duplicate tracking number

dark_onyx1982

I have been collecting coins for close to a year and I have come across a problem new to me and I have not seen mentioned on this board previously. I did several coin trades a few months ago, some activated, some unactivated. Well in the process of going through my coin album and adding the coins I got a few months ago, I sent adoption requests to a couple of people who had forgotten to process the adoptions at the time of trade. Funny thing is, one of the coin the owners says they never traded this particular coin. Their coin is sitting safe and sound at their house. I know 1 & I, along with 0 and O, can look alike. there is one 0 in the tracking number. I have tried the other variant of the code and i get a "it does not exist" message. So there seems to be 2 prowler53 paw coins with the same tracking number floating around. Has this ever happened before?

I have had problems distinguishing "6", "8", "9" and "B" with some of the smaller codes

sometimes "M", "N" and "W" can look alike, too

I have gotten into the habit of keeping a magnifing glass nearby

"I"/"1" and "O"/"0" should not be an issue

it is my understanding and experience that the letters can only exist in the first two positions, and that the numbers can only exist in the last four positions

I know when I minted the Belize Toucans, I had 4 sets (eight coins total) that had matching tracking numbers. I only minted 250 of them and was actually crazy enough at the time to go through each coin and mark off the numbers which I don't do now, lol. I also had some geotags that had identical tracking numbers. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would imagine that every batch of coins has tracking numbers that have been used more than once. Since the majority of coins are sitting in collections and unactivated, it hasn't been a big issue.

Wow. I was about to post a new topic about this. I sold a customer a geocoin I had bought new from the webstore. It is a Snow Ammo Can geocoin. He was having troubles getting the activation code because it said it had already been activated. So he sent them a picture of the tracking number and it shows it was activated November 28th of 2007. Hmmmm... Since I did not have this coin in hand until 2 months ago, how could it be activated last year.

So is this a case of where the same tracking number was put on 2 different coins? Or could someone actually activate a coin by entering the wrong numbers and get the activation code for this coin? I should mention they are both ammo can geocoins but one is a snow and the other is an urban.

I have contacted the geocacher that has activated the coin and sent him the picture with the tracking number on the coin to see if his matches this one.

I am wide open to suggestions.

I know that some numbers and letters can look alike. I am sure my code contains a zero and not an "O". Even when i replaced the zero with an "O", it says that is not a valid number. The problem is, this tracking number has already been activated by another party and they have checked and it safely in their collection. So I have a coin with a tracking code that has already been activated and "owned" by someone else. I am with you rsfish, I am not sure how to handle this. :laughing:

The company that you purchased your unactivated coins should take care of this issue for you. They always keep a few extra stashed away for this reason. Even if you bought this from a third party the company that made or sold this coin should be liable and willing to help you and if they do not It would be nice to know so I do not purchase items from them. The one I had issues with had no zeros and we both had the same tracking numbers and mistakes like this do happen on occasion.

it is my understanding and experience that the letters can only exist in the first two positions, and that the numbers can only exist in the last four positions

We have one coin that I was working with this morning which violates the rule suggested in the quote.

It is a GeoElement coin and has letters for the first two followed by a digit and three more letters for the remaining four.

We have one coin that I was working with this morning which violates the rule suggested in the quote.

It is a GeoElement coin and has letters for the first two followed by a digit and three more letters for the remaining four.

Unfortunately neither of these rules applies. 2006 CITO coins all start with "C6...", while most coins start with two letters. Also, numbers and letters can be in any position.

TMA

Wow. I was about to post a new topic about this. I sold a customer a geocoin I had bought new from the webstore. It is a Snow Ammo Can geocoin. He was having troubles getting the activation code because it said it had already been activated. So he sent them a picture of the tracking number and it shows it was activated November 28th of 2007. Hmmmm... Since I did not have this coin in hand until 2 months ago, how could it be activated last year.

So is this a case of where the same tracking number was put on 2 different coins? Or could someone actually activate a coin by entering the wrong numbers and get the activation code for this coin? I should mention they are both ammo can geocoins but one is a snow and the other is an urban.

I have contacted the geocacher that has activated the coin and sent him the picture with the tracking number on the coin to see if his matches this one.

I am wide open to suggestions.

Randy,

Please contact me offline and we'll get your Ammo Can mess straightened out.

TMA

I know the Prowler53 Paw coin is an oldie and as I feared there is no way to replace it. So currently have a coin i cannot use. It really bites in this situation because it took me a good 6 months to get my hands on this one, as I really LOVED this design. Thank all of you for your info and your help.

For the others who have duplicate numbers I can only hope your coin is a bit newer and a replacement can be found.

"I"/"1" and "O"/"0" should not be an issue

I appologize for not being clear in my original post

I meant to say that in my understanding and experience the letters "I" and "O" (eye and oh) can only appear in the first two positions, and that the numbers "0" and "1" (zero and one) can only appear in the last four positions

another way of putting this is to say that I believe that you will not see a zero or a one in the first or second position, and that you will not see an eye or an oh in the third, fourth, fifth or sixth position

numbers are rare in the first two position, but are not un-heard of

5Txxxx for the 5-star coins

C6xxxx for the 2006 CITO coin (as previously noted)

C7xxxx for the 2007 CITO coin

T6xxxx for the Toronto 2006 coins

I would not be surprised if there are others