When is a post on or off topic?

uktim

Honestly - an awful lot, if not all UK folks don't consider the D word inappropriate. Neither do we think the H word is (if it means what I think it means in your post). Maybe that's because there are a lot less catholics here?

Do you consider the W word inappropriate?

Lisa

Any usage of the D Word I might now employ could be regarded as provocative.

I hope this whole naughty words issue goes away too.

While I have no problem with the original use back in the mists of time, or continued use in normal discussion, the way you've been endlessly repeating it over and over and over and over again for a long time now does have the appearance to me of being deliberately provocative. It's become very tiresome, and Mandarin has been exceptionally tolerant. If you can just exercise a little self control and not mention it for 24 hours, the issue will go away.

Rgds, Andy

Im in full agreement with Amberel...I think the moderators have shown great restraint in the face of stupid, unfunny,unclever,infantile comments posted by certain people recently..There seems to be a rush for martyrdom amongst these few and i for one am finding it very repetitive and frankly infantile.i want to be free to read through the forums without having to weed out comments posted by 'children' who should know better. ;)

Honestly - an awful lot, if not all UK folks don't consider the D word inappropriate. Neither do we think the H word is (if it means what I think it means in your post). Maybe that's because there are a lot less catholics here?

Lisa

So you don't mind your kids using it in normal conversation? With teachers, etc?

Lisa

So you don't mind your kids using it in normal conversation? With teachers, etc?

As much as you seem to be unable to understand/accept that the use of this word in the UK IS generally found to be acceptable, many here have a similar reaction to folks in the US having such a problem with its use.

As has been illustrated a few posts above there are words in daily use in the US that would be considered absolutely unacceptable if used by adults (let alone children) in many situations.

Lisa

As much as you seem to be unable to understand/accept that the use of this word in the UK IS generally found to be acceptable, many here have a similar reaction to folks in the US having such a problem with its use.

As has been illustrated a few posts above there are words in daily use in the US that would be considered absolutely unacceptable if used by adults (let alone children) in many situations.

So, you refuse to answer the question? I'll restate it again....

Would it be acceptable for children in the UK to use such language when speaking with adults, clergy, teachers, etc. There would be no problem with that?

"Hello Pastor McDonald.. Fine "D" weather we're having, wouldn't you agree?"

"Miss Patterson, this math assignment is too "D" difficult, can I have an extension on the due date?"

Give me a break.... We're different across the pond, but not that different... You must think we're stupid over here too eh?

Although I promised not to continue the conversation I wanted to let you friendly folks (you know who you are ;) ) know that I did receive a warning. I agreed and that is that.

Had I not agreed I would have continue that conversation directly with the mod or requested a hearing from the gc.com Appellant Committee.

:P

Happy caching folks.

Would it be acceptable for children in the UK to use such language when speaking with adults, clergy, teachers, etc. There would be no problem with that?

"Miss Patterson, this math assignment is too "D" difficult, can I have an extension on the due date?"

I'd have a problem with that.

"Miss Patterson, this maths homework is too "D" difficult. Can I have an extension on the due date please?"

would be fine though.

Lisa

I don't have kids.

Oh, and you didn't answer my question.

Edited by minstrelcat

Actually I think both of those phrases are acceptable. There is no intent in either phrase to curse, swear or offend. Now if it were a "F"ing instead of a "D", it would be different.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Lisa

I don't have kids.

I don't know what the "W" word is?

Lisa

I don't have kids.

I don't know what the "W" word is?

Rhymes with tanker.

Rhymes with tanker.

There's a restaurant a few miles from here called "W"s corner. They serve peanut's and allow you to throw your shells on the floor. I believe it is the owner's last name... Beyond that, i'm not even quite sure what it means...

Perhaps that is your point? (I'll go google it right now)

EDIT: Looked it up on google and made some changes on my page as to not insult, regardless of origin.. Perhaps others should so the same courtesy..

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I'm really happy that we seem to be having a sensible discussion here, where although we are focusing on specific words, the underlying point it the fact that individuals, including in the US, are having warnings and even Bans/Suspensions due to differences in national (regional?) perceptions of words in a core language. I won't say common because I personally believe that in the past 200 years there has been significant divergance.

What I find incredulous here, regarding the 'D' is that I have heard it repeated several times on news reports these past 2 days (different stories/features) on Channel 5 (Fox) in Las Vegas. So if 'D' is so offensive on this side of the pond, why am I hearing it on the News?

