Going Paperless? Still print out a map?

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

I have gone paperless and was wondering how all of you who are paperless, how do you know where the next cache is? I know the gps will point you in the direction "as the crow flies", but at least with a map, you know the park is on the corner of so and so.

I hope you understand what I'm asking. I can read the descriptions on my palm, but most of the time they don't tell you what park or street the cache is in or near. Do you just drive around and watch the compass on the gps and try to park as close as you can to the cache?

How do you go from cache to cache without maps? Or is there a way to get the maps onto my palm?

Thanks!

Its just the same as caching with paper, you have to plan your route, choose your caches... Paperless just means that you have decided to stop wasting paper and printer ink and have, instead, put all that info on to a PDA or other storage device.. The kids and I spend a little time planning our route and which caches we want to get, thats a big part of the adventure for us! A little pre-planning goes a long way! But thats just my opinion....

I have a mapping GPS and simply look at the map on the screen.

Same here.. I have a Blackberry with blackberry maps and google maps.

CacheBerry will let you tag the caches in the planned area and view them in the maps. That way you can see which direction/route would be best to go..

1. We are using the Garmin IQue M5 and have maps.

2. Set the cache you just completed as "center point" and sort for the next closest cache.

3. Also the Garmin will voice route you giving turn-by-turn directions.

We find it to work quite well when used in conjunction with a GPS unit for fine tuning the final cache location.

The IQue gets you to the parking coordinates and then the GPS leads you to the actual cache.

I went paperless early on, using a PocketPC and Cachemate, but I still print out a Google map of the area I'll be in so I can see where the caches are in relation to each other. I often use that map to keep track of the finds for the day, marking them off with a pen as I go. It's true you can accomplish a lot of that with the GPS, but I just like having an overview of the area.

my 2 cents

I went paperless early on, using a PocketPC and Cachemate, but I still print out a Google map of the area I'll be in so I can see where the caches are in relation to each other. I often use that map to keep track of the finds for the day, marking them off with a pen as I go. It's true you can accomplish a lot of that with the GPS, but I just like having an overview of the area.

my 2 cents

This is similar to the way we cache. I generally use Mapsource with my Garmin GPS. It gives a clean printout of the area. We use it to plan our route in town to reduce our travel time, or to plan rest (caching) stops while traveling. When necessary, we do as Briansnat said - just use the map on the GPSr.

I have to say I'm a bit old school and have gone somewhat paperless. I still need to see a map however my hubby had a laminated mapbook of our area - very cache rich - and I use a marker with it that washes off with water. This allows me to use the book over and over again and I can visually see my whole route for the day. Love it and it works well. I also label each dot with a letter and make myself a key on the side of the map...ie a = (cache name), b = (cache name)....eventually I will become all paperless but until then...I'm loving this way.

I have to say I'm a bit old school and have gone somewhat paperless. I still need to see a map however my hubby had a laminated mapbook of our area - very cache rich - and I use a marker with it that washes off with water. This allows me to use the book over and over again and I can visually see my whole route for the day. Love it and it works well. I also label each dot with a letter and make myself a key on the side of the map...ie a = (cache name), b = (cache name)....eventually I will become all paperless but until then...I'm loving this way.

That sounds like an excellent system!

Personally, I keep a Chattanooga City map and a Rand McNally Highway map in my vehicle at all times (caching or not). I use these in combination with the digital maps on BackCountryNavigator and my bluetooth GPS receiver. If I'm going to be caching out of the area I'll usually grab a DeLorme atlas for the state in question (MUCH more detailed than the highway map, not quite as detailed as the city map). I use the paper maps for figuring out major routes and turns and BCN to tell me where I am and where I need to go.

In the past (pre BCN) I've even been known to stop at a convenience store and purchase a local city map for a few bucks.

my 2 cents

I do the same thing. I am paperless, mostly, but its nice to have that printout. I would have saved me a lot the other day to park closer.

