadn't considered either of these - thank you!

Unfortunately, having having spent more time than I care to think about stuck with a pair of rubber riding boots in my younger days, I suspect that my regular rubber boots would become very hot and uncomfortable after a while. They would definitely be good for shorter expeditions, though!

I don't think barefoot is viable. There are a lot of prickle burrs and dry, sharp sticks behind the duneline. [Disregard the ugly visual the following will conjure up:] Would there be any benefit to sandals with a pair of wicking socks under them?

Would there be any benefit to sandals with a pair of wicking socks under them?

Could be--it's not something I've tried.

The darn thing is that the best shoes for sand are flip-flops. The flapping of the loose heel empties any sand that gets between your foot and the sole. Good hiking sandals--ones that have a proper ankle strap--trap sand beneath your feet as you walk, requiring you to empty them frequently. Whattya gonna do?

If you had sufficient time before the trip, you could toughen your feet sufficiently to resist burrs and splinters. Every spring I add deep-sand windsprints to my exercise schedule, and it's amazing how fast the feet toughen up after an "easy" winter. Less than a month of a couple sessions a week and they're like work-glove leather.

Having beached hiked on Assateague island three times I can speak for experience. I've hiked with a full pack that started out weighing around 30 pounds.

I would not hike in anything but mid-height boots. Why? They are high enough to keep out most sand and yet provide good good arch and ankle support. When walking on sand, arch support is the most important thing.

When walking on the beach it is the easiest to find sand that is packed from the surf. You don't want the wet and hard sand or the really soft sand. If you sink a lot in the sand it will suck a lot of energy out of you. I have read where people equate walking 3 miles on dirt being equal to 1 mile in the sand.

Take your time and go slow and enjoy your self. Talk lots of water and wear sunblock. You will get burned very easily.

My first question is how long total is the hike and will this be a multi-day hike or a few hour thing? If its going to be more than a few hours I would stay away from big rubber boots as I think they are very heavy although they would do good to keep the sand off you. I would also stay away from the sandal idea. Not only will sand get through the sock any sand on your foot has two major problems. One has been brought up and thats the sand will rub your foot raw. The other problem is the high alkalinity of sand. Keep the sand off your feet. If I where you I would wear a good pair of high top boots and then find a pair of gators to put over them. I call them gators anyway but incase you have no idea what I am talking about I will try to explain. We use them over our winter boots to keep snow out and I think it would do well in the sand. It a peice of cloth that slips over your boots and runs up above the top of your boots to mid calf height. It covers both the top of your boots and most of the boot lace and should keep the sand out. That's what I would do. Other than that if you feel any sand in your boot get it out and wipe your foot clean ASAP.

It's a day hike. The interior trail is 7.2 miles one way according to the park map. Thanks for sharing experience on Assateaque: I feel better about my leather, midheight boots now! I'll still take the flip-flops - I'm curious if they'll work in the soft stuff.

I will definitely check the tide charts and target low tide for the return hike to take advantage of the packed sand on the foreshore. Once I'm on the interior trail, I do not want to cross the duneline other than at designated points. (<RANT>People ignorantly careening around on the fragile dunes on the North Carolina side make me nuts!</RANT>) Either way, I'm committed to some decent stretches of the soft sand. Removing the sand ASAP is a good tip. Given how the sand works it's way into everything, methinks spare socks will be in order too.

My first question is how long total is the hike and will this be a multi-day hike or a few hour thing? If its going to be more than a few hours I would stay away from big rubber boots as I think they are very heavy although they would do good to keep the sand off you. I would also stay away from the sandal idea. Not only will sand get through the sock any sand on your foot has two major problems. One has been brought up and thats the sand will rub your foot raw. The other problem is the high alkalinity of sand. Keep the sand off your feet. If I where you I would wear a good pair of high top boots and then find a pair of gators to put over them. I call them gators anyway but incase you have no idea what I am talking about I will try to explain. We use them over our winter boots to keep snow out and I think it would do well in the sand. It a peice of cloth that slips over your boots and runs up above the top of your boots to mid calf height. It covers both the top of your boots and most of the boot lace and should keep the sand out. That's what I would do. Other than that if you feel any sand in your boot get it out and wipe your foot clean ASAP.

Gators? :laughing: Now why didn't I think of that the first time? That would work great with a boot that has at least a half-gusset. Good idea!

Shoes... On the beach... This makes me sad... :(

I just got from a two week vacation, visiting family in two different towns and then a week in Myrtle Beach. In all that time I could count the number of hours I wore my sandals on the fingers of one hand! I was barefoot the rest of the time. The beach? I'd never even consider taking shoes with me. I am the "Barefoot Cacher" though! Do what makes you comfortable, perhaps a pair of Crocs for off-beach walking.

Edited by Shiraz-mataz

When I hike in the soft sugar sand in FL, I go barefoot. I love it.