Equally, a few weeks ago I was going to use the fairly common UK phrase regarding someone not knowing their 'behind from their elbow'. I found that the 3 letter derivative was auto corrected, whilst the 4 letter one was not.

I was not deliberately testing the filter, I had simply used the 3 letter word and found it edited in the post preview, then I tried the 4 letter one. I chose not to use the phrase in the end since there was so much trouble brewing.

The fact is, that to call someone an As* is in my (UK) experience, to be calling them a Donkey, not a posterior...

Which brings us back to the risk people run of having Lackies or Global Mods applying their 'standards of good language' onto a different culture where the meaning can, and often is, quite different.

E.g it's like me going to the Doctor/Nurse and being told to 'Drop your pants', they ain't talking what I'm hearing... :laughing:

I'm not saying there is an easy answer (other than to have the UK Forum moderated by English speakers, not American speakers), but I am asking that non UK Mods/Lackies take a breath before committing to the Big Button or whatever they have :)

I'm really happy that we seem to be having a sensible discussion here, where although we are focusing on specific words, the underlying point it the fact that individuals, including in the US, are having warnings and even Bans/Suspensions due to differences in national (regional?) perceptions of words in a core language. I won't say common because I personally believe that in the past 200 years there has been significant divergance.

<snip> ....... etc. etc.

A very sensible post which summarises many of my thoughts on the subject.

I think it highlights the fact that people around the world are different. Not better nor worse, just different. Some differences between cultures are stark, for instance it is common in France to be able to sit outside a cafe drinking a glass of wine. However try that in, say, Saudi Arabia and you would probably be locked up. Other differences are more subtle, such as the differences in meaning of words between people speaking ostensibly the same language.

While Geocaching has the admirable aim of being "family friendly", this has to be tempered by the recognition of what this means where the activity is taking place. I recently attended a camping event without my wife (she doesn't do camping!) and I happily chatted to ladies, both married and single. A perfectly innocent and normal activity in England. What would I have let myself in for if I had tried this in, say, Saudia Arabia (to use the same example)? I doubt that it would have been allowed and the consequences probably quite serious.

So I contend that it is impossible to have a single definition of "family friendly". I resent someone else telling me what is acceptable for my family. As an adult I make the decision what is suitable for my children. Actually they are grown up now but you know what I mean. :laughing: Similarly as a parent I have a responsibility to monitor and control what my children do while on the Internet, including these forums.

I have no real problem with moderators reining in those who set out deliberately to cause offence, however if someone chooses to be offended by what I have said in all innocence then that should be their problem, not mine. Since when have I had a right NOT to be offended by anything? Never. I occasionally read the "main" forums and I find certain threads which often pop up there offensive. Those having the discussion see nothing wrong so I let them get on with it. That is how it should be.

What we are seeing now is that Geocaching as a "sport" is maturing and is spreading around the world. What may have been appropriate when it was a niche local activity is no longer the case. Differences need to be recognised both by those who run the activity and those who take part.

Well I thought I had, but just to clarify, I really do not see a problem with the useage of this word for adults or children, and as I stated above I struggle to understand your problem with the word. But then that is what this discussion is all about, cultural differences and our (partially) shared language. As in many areas of life there will always be the exception to the rule, so if the intent in the use of this word (or any normally inoffensive word) is to be offensive, then yes it would no doubt be offensive.

Give me a break.... We're different across the pond, but not that different... You must think we're stupid over here too eh?

Well I certainly do not think you are any more stupid over there than we are over here. But as we have been trying to illustrate, there most definitely are some differences, and obviously greater than you ever imagined. I am sure as time goes on these differences are being reduced, mostly by use of the internet and satellite/cable TV. My son often uses words/pronunciation/accent from US (pop) culture. Sadly IMHO this merging of cultures seems to be one way, so perhaps one day in the future the use of the D word will become frowned upon in the UK :laughing:.

Edited by Mad H@ter

Well I thought I had, but just to clarify, I really do not see a problem with the useage of this word for adults or children, and as I stated above I struggle to understand your problem with the word. But then that is what this discussion is all about, cultural differences and our (partially) shared language. As in many areas of life there will always be the exception to the rule, so if the intent in the use of this word (or any normally inoffensive word) is to be offensive, then yes it would no doubt be offensive.

