Gas prices / proximity

greg1701

hello all... I'm about to (finally) place some caches of my own as I was feeling guilty about my growing number of found caches (136) compared to my placed caches (0)....

I have a lovely park near my home which has no caches currently.. and with gas prices as high as they are (which keep me from all but "Destination Geocaching") nowadays I thought it would be nice to place 4 or 5 in and around the park (all over 512 feet apart, per the guidelines...)

Thus, people could park at the....er.. park... and have a number of caches (varying degrees of difficulty) to enjoy and save money on fuel at the same time..

That was my thought anyway.. then someone who also geocaches said they would rather place them all over rather than concentrate them...

So I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.. would you all appreciate a grouping of nearby caches (not multi, as I don't want one muggle to ruin all the caches by stealing one) or is it better for me to expand the radius...

Greg

Actually the guideline for saturation is a multipart guideline. Not only should caches be .1 mile apart but you shouldn't saturate a small area with a bunch of your caches "just because you can". Especially in a short period of time. While 5 is not a large number - I'd be willing to bet that your reviewer would suggest turning 5 all about 500 feet apart in a small park into a single multi-cache.

Actually the guideline for saturation is a multipart guideline. Not only should caches be .1 mile apart but you shouldn't saturate a small area with a bunch of your caches "just because you can". Especially in a short period of time. While 5 is not a large number - I'd be willing to bet that your reviewer would suggest turning 5 all about 500 feet apart in a small park into a single multi-cache.

I thought about that.. not all of them are in the park though, just in blocks around the park... so hopefully they'll be approved as a non multi-cache.. with the number of muggles around, if one of the "parts" of the multi gets muggled then it's no fun for anyone...

We'll see.. :D I just thought with gas prices what they were that putting them a little closer to each other than I normally would might not be a bad thing..

You might be violating the power trail guideline by doing so.

That said, I'd rather each cache stand on its own and bring me to someplace interesting, than get 5 quick cookie cutter smileys

I don't see what the price of gas has to do with anything. If the price goes down will you move them further apart?

That said, I'd rather each cache stand on its own and bring me to someplace interesting, than get 5 quick cookie cutter smileys

I don't see what the price of gas has to do with anything. If the price goes down will you move them further apart?

Well, after reading the replies I'll move them further apart.. but as for the price of gas, I know a lot of people who are doing less geocaching just due to the cost of gas and driving around.. so I thought if they were somewhat nearby you could do several without restarting your car for each one... that's all...

Well, after reading the replies I'll move them further apart.. but as for the price of gas, I know a lot of people who are doing less geocaching just due to the cost of gas and driving around.. so I thought if they were somewhat nearby you could do several without restarting your car for each one... that's all...

I think ultimately, you'll get very little support here in the forums for the five caches in the same park. This is not to say their aren't tons of geocachers who would like "5 quick grabs" in the same park. You probably just won't hear from them here. :)

I suppose it also depends on the park size. Does it have a nice trail system? Or pretty much a wide open park where they'd all be barely 528 feet apart?

I think ultimately, you'll get very little support here in the forums for the five caches in the same park. This is not to say their aren't tons of geocachers who would like "5 quick grabs" in the same park. You probably just won't hear from them here. :)

I suppose it also depends on the park size. Does it have a nice trail system? Or pretty much a wide open park where they'd all be barely 528 feet apart?

it's not a big park. again, they would be placed not only in the park, but in blocks surrounding it.. but I'm rethinking the whole thing now anyway.. thanks for the post tho.

I've got a location that I could place 4 caches in because its just large enough.

BUT, I WON'T.

I plan on placing 2 unique caches, that you will have to drive between them. I thought about a multi, but this location just doesn't have the vibe of a good multi. So I will only place 2 unique caches and move on.

Sometimes its not about just putting out several cache.

Gas does play a roll for MANY cachers.

I've certainly noticed a downward trend in logging of late.

I've got a location that I could place 4 caches in because its just large enough.

BUT, I WON'T.

I plan on placing 2 unique caches, that you will have to drive between them. I thought about a multi, but this location just doesn't have the vibe of a good multi. So I will only place 2 unique caches and move on.

yeah, Gas prices are a bummer...

I just placed my first one ever five minutes ago and it's 100 feet outside of my condo building.. I'll place a few more around my nearby park and house before I venture out... I want to get my feet wet and I figure people will be able to park their car and bang out a few.. even though they'll have to walk over 0.10 miles between them.. I'll make them far enough apart so they won't be considered a power trail...

I'll hide a few near work next.. still trying to figure out places that can whether the elements well here...

thanks for the post...

BUT, I WON'T.

I just placed my first one ever five minutes ago and it's 100 feet outside of my condo building..

What are your neighbors going to think about all the strange activity in front of their homes?

I just placed my first one ever five minutes ago and it's 100 feet outside of my condo building..

What are your neighbors going to think about all the strange activity in front of their homes?

it's a condo building and it's far enough away that I don't think anyone will notice...

--it's far enough away that it won't be a problem... and as for "all that strange activity"... at least in Denver there isn't enough activity that it would seem odd...

I just took a look at the first two caches via the satellite map. One looks like it's in a parking lot, the other alongside a traffic island. These are not places I would feel particularly inspired to visit when I head to Denver, unless there was something really interesting in the parking lot or traffic island.

A quick look at the surrounding area reveals some potential interesting spots that would be a good spot for the cache. The riverfront a couple hundred yards to the east has several areas that would provide a better view and would be a better spot for a series of caches as you can place them up and down both sides of the river.