Need help with "Archiving" a Cache

Trez

Funny, all the things mentioned on the cache page...by the OP in this thread...and by the cacher that posted the most recent "find" leads me to believe that terrain at/near this cache is no different then many of the City Parks, County Parks, and State Parks in this area. Maybe it is time we close all those down as well since non of them say the "Climbing Gear" is recommended to the enjoy these either.

:rolleyes::):):):):):)

Edit: By "this area"...I mean my local area in SE Minnesota...we have numerous high bluffs and rocky ledges...

Many of the caches I have found have been much closer to an edge of a bluff then the 10ft mentioned in the original log...If I come to an area in which I don't feel comfortable...I do one thing...

I just walk away...nothing bad about the area...it just wasn't for me...nothing more, nothing less....just walk away and be glad I made it as far as I did!!!

Edited by ArcherDragoon

regarding danger:

At every cache page, it says:

alert-on.gif Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/disclaimer.aspx

That disclaimer says, in part:

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache. .... Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution. ....

Talked with the Sherriff's department (for the County where the cache is, the ones who left a note in the cache to contact them last year). They have no problem with the cache and encouraged me to contact my local sherriff's department with the content of the emails from Handycapt.

Also spoke on the phone today with a gentleman from Groundspeak.

I'll be updating the information on the cache tonight.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Talked with the Sherriff's department (for the County where the cache is, the ones who left a note in the cache to contact them last year). They have no problem with the cache and encouraged me to contact my local sherriff's department with the content of the emails from Handycapt.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Lisa, glad to see you are getting it all worked out.

Thanks for taking the effort to keep the cache alive!

I'm glad that Groundspeak has taken a more active role in this situation, including standing by their disclaimer. That's a very good sign for COs who cater to the more adventurous set. It also tells me that Handycapt's "file", into which all of this is going, is only taking up space (much like its owner). Good job handling the situation, Trez; I'm sure your sheriff's department would be interested to have a look at any correspondence you might view as harassing.

One of the members of our caching party is an attorney, and in his opinion, the cache placement constitutes a needless and careless risk to people lives./quote]

Ah, there's the problem. Some ambulance chaser sees a chance to make some coin.

I haven't made it to the end of this thread yet, but from what I have seen so far, those people made their own choice to go for the cache, no one was standing there pointing a gun at them telling them they HAD to get it. I'd ignore them as a bunch of hot air.

By the way, I just found out that the original wording of the cache listing where they (my exhusband and my kids who listed this cache) said "A cache that requires some up hill walking and climbing." was a *tongue in cheek* comment .... you see there are a set of man made STEPS to *climb* up. There's definately no climbing gear needed for this cache.

Thought those of you who have been following this all along might find that amusing, I sure did, considering all the hoopla that one gentleman has made about this cache.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Glad to hear you got a call from Groundspeak. ;) Post an "Owners Maintnance" log and say it was checked on. Sounds like everything is under control. I encourage you to delete that log. To do so, Click view this log on a seperate page. Then hit delete log and yes. Poof! its gone and deducts him a find. Good luck!

Has anyone noticed that this man has now removed not only his posts (there were two) from the cache page, but removed his picture from his profile, and came back to this forum and basically removed his diatribe from this page as well?

I am now starting to get the creeps from this, and all I was trying to do from the beginning was let him know that I saw his complaint and someone would check it out.

things grow stranger by the moment.....

I think his profile page says it all... GEOTROLL!

edit:

Ouch!

From his profile...

handycapt

Oooooppps...

Edited by OzzieSan

This thread keeps getting more interesting...I like how the OP was accused of "misleading" cache description by another cacher...and now that cacher has changed his/her profile and now is misleading others regarding the cache...

"After being told not to worry, you arrive at GZ to find an ammo box chained to a bush that's hanging over the edge of a 40ft vertical drop to large boulders below."

I love it...now the cache is actually hanging over the edge...wasn't it 10ft from the edge a couple days ago...WOW...talk about an erosion problem in the area...

I wouldn't send him any more notes, or reply to any more of his. If he continues to threaten you with legal action in emails, you might want to let the nice folks at Groundspeak know about the emails. They really don't take kindly to folks writing abusive letters using their system.

Make sure you let his bar association know about his harassment, too!

Came to this thread late on and there's not a lot left to add that hasn't already been said except that this cache isn't too far from me and has gone straight onto my to-do list, should we ever be passing that way. It looks like it ticks all the boxes for a great geocache and I look forward to visiting it some day :anibad:

Some people just can't seem to let it go... now the son comes in with:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:49 PM

Subject: [GEO] George&Heather contacting Trez from Geocaching.com

I have removed my comments from the high falls cache page. I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

-George

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=db...00-bfd956c936dd

To which I made no reply.

I started to tell him that he didn't owe any apology, as he had done nothing but post his opinion, he had not threatened or harrassed me, it was his father (On this guys profile page it shows that "Handycapt", the one who WAS harrassing me, is his father) who owed an apology, but decided to just let it go.

but then this morning I get this:

Log Date: 8/22/2008

I am one of the "two related individuals with less than two months experience geocaching [that] felt that this cache was in a dangerous location." I guess my opinion carries little to no weight to a cache owner with the mind boggling experience of 3 finds and 3 hides. In an attempt to be civil I redacted, then subsequently removed, my find from the page. Apparently, the cache owner would rather mock me for having an opinion rather than make an adult, good faith attempt at informing people that the location of this cache is in what some would consider a dangerous, or at a minimum less than ideal area. As such, I am posting this note to let others know that I stand by my original post and that I advise others who look for this cache to be aware of their surroundings and any potential risks near the cache.