Well I certainly do not think you are any more stupid over there than we are over here. But as we have been trying to illustrate, there most definitely are some differences, and obviously greater than you ever imagined. I am sure as time goes on these differences are being reduced, mostly by use of the internet and satellite/cable TV. My son often uses words/pronunciation/accent from US (pop) culture. Sadly IMHO this merging of cultures seems to be one way, so perhaps one day in the future the use of the D word will become frowned upon in the UK :laughing:.

And to take the above examples of use of the "D" word, in these above circumstances, the word itself is irrelevent, it is the tone and intent that gives the illusion of swearing.

is no more (and to my mind at least, significantly LESS offensive, than

"Miss Patterson, this math assignment is too fudging difficult, can I have an extension on the due date?"

and fudge is clearly a totally non-offensive word!

and yes, as Rutson said, a "please" at the end makes it significantly better in both cases! Tone and intent are important, not necessarily the word itself.

There's a restaurant a few miles from here called "W"s corner. They serve peanut's and allow you to throw your shells on the floor. I believe it is the owner's last name... Beyond that, i'm not even quite sure what it means...

Perhaps that is your point? (I'll go google it right now)

EDIT: Looked it up on google and made some changes on my page as to not insult, regardless of origin.. Perhaps others should so the same courtesy..

That was exactly my point. Thanks for understanding! :laughing:

And I can think of at least one other example of a word (mentioned earlier in this thread) that is used innocently in the US, yet is pretty rude in the UK.

Edit: or was it mentioned in the other thead - I've lost track!

Edited by minstrelcat

<snip>

And I can think of at least one other example of a word (mentioned earlier in this thread) that is used innocently in the US, yet is pretty rude in the UK.

Edit: or was it mentioned in the other thread - I've lost track!

Let's stop beating about the bush here :laughing: , the word is fanny. As in fanny pack, which is what I believe the folks in the US call our bum bag. A bum bag may be Walmart receptacle that a tramp in New York keeps his (or her, to be politically correct) belongings in.

My last comments on what is becoming an increasingly trivial subject.

If any particular words or usages are genuinely considered to be somewhat offensive by a signficant subset of readers (and don't foget this forum is open to all) then, if the word is not essential to the expression of whatever it is you are trying to convey, would it not be sensible as a matter of simple politeness to at least consider rephrasing your sentence?

For those of you of a disputatious bent, this isn't carte blanche for you to suddenly claim an aversion to words like "geocaching" or "and".

I spent a couple of years living in New York and didn't find the "cultural differences" - that seem to be of such great concern to some you - particularly significant, of language or manners. But then maybe London to New York is less of a jump than to some other parts of the US, or indeed to some parts of the UK.

If any particular words or usages are genuinely considered to be somewhat offensive by a signficant subset of readers (and don't foget this forum is open to all) then, if the word is not essential to the expression of whatever it is you are trying to convey, would it not be sensible as a matter of simple politeness to at least consider rephrasing your sentence?

couldn't agree more - i think the discussion revolves around what words some subsets consider offensive, and other subsets genuinely don't. Despite protestations to the contrary, I and many others genuinely believe that dam.n is not an offensive word, and only tone and intent can make it so. On the other hand, I would suggest f*nny is offensive, and not a word I am comfortable writing in the forums - and no, I'm not in any way prudish! I can and will swear like a trooper when I feel like it!

<snip>

What's wrong with trivia? Like Geocaching is really important :)

Nothing at all ... it's just that I've run out of things to say.

Darn it! :laughing: That was meant to be my last word.

By the way, when BQ used the term "poopy-head" it gave me the biggest laugh I've had on here, ever. What's that they say about little things and little minds?

Any usage of the D Word I might now employ could be regarded as provocative.

I hope this whole naughty words issue goes away too.

While I have no problem with the original use back in the mists of time, or continued use in normal discussion, the way you've been endlessly repeating it over and over and over and over again for a long time now does have the appearance to me of being deliberately provocative. It's become very tiresome, and Mandarin has been exceptionally tolerant. If you can just exercise a little self control and not mention it for 24 hours, the issue will go away.

Rgds, Andy

Since you're speaking directly to me with this post, I think I owe you a direct (and equally public) reply: I've not dared use the D word in its fullness (with a . in the middle somewhere, as is the fashion) since I received a warning following a ban for its use. Groundspeak policy would allow a moderator to give me a further ban or even exclude me from this forum forever if I use it again. Do a search; The last time I used it myself and didn't have it removed from the post (and be 'punished') was April the 18th this year- If I could edit a post that old to remove it, I would. I've not endlessly repeated it. Unless you mean darn?