The first few times I loaded up the coordinates into the GPSr and set out without even looking at the maps first. Well, that didn't work in a hurry. Still using paper, I started using the wife's StreetPilot to get me near the cache then the old 12XL to find it. After about 100 finds and a couple of dead trees I played around with a few things then settled on GSAK and Cachemate. I'm running Cachemate on a Pocket PC that I already had. I upgraded to the 60CSx and bought the maps (City & Topo) for it so I don't need two GPS receivers anymore. No longer do I take paper with me, not even a paper map, but I do plan out my caching trips. I pick an area, check it out online with maps and satellite, pick the first one of the day, etc. I try to plan it so that I can use the Find Next feature of the 60CSx.

My daughter uses her iPhone and GPSr. She even logs her finds online from the cache site. She has full web browsing in her hand but, I think that the monthly price for that is way too expensive.

I went paperless a few years ago using a Palm 515m with CacheMate. I also have Delorme Street Atlas Handheld installed so I have access to a street level map of whichever area I'm heading into. Since I also have a Magellan Companion that attaches to the 515m, I can see exactly where I am on the Delorme map. If I plan on trying 5 or more caches in a single trip, I do print out a color aerial map from USAPhotMaps to give me a rough idea where I am (based upon my GPSr map), and where I need to go. There are also times where I'll simply plan a route looking at the aerial map on the computer, writing down the sequence of caches along a specific route. This way I can design not only my route, but also the level of difficulty I want to get into with the caches before I even leave the house.. (bushwacking, I make sure I wear Ivy proof clothes and boots; urban caches , I can wear shorts and sandals) My fall back is I always carry a Delorme Gazetteer state book and a compass in each of my vehicles.

My daughter uses her iPhone and GPSr. She even logs her finds online from the cache site. She has full web browsing in her hand but, I think that the monthly price for that is way too expensive.

The iPhone 3G is what got me hooked on geocaching, but now that I'm going on harder caches where there is mud and rocks, the iPhone is just far too valuable to risk getting wet or damaged in any way. I had a close call saturday when I got some wet wet mud right near my iphone pocket and nearly freaked out.

So on the weekend I got a waterproof Garmin 60Cx for caching. and a water tight sealed and heavily padded box to put the iphone in for emergency use only.

I use a 76csx with tropo and 2008 nt in it. Ipersonally never use the tropo and wished I had never bought it. I use a palm and cachemate for what clues I need. Have never printed a map for caching, no need to. The gps gets me to standing on top of it many times. When I get very close I turn off the navigation and go to the co-ords of the cache and there it is.

I no longer do this method because I bought a Garmin Nuvi, bit it works very well. There is a program for Palm PDA's called EarthComber. This is a completely free mapping program. You have to load individual counties of any given state, and the maps are very detailed. You can even load Geocache locations into it and see them on the map. They describe how to do that on their website. It is also a very useful program for other things than Geocaching. Look into it, you won't be disappointed.

Being in a non-urban area of central Ontario; I find the Topo Canada series with Mapsource to be invaluable (I use Topo US when there, and Europe 2008 when there). I preload the Map60CS directly from Mapsource on my pewter. I then use Cachemate on the HP Pocket PC, loading it directly from GSAK on the pewter.

So - in summary:

A Pocket Query from GC provides a 'GPX Zipped' to load into GSAK on the pewter, where I delete and prune the caches I'm not interested in.

Then GSAK 'exports' a .gdb file to Garmin's Mapsource, and also exports a revised 'GPX' file.

The revised GPX file is loaded into my HP packet PC, and the Mapsource file privides the chosen caches and relevant mapping for loading into the Map60CS.

Like others, I still use Mapsource to prepare a general paper map of the area for field reference.

This process has taken us to caches in 5 Canadian provinces, eleven US states, and five European countries to date.

I usually use google maps from gc.com to load caches. This way I have a rough idea where I need to go. I don't have any mapping or top programs yet. I know having them would help get closer to the cache. The problem is I am usually by myself so a printed map has limited use while I am driving. I know I waste time going in circles around blocks. That is why I like caching in parks. Park, Hike, find a couple caches.