I took someone else's advice and just deleted the log entry.

Are there just people out there that really have no life and must find ways to harrass those of us that do?

Anyone out there want to adopt this cache? I do not have time for this kind of headache.

Some people just can't seem to let it go... now the son comes in with:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:49 PM

Subject: [GEO] George&Heather contacting Trez from Geocaching.com

I have removed my comments from the high falls cache page. I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

-George

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=db...00-bfd956c936dd

To which I made no reply.

I started to tell him that he didn't owe any apology, as he had done nothing but post his opinion, he had not threatened or harrassed me, it was his father (On this guys profile page it shows that "Handycapt", the one who WAS harrassing me, is his father) who owed an apology, but decided to just let it go.

but then this morning I get this:

Log Date: 8/22/2008

I am one of the "two related individuals with less than two months experience geocaching [that] felt that this cache was in a dangerous location." I guess my opinion carries little to no weight to a cache owner with the mind boggling experience of 3 finds and 3 hides. In an attempt to be civil I redacted, then subsequently removed, my find from the page. Apparently, the cache owner would rather mock me for having an opinion rather than make an adult, good faith attempt at informing people that the location of this cache is in what some would consider a dangerous, or at a minimum less than ideal area. As such, I am posting this note to let others know that I stand by my original post and that I advise others who look for this cache to be aware of their surroundings and any potential risks near the cache.

Are there just people out there that really have no life and must find ways to harrass those of us that do?

Anyone out there want to adopt this cache? I do not have time for this kind of headache.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? I would ignore them, and depending on what they say, just let the log stand. To this post I would have put a note in the log pointing out that they are saying exactly what GC.com says about assuming the risk.

Jim

If I lived closer, or had someone to watch it for me, I would adopt it from you. It seems like a nice enough cache. You don't need to rush to get rid of it. This will no doubt stop soon--You've only had great logs until now, and most new will likely be good from here on out.

You may want consider toning down the message you have on the cache page. There really isn't any reason to refer to the two finders who disagreed with the cache, especially now their finds are deleted. Having the reference to them there might seem a bit like taunting them at this point, and doesn't show how gracious and patient you have been with this situation.

As for their latest post, I'd just ignore any additional notes from them, and delete any negative posts they make--after changing the cache page.

If it were my cache, I would update the cache page It's been out there a long while now--there are attributes you could add, and the description really could stand a reworking. I'd say something like:

Located off High Falls Trail along the High Falls Branch of Talladega Creek, this cache requires some up hill walking and climbing. From the trail near the pond, you might notice a tree that appears to be nibbling on a rock; the cache is above that area.

Take the man-made staircase on the left to the top of the falls, then follow the path that crosses the stream and climbs upward slightly to the right. Take the next path to the right and you should find the cache toward the left of the trail, chained to a bush a short way off the trail.

The general area offers fantastic hiking trails and views, but it is rugged and not recommended for young children or for night caching. The terrain is appropriately rated; please be careful in the area.

Also, if it were mine, I'd add some attributes (ticks, no night hiking, scenic view, etc) and give folks some idea of how long the total hike was from the most logical parking area (and say where that parking is located).

Adding the warning about not taking children or doing it at night is for the benefit of people that don't take the time to understand the rating system—and might make it more appealing to people who do like a good steep climb to a cache.

And if I were you, I'd continue to do exactly that with all logs regarding this affair. You don't have to put up with this. If it continues, don't hesitate to again report it to Groundspeak. You'd have thought one person managing to get their account banned would warn off all the others involved but I guess not.

Located off High Falls Trail along the High Falls Branch of Talladega Creek, this cache requires some up hill walking and climbing. From the trail near the pond, you might notice a tree that appears to be nibbling on a rock; the cache is above that area.

Take the man-made staircase on the left to the top of the falls, then follow the path that crosses the stream and climbs upward slightly to the right. Take the next path to the right and you should find the cache toward the left of the trail, chained to a bush a short way off the trail.

The general area offers fantastic hiking trails and views, but it is rugged and not recommended for young children or for night caching. The terrain is appropriately rated; please be careful in the area.

You are right. I was getting frustrated and reacting a bit immaturely with the tone of the listing. Thanks for the input in how to appropriately list it. I've taken your suggestion and used your wording above. (I hope you don't mind.)

I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

Lisa

You are right. I was getting frustrated and reacting a bit immaturely with the tone of the listing. Thanks for the input in how to appropriately list it. I've taken your suggestion and used your wording above. (I hope you don't mind.)

I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

Lisa

No, that's fine. Please feel free to use that wording. I'm so glad you have decided to keep that cache going. It does sound like a nice one!

<snip>

From his profile...

handycapt

Oooooppps...

I notice it doesn't say that any more -- is banning only temporary? I figured it to be permanent. Guess I won't be out caching in that area next time I'm driving over that way.

What an interesting thread. Now when I crash the car racing to a FTF I will be able to sue the cache owner for putting it in such a dangerous place to drive to. Having lived in this wonderful country for eight years now, and seen all the lawyer advertisements on TV this surely is the country where everyone sues for no particular reason. There are many arrogant people, seems to me to be more here than anywhere else. This person is lucky I am not the cache owner. I thought Florida was the epidimy of stupidity but here is an instance that proves me wrong.

Please keep the cache going just to spite him. I have had both hips replaced and an artificial heart valve, I still go geocaching but am aware of my limits. I love the forest and are buying an ATV so as we don;t have to walk so much. I read the page and all dangers are made aware to the person seeking this cache. If I lived nearby I would not go after it, only because of my limitations.