Garmin Colorado 300 or 400?

Hello, I'm looking at buying a new GPS. I have a Garmin Legend and want to upgrade. I'm looking at the Colorado but I see there is a 300 and a 400. Two questions. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 300 and 400? If you were going to buy one, which one would you get for Geocaching, hiking, hunting and maybe even for the car?

Thanks for the input, It's appreciated!

300 has no mapping software preloaded on it. 400 has Topo 2008 Preloaded on it. 300 has 384 Megs of internal memory while the 400T has 4 gigs of internal memory. You can put a SD card of whatever size you want in either unit to add additional maps.

As for hunting and fishing most people still prefer the 60CSx, the colorado are basically geocaching units.

If I were you I would make every attempt to "try out" the Colorado before putting that much money into a GPS. I purchased one without trying it out and ended up reselling it. I found it not to be the best choice for geocaching. Not very functional -- the only good thing was having the paperless capability AND the GPS capability in one instrument. We went back to our PDA for paperless and Etrex Legend for the GPS. I am sure there are other options more functional than the Colorado. I have heard the Oregon is a good choice but don't know anyone yet who is actually using it.

From the spec list of 300 and 400t, I see a difference for the "compact antennae" category.

300 - YES

400t - high-sensitivity

Is there really a different chipset in these units? Appears that the 400t has better accuracy then?

No and no.

If you want topo maps of more that 2/3 of the USA then the 400t is your only option. If you don't need large area map coverage then the 300 is a better economical choice.

From the spec list of 300 and 400t, I see a difference for the "compact antennae" category.

300 - YES

400t - high-sensitivity

Is there really a different chipset in these units? Appears that the 400t has better accuracy then?

Garmin comparison are usually not accurate. I run into the same issue comparing some of the nuvis. The 300 and 400 are identical except for the memory. Everything else down to the chipset and antenna is the same.