Excuse me for butting in... I am curious this thing you say "Paperless...." What exactly is it... I know how to (write to device) with my 60 csx but is there more I can do with it? can more info about the cache be download to my 60 csx so I dont have to write clues and parking info and such...

thanks, still learning newbe

Edited by THEHIWAYMAN

Excuse me for butting in... I am curious this thing you say "Paperless...." What exactly is it... I know how to (write to device) with my 60 csx but is there more I can do with it? can more info about the cache be download to my 60 csx so I dont have to write clues and parking info and such...

thanks, still learning newbe

May be more info than you want but here it goes...

A little something I wrote on Paperless caching

Intro:

Have you heard of CacheMate? It is an $8 program for palm PDA's and handheld PC's. It comes with a little program that converts a pocket query into a palm .PDB file. All that means is that it will be compatible with your Palm PDA. I personally think this is the best way to go. It sounds a little complicated, but in reality, once you get started it only takes 7 mins to load 500 caches to my PDA and GPS.

Here I will go into detail on how to get started will CacheMate using a Palm PDA. First thing you do when you get your PDA is to setup the software that came with it. This is fairly self explanatory. After you have done this, go to www.smittyware.com then go the CacheMate link. Go through the process of purchasing it. then you should be able to download a .zip file (I can't remember if it comes in the email, or if you get it from the website). "unzip" this file then load the necessary files to your PDA. It will tell you which files to load inside the .zip file, so don't worry about knowing which ones to load. Okay, now that you have the program on your PDA, you can download a PQ to put into it. Go to the GC.com site and go through the PQ process, then make sure at the bottom of the PQ page that you have selected it to send you the .GPX version NOT the .LOC file. wait a few minutes and you should get an email with the results.

The PQ comes in a .zip file as well, so you need to unzip it. inside you will find to .GPX files, one with a string of numbers and one that has a string of numbers with a "wpts". For your first time, don't bother with the one that has the "wpts". Just delete it (you may find that you want to use it in the future, but that's just another thing to add to this, so don't mess with it). Now that you have that figured out, open your GPS managing program (either EasyGPS or GSAK) and load the .GPX file. Then send it to your GPS. Now don't delete that .GPX file yet. Open the program that came with CacheMate, it should be titled "CMConvert" and click (in the upperleft) "file", "load" then select the .GPX file. then highlight all of the below loaded caches and click "file", "export PDB". Name it what ever you like. Now hotsync that PDB file your PDA. Next time you turn oe your PDA and go into the program CacheMate, it will ask you to put that file into a category. And now you're done!

Tools:

I would suggest using EasyGPS to load Cache to your GPS and GSAK for specific filtering of caches. EasyGPS does not have a map at all, just caches, this may be a little wird but you don't really need one anyway, you only really need a map on GPS.

Here is some Q and A:

Q-How does the info open up on the palm, like a word doc? or pdf? Does it look just like the web page? are the hints unscrambled? What about the map?

A-The way that you view the cache sin CacheMate is simply a list of the caches. You can sort them by cache name or by the GCXXXX code. Once you have decided which to sort by you can find the cache you want to view in the list then jut click on it. A new screen will pop up with the name, GCXXXX, difficulty, terrain, type. Then a line break and the owner, size. Then another line break and the description. Another line break and the hint. Another line break and the first log and how ever many you choose when exporting the .PDB file earlier(I think that you can only go up to 5). You can choose for the hint to be scrambled or unscrambled, which ever you choose. Sadly, there are no maps that come with CacheMate, but you can get another Palm program called EarthComber (that one will need its own little thread) it is completely free and has very good detail.

Q-What is the max size of SD card supported? I searched on it and got 1 gig. Does that sound about right? I dont figure that the PQ will fit the on board memory.

A-You actually don't need to get one to do CacheMate. The exported .PDB file takes VERY little space. The max SD memory will very depending on which unit you get. My Tungsten T3 will take a gig, but the Tungsten TX will take 4. The older ones might not have any SD slot in the first place. Any Palm PDA can hold (on its internal memory) at least 5 PQ's. Chances are that they will hold more, that's 5000 cache records! More than anyone would ever need!

