GAGB

With respect to Mandarin, the

Groundspeak Forums > Geocaching Groups by Country > United Kingdom

in my opinion is no longer the best place to read/talk about UK geocaching. The GAGB forum seems to be taking off, with several regulars joining in lively discussions.

I have no particular stake in this, but I feel that the setup of having the Groundspeak main forum for general geocaching-related talk and info, and a separate and independent forum for UK-related material is the ideal solution to the endless problems we experience on here. With a few tweaks, we can get the GAGB forum more suited to the British way of discussion.

I'm not saying that one way is better than another, but much though I like the Americans (I've been to the USA twice now and enjoyed every minute) there is an obvious cultural gap which it's clearly hard to bridge. This is an American forum, despite the title of this subsection, and is quite rightly run according to American ways, laws and customs. Which are somewhat different from ours. Not surprising: it's a foreign country, and the slang has the same words but with totally different meanings (dadgum, darn, dag nabbit and cuss it all t' tarnation :(:D ). (Edit: the software must have converted all these terms!)

We could just do with a few more people bookmarking the GAGB for their primary caching discussion zone, then I think that it's forum nirvana. :D

The Duck might just get a smoother pond to sail up and down as well! :(

Edited by Happy Humphrey

in my opinion is no longer the best place to read/talk about UK geocaching. The GAGB forum seems to be taking off, with several regulars joining in lively discussions.

I have no particular stake in this, but I feel that the setup of having the Groundspeak main forum for general geocaching-related talk and info, and a separate and independent forum for UK-related material is the ideal solution to the endless problems we experience on here. With a few tweaks, we can get the GAGB forum more suited to the British way of discussion.

I'm not saying that one way is better than another, but much though I like the Americans (I've been to the USA twice now and enjoyed every minute) there is an obvious cultural gap which it's clearly hard to bridge. This is an American forum, despite the title of this subsection, and is quite rightly run according to American ways, laws and customs. Which are somewhat different from ours. Not surprising: it's a foreign country, and the slang has the same words but with totally different meanings (dadgum, darn, dag nabbit and cuss it all t' tarnation :(:D ). (Edit: the software must have converted all these terms!)

We could just do with a few more people bookmarking the GAGB for their primary caching discussion zone, then I think that it's forum nirvana. :D

The Duck might just get a smoother pond to sail up and down as well! :D

I'll ask the obvious question :D

What are these endless problems you refer to and just how is "the British way of discussion" so different to any other way?

The main differences I can see over at the GAGB are a tendency to tell people to shut up if you they don't agree with them and the proud boast that they accept swearing and gratuitous name calling :(

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :D

I'm not saying that one way is better than another, but much though I like the Americans (I've been to the USA twice now and enjoyed every minute) there is an obvious cultural gap which it's clearly hard to bridge. This is an American forum, despite the title of this subsection, and is quite rightly run according to American ways, laws and customs. Which are somewhat different from ours. Not surprising: it's a foreign country, and the slang has the same words but with totally different meanings (dadgum, darn, dag nabbit and cuss it all t' tarnation :D:D ). (Edit: the software must have converted all these terms!)

We could just do with a few more people bookmarking the GAGB for their primary caching discussion zone, then I think that it's forum nirvana. B)

The Duck might just get a smoother pond to sail up and down as well! :D

I'll ask the obvious question :D

What are these endless problems you refer to and just how is "the British way of discussion" so different to any other way?

The main differences I can see over at the GAGB are a tendency to tell people to shut up if you they don't agree with them and the proud boast that they accept swearing and gratuitous name calling :D

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :(

I seem to recall UK Tim telling me I was in a volcal minority last week :(:D

M :D

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :D

I said "the Groundspeak main forum for general geocaching-related talk and info,". When it comes to UK/GB-related talk and info, it's clear to me that posting on a US-overseen forum has its limitations. Generalising about Americans having better manners, whether true or not, is not helpful. I wanted to avoid making this a US v UK thread, but you're trying to steer it in that direction.

The main differences I can see over at the GAGB are a tendency to tell people to shut up if you they don't agree with them and the proud boast that they accept swearing and gratuitous name calling

I said that tweaks are needed: it's not perfect there. But you get chance for a riposte to the "shut up" call, don't you? Rather than immediate reference to guidelines and threats of suspension?

Anyway, if you don't like the GAGB forum you're welcome to ignore my call to join in. This wasn't really a discussion thread, more a news/reminder post.

Quoted from UKtim.....

The main differences I can see over at the GAGB are a tendency to tell people to shut up if you they don't agree with them and the proud boast that they accept swearing and gratuitous name calling mad.gif

You may have notice, or perhaps not that swearing is edited out.

Editing is very rare in my experience, bans are not quite as rare as rocking horse poo though nearly.

All are welcome and please feel free to express your opinions in there even if others may not agree with them.

Personally I will be staying astride the fence for now.

As an American clearly butting in where I have no business :(, I'd say that I don't see this as a US/UK issue as much as a Groundspeak vs. local control issue. There are plenty of US people who don't agree with the limitations/focus/whatever on the "big green" boards and maintain hundreds of regional and smaller localized boards. I see the GAGB as the same type setup.

