How to download geocaches from a program?

abandoned

I'm not for very long with geocaching community but recently I have noticed that there are some programs that are able to get list of geocaches (online maps, geocaching tools) so I expect there is some public 'interface specification' that can be used to retreive geocaches and data about geocaches. Problem is I don't know where to look for this specification. Could anyone of you give me a hint? I'm really sick of downloading geocaches through the web page intarface :)

The geocaching site lets you download cache data in two file formats. One (a .loc file) is a pretty streamlined desciption of cache names and locations. The more robust format (a .gpx file) contains hints, descriptions, recent logs, etc. .gpx data has become a widely used waypoint data transfer format, and lots of third party applications can read the format. Among them are MapSource (Garmin's map interface), and Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (google or search this forum for GSAK for more info). GSAK is a database management tool that lets a user import cache info in a variety of formats, filter and sort the data, and export the results (again in numerous formats) using a slick program call GPSBable "under the hood".

If you want to do it yourself, try looking up the .gpx file specs. I'm pretty sure the info is public.

The geocaching site lets you download cache data in two file formats. One (a .loc file) is a pretty streamlined desciption of cache names and locations. The more robust format (a .gpx file) contains hints, descriptions, recent logs, etc. .gpx data has become a widely used waypoint data transfer format, and lots of third party applications can read the format. Among them are MapSource (Garmin's map interface), and Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (google or search this forum for GSAK for more info). GSAK is a database management tool that lets a user import cache info in a variety of formats, filter and sort the data, and export the results (again in numerous formats) using a slick program call GPSBable "under the hood".

If you want to do it yourself, try looking up the .gpx file specs. I'm pretty sure the info is public.

Thank you. But I have no problem to process the data (GPX or LOC) I just don't know how to get these data from geocaching site using my program.

Hoping I can piggyback on this question a bit. I too have an Oregon (300) . I also have a NUVI 360 and have used Pilotsnopes amazing program to load 500 cache locations from pocket queries onto my Nuvi. No idea how to do the same for oregon? I can generate the PQ's and have GSAK loaded -I just have no idea what to actually click to export? Lame I know...Do I select Send to GPS? Export? What format? I m a premium member so want all hints etc. I have tried a few but keep getting error messages. Help??

Looney;

Check out the wiki pages for oregon or colorado - or for that matter check out the GSAK.NET page. Pretty clearly layed out.

You can select a group of caches, via a filter, in GSAK. Then go under file and export and select .gpx and choose the location and file name and you should be good to go. Presumably with the device connected as an external drive you can drop the file with the correct name right into the folder you'd want it in for an Oregon.