Q-Is there a way to change all my waypoint names to the actual names on my GPS instead of the code? It would be nice to see the cache name on the GPS instead of the code name.

A-For EasyGPS, simply open it then click "edit" and at the bottom select "preferences". A new little box will open up with a few different tabs one of which says "my GPS receivers", click on that one. Now you should see more buttons in this order "remove", "geocaching...", "settings", "add GPS". Click on "Geocaching..." and a new window will open. At the top you should see "waypoint:" with a drop down window next to it. Change the drop down from "geocache ID" to "geocache name". And now you are done. For GSAK, I have no clue . You will have to ask someone else

Q-Can I store (separate) pocket query's on my palm and just load them (within in the palm) one at a time? Right now when ever I load different pocket query's they just keep getting added in together. I did install a one gig SD card just to have it in there thinking that I could just load separate queries from there, but I can’t get it to work from there either.

A-Yes. You have to make a new waypoint database in the Palm before you import the data into the palm, open that database and it will create a separate file for those waypoints. (Depending on how you have your palm set up, it may also merge the waypoints into the default database, too).

Do you remeber BEVIS AND BUT HEAD??? "EEEEERRR HU HU HU" well thats me, not the most tecnolgically advanced... But IM GONNA TRY!!!

Has any one told you that you are an Over Achiever!!!

Im only kidding Im Kinda a smart a**

seriously, thank you for that info Tim

Well, there was a trech of a couple of weeks where the search button on the forums was not functional (sarcasm-sarcasm) in other words there were a butt-load of people asking the same thing: How do I do Peperless caching? And well, I just got sick typing the same thing over and over again. So I wrote this and now all I have to do is copy and paste it. Anyway hope you can get into it! It sure is a lot easier than trying to remember the descriptions before leaving the house.

Yeah I dont blame you I post on some other forums not related to GC'n and the amount of repeats is high but I cut em slack Cause I do the same thing sometimes...

As good as your answer was, still one question can I somehow get more info directly to my 60CSX or do I need a PDA or pilot thingy

Yeah I dont blame you I post on some other forums not related to GC'n and the amount of repeats is high but I cut em slack Cause I do the same thing sometimes...

As good as your answer was, still one question can I somehow get more info directly to my 60CSX or do I need a PDA or pilot thingy

I am not sure if you can load all of the details onto it or not. I do not own one so I have no clue. I can tell you that on the lower end units (such as th Garmin GPSmap60) can not hold much info. I have a feeling that your GPS holds the GCXXXX, name, and maybe the hint or difficulty. I would suggest doing a forum search on the topic or maybe asking the same question over in the GPS and Technology forum. Heck, there might already be a thread on the very topic over there...

I no longer do this method because I bought a Garmin Nuvi, bit it works very well. There is a program for Palm PDA's called EarthComber. This is a completely free mapping program. You have to load individual counties of any given state, and the maps are very detailed. You can even load Geocache locations into it and see them on the map. They describe how to do that on their website. It is also a very useful program for other things than Geocaching. Look into it, you won't be disappointed.

What kind of Palm were you using? It looks like it takes more than 10mb of memory to use it and many of the older PDA's don't have that much memory. I think mine has only 8mb.

You might want to print an overview map of the cache area for orientation. I have great maps on my 60

CSx, but a visual printed map keeps me in the area. When you are chasing caches, sometimes you end up in unfamiliar territory. Yes, even if you are paperless, print maps and even cache pages with all the info. My PDA gives me the "cache page" and all the info I need, but sometimes I want a visual cache page in hand to view. I 'm not a purist, I do what is comfortable for me. Happy trails.

What kind of Palm were you using? It looks like it takes more than 10mb of memory to use it and many of the older PDA's don't have that much memory. I think mine has only 8mb.

Oh, I didn't even think of that. I am using a Tungsten T3 which has about 50 Mb internal, but I am using about 10-15 for other stuff. So that might give you an idea of how much it uses.

