Cachemate & Pocket Queries

m.austin

Ok, so I officially feel like an idiot. I have paid for and installed Cachemate on my HTC Tilt phone. However, where the heck do you find Smittyware or whatever the heck data they want so you can register the software?

Then, I figured out that in order to do anything with Cachemate I had to run a pocket query. I did this once, quite awhile ago. I got all kinds of cool data sent to my e-mail. This time, however, nothing, nada, zilch. No e-mail, no data. I may have done something wrong - I don't know. But the bar is grayed out, telling me I can't run another query for X days, so I would have thought I would have gotten a query sent to me?

Finally, is there a website that tells you how Cachemate works? I'm usually pretty computer literate & can figure out how to run whatever software I need on my computer, but I'm still learning on the phone how the file set up works. TIA!

Ok, so I officially feel like an idiot. I have paid for and installed Cachemate on my HTC Tilt phone. However, where the heck do you find Smittyware or whatever the heck data they want so you can register the software?

Then, I figured out that in order to do anything with Cachemate I had to run a pocket query. I did this once, quite awhile ago. I got all kinds of cool data sent to my e-mail. This time, however, nothing, nada, zilch. No e-mail, no data. I may have done something wrong - I don't know. But the bar is grayed out, telling me I can't run another query for X days, so I would have thought I would have gotten a query sent to me?

Finally, is there a website that tells you how Cachemate works? I'm usually pretty computer literate & can figure out how to run whatever software I need on my computer, but I'm still learning on the phone how the file set up works. TIA!

I use GSAK to pull the PQ in and sort, move, delete - basically just edit it to the way I want it, then export it to a GPX file, then copy it over to CacheMate for importing.

GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - gsak.org

CacheMate - smittyware.com. They have forums there too for the cachemate program.

Edited by wkmccall

The query with the greyed out bar sounds like a 'My Finds' query. It can only be run once every 7 days. This query will give you a PQ of all your logged finds on GC.com.

I think you may want to click on 'Create New Query' which up closer to the top of the page. Before you select a day that you want it to run, leave the days unchecked. That way you can play around with it for a bit to make sure it is coming back with the caches you want. Then go back and check off a day.

Once you get your PQ, unzip it and put it into a program like GSAK. Then from there you can import it into CacheMate.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers! :)

I use GSAK to pull the PQ in and sort, move, delete - basically just edit it to the way I want it, then export it to a GPX file, then copy it over to CacheMate for importing.

GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - gsak.org

CacheMate - smittyware.com. They have forums there too for the cachemate program.

I just got my m515 and have only been reading a little here before I start using it so this may seem like a dumb question...but....when you export it into your PDA (CacheMate) does it update the data that is already in the PDA? Or do you delete the last export then export the new PQ data?

If you export form GSAK to the same name PDB file it will give you the standard "Do you want to overwrite" dialog box which you click yes and it does. Sync. The update to Cachemate doesn't occur until you open it and it checks for new files and comes up with a dialog box asking you which DB you want it in. Then it will update. It is not automatic.

If you export form GSAK to the same name PDB file it will give you the standard "Do you want to overwrite" dialog box which you click yes and it does. Sync. The update to Cachemate doesn't occur until you open it and it checks for new files and comes up with a dialog box asking you which DB you want it in. Then it will update. It is not automatic.

so it over-writes it vs. updates it? I just got it on my Palm - did a PQ, sent it to GSAK then to the Palm. I noticed I could add information to a cache on the palm but am thinking that it would just get lost when I send an updated PQ to the Palm. Is there a way to save the stuff I type into the Palm (time found, etc)?