I couldn't agree more with people who think this situation is childish. It is, but it's not a situation of my making. It wasn't me who decided to ban me for words you'll find on many High Streets and in books in school libraries. It wasn't me who issued a warning specifically for using 'the D word'. It has been me who's helped make a wider issue of it, but then it's your forum; these rules and potential punishments effect you too. Except they've not- I don't know anyone else who's been in trouble for a lighthearted D. Yes the situation is childish, but as I've said before, while 'the authorities' are taking it seriously enough to issue bans for 'anagrams of words which are rude', and warnings for 'D', they're taking it a lot more seriously than I am. Ignoring this issue for 24 hours won't 'make it go away'. Not until Groundspeak (rather than mandarin) say D is fine will the issue go away- and that's unlikely to happen.

It comes down to respect. Moderators who make good decisions get my respect. Those who don't don't make it easy for me to respect them- although I will always remain civil. I also like to be treated with respect and like an adult in return and until recently it'd been a loooong time since anyone gave me a telling off for saying D.

(Last word to Team Sieni- I wonder if 'PH' was the phrase BQ got a warning for? Think on, young man...)

Its all debatable (hence the debate in this thread).

I asked around last night amongst my friends (all Americans) and none of them admitted to being offended by the word d a m n. Not in conversation, print or on TV. None if them thought it was too objectionable to use in front of children from time to time. So that puts that one to bed.

What we did find really interesting though was the ever expanding use of initial letter instead of real words.

For a long time we have had the F Word. Not made famous by Gordon Ramsey apparently. In the US we have the N Word, not at terrible to use in the UK and over here where only black Rap stars are allowed to use it.

Then there is the C Word which is pretty unpleasant in the UK (but without that one Chubby Brown would be F'ed) but is almost a total no-no for Americans.

But wait... there's more. This one week we have a new one. The movie "Tropic Thunder" is being picketed because of what we are told is the liberal use of the R Word.

Which words can we use on this forum, well no one is going to publish a list so its just left to guesswork. It does seem though that its Global Moderators again who are operating with the heavy hand and not over local one. I suppose I'd better shut up at this point before I get K'ed.

I've been following this thread carefully and some parts have been very interesting but my feeling is that not only is it now straying Off Topic, it's also straying well away from being Geocaching-related, which is what this Forum is about.

I don't want to close the thread (although I will do so if I feel it's rambled enough) - most posts have followed forum guidelines well - but I want to get back to some relevance to Geocaching.

Would any following posters please get it back in the required direction, please?

mandarin

Edited by mandarin

Whereas I agree it's straying away from geocaching, I feel it IS relevant to discuss the geocaching forum.

It does seem crazy that it's OK for an American to post a word that would see my sons grounded for a month but we can't say a word that I wouldn't bat a eyelid if I heard them say it.

Since you're speaking directly to me with this post, I think I owe you a direct (and equally public) reply: I've not dared use the D word in its fullness (with a . in the middle somewhere, as is the fashion) since I received a warning following a ban for its use.

... It has been me who's helped make a wider issue of it, but then it's your forum; these rules and potential punishments effect (sic) you too.

I didn't say you had used it without a period in the middle. It's not relevant because the period makes no difference to the semantics, it merely gets it past the automatic checker. The same applies to anagrams of offensive words. You have incessantly inserted these anagrams and dotted words into your posts for several days now, and I can see no other reason than to deliberately provoke the moderators.

You know perfectly well that Groundspeak do not wish you to use offensive words in the forums, and you also know that the majority of people think that is a good principle. I think you have to decide if you are prepared to accept that principle, and frankly that includes dotted words and anagrams used as aliases for offensive words. If you're completely opposed to offensive words being prohibited then then they might as well ban you for life now.

If you do accept the principle we then come to the issue of how offensive language is monitored. There is an imperfect automatic filter to take out some obvious words, backed up by moderators who are more flexible than the automated system.

We know that there is one word on the automated list which we over here do not find offensive. You seem to believe that the ability to use this one little word in these forums is a basic human right for which it is worth fighting a long and bitter campaign. It's not - it's no big deal - there are more than half a million words that you are allowed to use! Worse, in the conducting of this campaign you repeatedly use that word (dotted, to get it through the auto checker) and other words (in the form of anagrams) that generally ARE considered offensive over here. It is that continual repetition, saying these words just for the sake of saying them, that is provocative to the moderators and tiresome to other users of the forums.