In my area, for example, we have a very active Yahoo mailing list, but I can only think of 1 or 2 people besides myself that ever read the geocaching.com forums, much less post in them....and one of those that I've seen quite a bit is fairly active in the UK forum. :D

Our group talks about charity, cache runs, things for sale, and pretty much anything and everything because our group has reached a consensus that they don't mind reading about non-geocaching topics. We just don't have the same restrictions that Groundspeak has decided should apply to their boards.

I like getting the flavor of multiple boards (I always just "view new posts" and read anything interesting). Other people never venture beyond their local group. Nothing wrong with either approach...choice is a beautiful thing.

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :(

I said "the Groundspeak main forum for general geocaching-related talk and info,". When it comes to UK/GB-related talk and info, it's clear to me that posting on a US-overseen forum has its limitations. Generalising about Americans having better manners, whether true or not, is not helpful. I wanted to avoid making this a US v UK thread, but you're trying to steer it in that direction.

The main differences I can see over at the GAGB are a tendency to tell people to shut up if you they don't agree with them and the proud boast that they accept swearing and gratuitous name calling

I said that tweaks are needed: it's not perfect there. But you get chance for a riposte to the "shut up" call, don't you? Rather than immediate reference to guidelines and threats of suspension?

Anyway, if you don't like the GAGB forum you're welcome to ignore my call to join in. This wasn't really a discussion thread, more a news/reminder post.

Once again someone dodges the question :D .

What exactly are these "limitations" you speak of?

Once again someone dodges the question :D .

UKTIM

You are a total <edit to remove personal attack>.. voicing yer own opinion that does nothing more than wind every one up.. do us al a favour and wind your neck in..

Moss T

And yes I have read all your posts.. you havent learnt anything have you..

Edited by mandarin

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :)

Once again someone dodges the question :) .

Try reading the posting by KoosKoos from across the pond if you really can't see any of the limitations!! :)

Stick with the Americans they have far better manners and less off-topic clutter :)

Once again someone dodges the question :) .

Like I said before, I don't post very much but I lurk quite a lot and I think on the whole I prefer uktim's forum activity between Nov 3 2002 and Apr 23 2008. Have you considered usatim as a moniker? :)

Thank you Mandarin for the formal warning.. I am afraid you seem to have fallen into the GSP trap, so soon too.. don't worry I will impose a 3 day self imposed ban.. Save you the bother..

I hope you are ready for the flak pet.

He is a pain in the butt and over opinionated..

See you all friday..

Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

Word in your shell like.. chuck the towel in while you still have credability..

I ask all posters to consider the following:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Thank you

mandarin

As this is an American based forum

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Seems they are going against there own constitution

Byee

As this is an American based forum

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech

Sigh... this argument seems to get advanced on every Internet forum which has moderation, most often by Americans (it's a perennial favourite in the "Geocaching Topics" forum, too). In some cases they even seem to sincerely believe it. How anyone gets from a constitutional rule which limits what the United States Congress can do, to what a private citizen or a business can choose to allow their guests or customers to do on their property or computer systems, is beyond me.

I should have requested that the thread was closed after my initial post as I anticipated the following "discussion" from the start. As it's not really meant to be a point of debate, then would Mandarin please do us all a favour and shut it down at this point. If some of the general issues are still seen as a topic of debate, I suggest that the GAGB forum is a better venue! :)

I should have requested that the thread was closed after my initial post as I anticipated the following "discussion" from the start. As it's not really meant to be a point of debate, then would Mandarin please do us all a favour and shut it down at this point. If some of the general issues are still seen as a topic of debate, I suggest that the GAGB forum is a better venue! :)

As the OP has very clearly requested that this Topic be closed, I hope Mandarin doesn't mind the Back Up Mod stepping in and actioning the request.

Deci

As the OP has very clearly requested that this Topic be closed, I hope Mandarin doesn't mind the Back Up Mod stepping in and actioning the request.

Deci

Is Deci banned from closing topics? :):)

Just what I was going to say... :)

But it give me time to put in my two peneth (or cents!)

Bottom line is, if you don't like the rules of the forum, go elsewhere. I can only assume that the people who choose to sling insults around are the same people I'd choose to ignore in real life too. If you can't be civil, then just keep quiet.

The only thing I find annoying is that simple words such as dam.n are not allowed here, just as they are usually banned from the US TV, yet the Channel 5 News here this morning ran that same word on some voice-mails at least 3 times during their 'Rant' call in feature....

Anyway, back on topic, wasn't this being closed??? :)

I would add some cutting yet insightful remarks of my own here, but respecting Happy Humphrey's wishes, I'll say nothing. Except this. And that... And that I hope people will show Dec and Duk the respect they deserve- I've only been warned for saying dam- you don't catch me out that easily! by mandarin; I was given a ban without warning by a non-UK moderator. Be grateful for what you have; it could be far, far worse*

*Give it time :)

Oh, and I'll be posting in both forums (fora?) as long as I'm welcome t/here. So, another week then :)