Non-Cacher logs find

Jeepster++

April 26 by ???? (1 found)

????? found cache during recent search washed out. Picked it up, brought it home, and it sat in driveway till today. Being returned by two burn-out dirt bikers who have no idea how to use a GPS. Good luck finding this one again!!

Cache was found Nov 06 then it went missing, replaced by CO in Jul 07.

This log is on Apr 26, 08.

We found what we think is the cache replaced by the CO the next day.

At least they tried to make it good.

This non-cacher stumbles on a cache, makes a trade, then moves the cache to a new location before logging his find online.

I've seen non-cachers write in log books before but this takes the cake. GCMVE1

Seen any other logs like this?

I've never seen anything like that but as the person wrote in the log, they didn't know anything about geocaching and thus probably thought that cache was *supposed* to be rehidden elsewhere.

I would have thought that a cache that has been around as long as this one would have a stash note but that doesn't mean that someone finding the cache would read it, and if they did, that it was clear that the cache should be replaced in the same location as found. In any case, the incident is a good example of the importance of including a good, legible stash note in every cache.

I *have* read quite a few logs in caches from non-geocachers and usually enjoy them. More often than not they'll express an interest in what they found and indicate that it's something the might want to try and do again. I found a bunch of caches awhile back in an area that was patrolled by a NY DEC officer and she left here card in each of the caches. We met her on the trail later and talked a bit and she said that although she's not really a geocacher she keeps track of what caches are her area and checks on them from time to time.

Have seen the same happening close to my area.

Muggels found a large cache and had heard about geocaching in the news. They only remembered that geocaching was about hiding and finding and so they did.

In this case the owner had posted a phone number on the cache, so the muggels left a voice mail explaining the new location.

The benefit for the owner was that he could log a find on his own cache!

????? found cache during recent search washed out. Picked it up, brought it home, and it sat in driveway till today. Being returned by two burn-out dirt bikers who have no idea how to use a GPS. Good luck finding this one again!!

It sounds to me that the finder may be saying that found the cache out in the open, that it had been washed out of its original hiding spot, and thus, not knowing exactly where to place it again, it seems that they took it home for a bit before attempting to replace it in the general area. And, even if they HAD moved in intentionally, well, they knew nothing about geocaching at the time of their find, and may likely have assumed -- as others have noted -- that they were supposed to move it and re-hide it.

This non-cacher stumbles on a cache, makes a trade, then moves the cache to a new location before logging his find online.

I've never seen anything like that but as the person wrote in the log, they didn't know anything about geocaching and thus probably thought that cache was *supposed* to be rehidden elsewhere.

I would have thought that a cache that has been around as long as this one would have a stash note but that doesn't mean that someone finding the cache would read it, and if they did, that it was clear that the cache should be replaced in the same location as found. In any case, the incident is a good example of the importance of including a good, legible stash note in every cache.

I *have* read quite a few logs in caches from non-geocachers and usually enjoy them. More often than not they'll express an interest in what they found and indicate that it's something the might want to try and do again. I found a bunch of caches awhile back in an area that was patrolled by a NY DEC officer and she left here card in each of the caches. We met her on the trail later and talked a bit and she said that although she's not really a geocacher she keeps track of what caches are her area and checks on them from time to time.

If I where a cop I too would regularly check on easy to get to caches of notable size. The dropping of a card would let criminals know it's not a safe way to do exchanges.

I know it ain't the smartest way to make an exchange but think about the guy that robbed a McNasties and they told him they couldn't open the registers unless he bought something :( and he payed for it with his own debit card.. :D

Crazy.

Makes you wonder how many other muggles do the same thing but just never figure out how to log it online?

Huh? :D

What are you quoting? Nothing like that in this thread or in the originally mentioned cache. :(

It sounds to me that the finder may be saying that found the cache out in the open, that it had been washed out of its original hiding spot, and thus, not knowing exactly where to place it again, it seems that they took it home for a bit before attempting to replace it in the general area. And, even if they HAD moved in intentionally, well, they knew nothing about geocaching at the time of their find, and may likely have assumed -- as others have noted -- that they were supposed to move it and re-hide it.

This could be what happened. The cache was in a crevice about 10 feet up a rock face, you had to stand on a boulder to get it. (Impossible to wash out, but someone else could have muggled it and left it on the ground.) I did see it about 30 feet away after backing off a bit. I think the guys just saw an ammo can and it looked neat so they took it. They did bring it back, although no one has found it yet. Lots of "what-ifs" here.

