Pocket Queries

DHFisher

So I got my 60csx yesterday and I've got 2 questions...

1. When I create a pocket query and download to GSAK they are all loc files and not gpx files. Yes I am a member.

2. When I go to move all the cache information to the GPSr, I can only move 20 at a time.

Are both of these issues typical or am I doing something wrong? My guess is I'm doing something wrong and that's why I'm here!

Thanks!

1. When I create a pocket query and download to GSAK they are all loc files and not gpx files. Yes I am a member.

2. When I go to move all the cache information to the GPSr, I can only move 20 at a time.

Are both of these issues typical or am I doing something wrong? My guess is I'm doing something wrong and that's why I'm here!

Thanks!

A simple way to do it is to load the Mapsource CD which came with your Garmin onto your PC. Go to file - open and load in the GPX file which you have saved from the pocket query. This will show up to 500 caches on the map. Then select transfer to device and they should all load into the GPSr if the USB drivers have been installed correctly.

Sounds like you have selected .loc in the "In the format" drop down. Check and change to .gpx...

2. When I go to move all the cache information to the GPSr, I can only move 20 at a time

Thanks!

Yes you are doing something wrong in GSAK. You should be able to fill your waypoint memory with GSAK. Lemme see if I can duplicate your problem.

Don't even bother with the Garmin software...

When I go to my email that they send with the pocket query info, I click on the link and it shows the first 20 caches of the query. From there I 'check all' then hit the download button and it sends only those twenty that are on that page to GSAK. Those are all .loc files because most of the information isn't there, like 'last found', 'terrain', etc...

If I open one of the caches before downloading or anything else, I can choose to use .gpx and when I do that, GSAK shows all the fields to be populated.

The part I'm missing is getting all the caches over to GSAK in the .gpx file format.

When I go to my email that they send with the pocket query info, I click on the link and it shows the first 20 caches of the query. From there I 'check all' then hit the download button and it sends only those twenty that are on that page to GSAK. Those are all .loc files because most of the information isn't there, like 'last found', 'terrain', etc...

If I open one of the caches before downloading or anything else, I can choose to use .gpx and when I do that, GSAK shows all the fields to be populated.

The part I'm missing is getting all the caches over to GSAK in the .gpx file format.

That is the WRONG way to use the zip file of your PQ.

If GSAK, go to an empty database or a database of your choosing,

Click on File, Load GPX/Zip. There is no need to unzip the files.

GSAK will do that for you and load the complete contents of the zip file, all gpx files within it will get into your database.

That's up to 500 caches all at once for a standard PQ and infinity for your finds PQ (well of course that's an exageration).

Then in GSAK, filter however you want, or don't filter and send to your GPS. All that are visible will go there, up to the limit that your GPS has for waypoints.

Again, you are downloading them from the PREVIEW PAGE. This is the WRONG thing to do. On the page where you build the Pocket Query, you need to select a day for it to run. Then once it is run, you will receive the file in your EMAIL. You would then open THIS FILE in GSAK (or wherever).

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Right on! I was overlooking the fact that there was an actual attachment. When I opened the email the only thing my eyes saw was a link to the previews. When I noticed there was an actual attachment, I downloaded it then dragged it directly into GSAK. If I just tried to click on it to open it, it wouldn't work.

So this brings me to my next question... Is there any way to get a little more information over to my 60csx? Info like hints or description. I'm guessing the answer is no and that's what I would use a pda for but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks all!!!

So this brings me to my next question... Is there any way to get a little more information over to my 60csx? Info like hints or description. I'm guessing the answer is no and that's what I would use a pda for but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks all!!!

There IS a way to input geocaches as a POI (point of interest), there is ups and downs of using this method.....

The ups are that you can upload more than your 500-100 waypoint memory limit on most garmin's, and you can also have more characters of information.

The downside is that you cant really mark them as found, or select GOTO the next cache.

We usually use the POI method for our caching because we dont usually need to take paperwork with us and it suits us best.

There is information in these forums and on the GSAK forums about how to do this. Sorry but I cant actually recall where I found this info and im fairly tired at the moment, but if you just search the forums for something like "more waypoints" or "P.O.I." you will soon find it.

If you cant find anything by the time I get home tomorrow night I will see if I can find the links for you.

ttfn.

When I had a 60CSx I loaded my caches as both caches and POI's. Each had slightly different information on them and I could get a lot of information on the gps. I think I had the GC#, difficulty, terrain type and size as the geocaching information. In the POI I had the name of the cache and as much of the clue that would fit in the comment section.

When I had a 60CSx I loaded my caches as both caches and POI's. Each had slightly different information on them and I could get a lot of information on the gps. I think I had the GC#, difficulty, terrain type and size as the geocaching information. In the POI I had the name of the cache and as much of the clue that would fit in the comment section.

Howdy......

I will try that.......

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :laughing:

Howdy......

I will try that.......

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :laughing:

:D I have a question too. I read somewhere (on here somewhere) that I could load a pocket query and import it to my Palm PDA and open it with a reader. Is this possible?

So there is a way to get more info into my 60... I would very much like to get more than a few words of the description in the note section of the cache information. I guess research is in order!

If anyone knows right off hand where to find the details to get this done, the information would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!

Right on! I was overlooking the fact that there was an actual attachment. When I opened the email the only thing my eyes saw was a link to the previews. When I noticed there was an actual attachment, I downloaded it then dragged it directly into GSAK. If I just tried to click on it to open it, it wouldn't work.

Thanks all!!!

Check out my "profile page" the info on this apage can answer some of your question very quickly.