Explorist 600 Battery problem.

Apparently had some problems with the post so here goes again.

Have an explorist 600 that I haven't used yet. Just got a battery off ebay, and the unit won't work with it. Need to figure out it the battery is junk or if my unit isn't charging it. The explorist works fine off external power. So here are my questions.

1.) which gold terminals on the battery should I put a voltmeter on? (reference with the tab closest to the (+) mark being 1 and continue 2, 3, with 4 being the tab closest to the (-) sign). I put the (+) terminal and the (-) terminal from the voltmeter on the tabs closest to the (+) and (-) terminals and got nothing. I don't own or use a voltmeter, I am borrowing my neighbors.

2.) With the unit plugged into AC power and face down, numbering the terminals on the bottom of the unit 1-4 left to right which terminals should have voltage and how much? terminals 1 and 2 gave me 5 volts is that right?

Thanks for the help.

First, make sure on the VOM the red cable is plugged into the hole that is marked: V/Omega (Ohm symbol.) Black cable is plugged into the hole marked: Com.

Move control to VDC.

Test your meter on a AA battery and it should show about 1.6V when new.

With your red to positive, black to negative, on the two end terminals, you should see voltage. About +4.1VDC when fully charged, under 3.6V when it needs a charge. If you see 0 voltage, the battery is bad. Li-Ion rechargeable batteries have a safety fuse when shorted or overcharged, and they cannot be recovered.

For charging, plug the charger in the "Y" in the data cable. If you do not have this charger, you can use USB port. I believe you want to reverse the connection on the back of the unit (going up not down the unit.) You will not see voltage on the terminals on he back of the unit because it is diode protected. I think you are asking about the voltage coming out of the cable, which should be about 5VDC.

You will not see voltage on the terminals on he back of the unit because it is diode protected. I think you are asking about the voltage coming out of the cable, which should be about 5VDC.

I'm referring to the terminals on the unit where the battery would make contact. I have the unit plugged into AC power with the cable connected normally(wire running down the back). With the unit face down and the battery terminals closest to me terminals 1 and 2 give me about 5 volts. Just wondering if those are the two that charge the battery. If so I think the 5 volts is about right, and the battery is just toast.