Finally, you appear to be under the impression that your're fighting this battle for me, but please don't delude yourself. This one just isn't important. It doesn't register on the same scale as the spats we've had with GS in the recent past.

Rgds, Andy

Since you're speaking directly to me with this post, I think I owe you a direct (and equally public) reply: I've not dared use the D word in its fullness (with a . in the middle somewhere, as is the fashion) since I received a warning following a ban for its use.

... It has been me who's helped make a wider issue of it, but then it's your forum; these rules and potential punishments affect (thanks for spotting that one) you too.

I didn't say you had used it without a period in the middle. It's not relevant because the period makes no difference to the semantics, it merely gets it past the automatic checker. The same applies to anagrams of offensive words. You have incessantly inserted these anagrams and dotted words into your posts for several days now, and I can see no other reason than to deliberately provoke the moderators.
I *can't* use D without a dot in the middle. No one can- why would I say you said I had? I've not inserted anagrams (bar a carp, I think) into my posts here, and not a single dot. If you're going to suggest I have, be prepared to do some quoting. Sir, I call you out on this one: Let's see your evidence.
You know perfectly well that Groundspeak do not wish you to use offensive words in the forums, and you also know that the majority of people think that is a good principle. I think you have to decide if you are prepared to accept that principle, and frankly that includes dotted words and anagrams used as aliases for offensive words. If you're completely opposed to offensive words being prohibited then then (sic) they might as well ban you for life now.
The debate is what is an offensive word. I've had a ban for two names described to me by a global mod as profanities. I couldn't agree more about there being sensible limits on words and their context- I've tried not to use any more words with the potential to offend, which is why I did let a D through a while ago, and that I got a warning for. This is a family-friendly forum and I think common sense applied to what is ok and what isn't is wholly appropriate. Had my original contentious post just been edited, I'd have taken that as notice of inappropriateness here. An alias for an offensive word? Either the names I used are profane or they're not; that's what I was banned for; Profanity.
If you do accept the principle we then come to the issue of how offensive language is monitored. There is an imperfect automatic filter to take out some obvious words, backed up by moderators who are more flexible than the automated system.
I do accept the principle and I'm sure everyone knows how the system works, by now.
We know that there is one word on the automated list which we over here do not find offensive. You seem to believe that the ability to use this one little word in these forums is a basic human right for which it is worth fighting a long and bitter campaign. It's not - it's no big deal - there are more than half a million words that you are allowed to use! Worse, in the conducting of this campaign you repeatedly use that word (dotted, to get it through the auto checker) and other words (in the form of anagrams) that generally ARE considered offensive over here. It is that continual repetition, saying these words just for the sake of saying them, that is provocative to the moderators and tiresome to other users of the forums.
D has now been approved by mandarin, where appropriate. Hooray for common sense. I hope my 'fighting a long and bitter campaign' might have helped get it off the 'use this and be warned or banned' list. A small victory perhaps, but no less satisfying. Now, you've accused me of 'dotting' and 'anagramming' before this post, and I responded to point out you were wrong. You've accused me of it again, so again, I ask you to post whatever proof you have. I don't like being misquoted and that's what you're doing. Please stop, or prove me a liar. If the moderators felt I'd been doing anything wrong, they'd tell me. Or warn me, or ban me. As for everyone else, I'm sorry that this is dull but while Andy makes stuff up about me, I do feel justified in responding. There will come a point when he falls below my personal Troll Limit and then I'll just ignore him.
Finally, you appear to be under the impression that your're fighting this battle for me, but please don't delude yourself. This one just isn't important. It doesn't register on the same scale as the spats we've had with GS in the recent past.

Rgds, Andy

Not you personally Andy, but if you wanted to say D, you wouldn't find me tutting. Speaking of spats with GS, what news of your appeal Peter?

Quick edit, as I wouldn't want to be wrong on this. I've checked and I do have a single dam and a carping out there. Also, in one reckless moment, I did ask a moderator if danm was ok. No one has yet let me know either way, so I have taken a risk typing it on this forum again... I have no live D words later than last April. I'll let others decide if this counts as 'incessantly inserting' them. :(

Edited by Simply Paul

This thread has now gone round in a complete circle. It has wandered on and off topic. I would like to repeat my previous comment about the use of inappropriate words - "Intent is all" - For what it is worth this is the instruction l received from Groundspeak.

I've decided it's now time to close this thread. Thank you to all contributors.

mandarin