I have a mapping GPS and simply look at the map on the screen.

Same here.. I have a Blackberry with blackberry maps and google maps.

CacheBerry will let you tag the caches in the planned area and view them in the maps. That way you can see which direction/route would be best to go..

I just wanted to note that Cacheberry is fantastic. The map feature puts it over the top.

I have a very old Sony Clie (Palm OS) that I absolutely love. The thing has been battered about for years, dropped numerous times on the trail, bashed on rocks, dropped in toilets and is a workhorse. I used GPXspinner and Plucker which was a bit of a process to figure out but I got used to it and the pages on my Clie looked just like the webpages. Unfortunately, I can't seem to sync it anymore with my old Windows XP and the Clie is no longer supported by Sony so I can't use it with Vista (which, by the way, I hate).

So, now I have an HP IPAQ with Windows and I can't say that I love this thing. It's way too fragile. I've already had to replace the LCD to the tune of $250. I've tried Cachemate on it and don't get the features that everyone who has Palm OS has with Cachemate. For example, as I read a cache listing I want it to give me the nearest caches from there. Instead, I have to switch back to my GPSr, find the nearest, then go back to the IPAQ and search by name.

So, for all of you out there...I have a question...any ideas on the best application to use with the IPAQ? I got used to Cachemate for a bit but it sure didn't give me as much info as my Clie/Palm system did. Is there another download for Cachemate that will allow me to use all the features? I'm not inclined to switch to GSAK mainly because I just don't want to learn another application being computer lazy and all.

So, for all of you out there...I have a question...any ideas on the best application to use with the IPAQ?

GPXSonar

I tried Cachemate for a while too and like you didn't really care for it. That reason might have been because I had used GPXSonar before and GPXSonar works so well. With GPXSonar you basically get the same looking cache page as you do when you look at the cache page on Geocaching.Com. It's simple to use and there's no spinning required to get your GPX (of even loc) files loaded. Just drop your GPX files into your IPAQ and you're ready to go.

The downside to GPXSonar? The owner has dropped out and no longer supports the software. He's left it and the source codes available if anyone would like to pick it up and continue with supporting it. I'm hoping someone will.

I use a Laptop in the truck running Topo 7 connected to Earthmate PN-20. I also have a Sprint Mogul HTC 6800 phone with internet/email capabilites gps etc. I can set the phone up for a wi-fi hotspot and then the laptop connects to it for internet. To resolve weak cell towers I have a cell phone amplifier connected to a high gain external antenna.

But even with technology I will sometimes print out a map showing what I plan to locate.

Edited by rambrush

So, for all of you out there...I have a question...any ideas on the best application to use with the IPAQ?

With GPXSonar you basically get the same looking cache page as you do when you look at the cache page on Geocaching.Com. It's simple to use and there's no spinning required to get your GPX (of even loc) files loaded. Just drop your GPX files into your IPAQ and you're ready to go.

The downside to GPXSonar? The owner has dropped out and no longer supports the software. He's left it and the source codes available if anyone would like to pick it up and continue with supporting it. I'm hoping someone will.

Wadcutter, I tried it and it sure is simple to use. One of the features I miss though is being able to see the nearest caches when you scroll to the end of the page. Can you search for nearest cache?

Thanks.

Wadcutter, I tried it and it sure is simple to use. One of the features I miss though is being able to see the nearest caches when you scroll to the end of the page. Can you search for nearest cache?

2 ways:

1) You can go to "list" at the bottom of the page and then click on "set center coords". You can make numerous reference points to set as center, ie, home, work, certain address, etc. We use that feature when we start out caching for the day as it puts the caches in order from our house, campsite, etc.

2) You can set as center point any of the caches listed and it will then list all the other caches from the closest to that cache to the farthest. To do that from the cache list hold your stylus on which ever cache you want to set as center until you see a red dotted circle appear and then immediately afterwards a window will pop up. The 3rd listing down is "Set As Center". Clicking on that will set that particular cache as center and all the other caches will be listed starting with the next closest. There is a column on the right side which shows the distance and bearing if you set those to show in your preferences.