Huh? :D

What are you quoting? Nothing like that in this thread or in the originally mentioned cache. :D

Well, the OP DID ask if anyone has seen any logs like this, and they were giving an example of one. :D:(:(

Huh?

What are you quoting? Nothing like that in this thread or in the originally mentioned cache.

The quote is from the online posting just prior to our finding a local cache.

Let's see - muggle picks up cache, makes trade and then moves cache. I can't vouch for the trade because the original cache is nearby, but unfound. Otherwise, it seemed to add to the conversation. Sorry if I missed the point of this thread - it's happened before.

Two thoughts.

1. It could be someone messing around.

2. A legitimate find where the person didn't realize they weren't supposed to move it until they got home and logged into GC.

Whenever we encounter muggles that show an interest in what we're doing, one of the first things they ask is, "So do you take the container after you find it?"

It's fairly common. For some reason some muggles think you take the cache, log the find, then hide it in a new spot for the next guy. They think they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

I've seen one muggle (FTF even) take a cache at the base of a falls. You can only get there via boat, (and you have to port the boat) or hike. The hike is a brutal rock hopping hike of a couple of miles. He took the cache, moved it to a new spot, described the spot and logged it. Another local cacher who was on his way to being a local legend but not quite there yet at this time, read the guys log, made the hike, found the cache and put it back, helping him reach his legendary status.

I've seen non-cachers write in log books before but this takes the cake. Seen any other logs like this?

This person supposedly did this, then was knowledgable and considerate enough to take the time to create an account on GC, knew how to get to the cache page, figured out how to log a find, and doesn't email the owner with more specific information on where they hid it back to??? :D I think I'd cry shenanigans with that one, someone's F'in with the owner. And there is no info if the owner has gone out to check and see if it's actually missing, sounds like it was disabled just from the log entry which could of been armchair for all anyone knows.

Not sure about this hide, but when we HIDE a new cache we don't HAVE a GC code number until after it's approved so the code number would not be listed in the container ANYWHERE. So when they got onto the GC site, HOW did they know what the cache was???? Searching by name isn't the easiest thing to do as they would have to do an advanced search.

Yeah, sounds like shenanigans....

Edited by infiniteMPG
when we HIDE a new cache we don't HAVE a GC code number until after it's approved so the code number would not be listed in the container ANYWHERE.

Not true. I had a container that I made with the GC number on it. You get the number as soon as you get the cache page to edit, you don't have to wait for approval.

when we HIDE a new cache we don't HAVE a GC code number until after it's approved so the code number would not be listed in the container ANYWHERE.

Not true. I had a container that I made with the GC number on it. You get the number as soon as you get the cache page to edit, you don't have to wait for approval.

Doesn't your thesaurus say 'submitted' under the entry for 'approved'?

You say tomato...

michelle

Well... You did have this on the page: Please take an extra minute to Re-Hide the cache as well or better than you found it.

No really.. I haven't seen any notes like this before but I have seen several caches that had been found and logged by muggled but very few where the finder would go the distance to create an account and notify the owner like yours did.

What I see much more often is a note of curiosity in a cache. Sometimes, I've seen nasty notes from punks or obscenities. Just a couple of months ago though I was searching for a new cache that had replaced another archived cache in the area and I actually stumbled upon the missing archived cache completely intact with a coin and a TB some 100 feet from the previous location.

Surely it happens.

I've seen non-cachers write in log books before but this takes the cake. Seen any other logs like this?

Not sure about this hide, but when we HIDE a new cache we don't HAVE a GC code number until after it's approved so the code number would not be listed in the container ANYWHERE. So when they got onto the GC site, HOW did they know what the cache was???? Searching by name isn't the easiest thing to do as they would have to do an advanced search.

Since all caches are supposed to have the GC code on them, and since this cache in question had been around for years before this bizarre muggling, I would assume that the container had the GC code on it somewhere.

You say tomato...

michelle

I heard that in Geocaching.com Version 2 we'll be issued a GC number as soon as we think of an idea for a cache, we don't even have to wait until we get online.

We'll know after Tuesday when Version 2 is released!!!!

(I don't even like tomatoes)

You say tomato...

michelle

I heard that in Geocaching.com Version 2 we'll be issued a GC number as soon as we think of an idea for a cache, we don't even have to wait until we get online.

Well, howabout to-mah-toes then?

No?

Tomatillos?

Hmph.

I'm thinking of a GC number and it starts with a GC. Can you guess what it is?

michelle

You say tomato...

michelle

Well, howabout to-mah-toes then?

No?

Tomatillos?

Hmph.

I'm thinking of a GC number and it starts with a GC. Can you guess what it is?

michelle

Sure would be nice if it were GC1169.