As we move around finding caches we use #2 on the most recently found cache and the GPXSonar reconfigures our list for the next closest.

Edited by Wadcutter

Cannot get a GPX file to load on MS streets and trips. Bad format? how do you do it? Thanks!

For MS S&T I use GSAK. Under "File" is "Export". Go down the listing under "Export" and there will be MS S&T. Export your GPX file to someplace on your computer. That creates a data file that MS S&T can use. It will have a .cvs extension.

Open MS S&T. At the top of the page is "DATA". Click it and it will have a drop down with "Import Data Wizard". Click on that. That will open a Windows box. Find where you saved the exported file, click on it, and open it. That will open another box, click next which opens another box, click finish. After you get comfortable working with it you can tweak either items in either of those boxes. Once you click "finish" then it puts thumbtacks on the map showing the locations of the GPX file.

I transfer that map to my PDA using Pocket Streets.

Edited by Wadcutter

Cannot get a GPX file to load on MS streets and trips. Bad format? how do you do it? Thanks!

For MS S&T I use GSAK. Under "File" is "Export". Go down the listing under "Export" and there will be MS S&T. Export your GPX file to someplace on your computer. That creates a data file that MS S&T can use. It will have a .cvs extension.

Open MS S&T. At the top of the page is "DATA". Click it and it will have a drop down with "Import Data Wizard". Click on that. That will open a Windows box. Find where you saved the exported file, click on it, and open it. That will open another box, click next which opens another box, click finish. After you get comfortable working with it you can tweak either items in either of those boxes. Once you click "finish" then it puts thumbtacks on the map showing the locations of the GPX file.

Thanks Wadcutter!!! This will be a big help from push pins one at a time!!!!! I'm old and slow so this will give me more time for cacheing.

I guess I'm kind of old school too in that I'm using really basic stuff for now. I'm only doing caches in areas that I'm really familiar with so I know where they are just by looking at the little map in the cache. Last weekend I went out and did 4 by myself so I used a tiny white board kind of thing that I got free from my insurance agent and planned my stops to be most fuel-efficient. I wrote the name of each cache as listed on the site, then the name I gave it in my GPS (cuz I only have 10 char in my GPS so the names never match), the location (corner of x and x or Halmich Park) and then more details such as northwest corner of park by tennis courts. Then I just wiped them off the board as I finished them and came home and logged them. I suppose that if I was caching on vacation or in an unfamiliar area I'd print off maps and directions but for now this basic thing is working for me. Maybe someday I'll get into downloading more detail.

Edited by Buggheart

Thanks Wadcutter!!! This will be a big help from push pins one at a time!!!!! I'm old and slow so this will give me more time for cacheing.

Me too. I got tired of going thru print cartridges and wasting paper so I finally sat down and figured out how to get my caches over to MS S&T. I will admit that being self taught that it always didn't work for me and for the first few times I had to relearn what I had done. It got easier.

If you don't like the push pins on S&T here's a way you can change them to something more readable. Left click once on any of the push pins. That will put a small box around the push pin. Now go back up to the top line and click on "DATA". The window will drop down. The very last item is "Data Set Properties". Clicking on that will give you the option of tweaking. On the right side is "Symbol". Click on that and a window will drop down showing a bunch of different icons you can select to replace the push pin icon.

With MS S&T also comes Pocket Streets for a PDA. Once you have the caches showing on MS S&T you can export that map to your PDA. To do that size the map to whatever you desire. If you get it too big it will tell you to make it smaller. Once you get the size you want then click on "File" at the top of the page. A window will drop down and near the bottom of that listing will be "Export Map for Pocket Streets". Click that and it will tell you the size of the map you've selected. If that's OK then click "OK" and it will take you to a window where you can name it/save it to file. Once you've saved it to file then you just need to synch your PDA to your computer and drag and drop that map file on your PDA. Then you'll have the map and the caches on your PDA. No more paper.

I still carry a notebook for making my log entries as it's easier and quicker for us to write them on paper than do it on the PDA.