project on a garmin

wissels

Hi,

Last weekend we did a cache that required us to project a waypoint.

the projection was 683,3m away.

But when I tried to enter that distance on my garmin etrex H I could only set 0,6 or 0,7km

Is there a way to change the km setting to m?

Cheers,

wissels

Hi,

But when I tried to enter that distance on my garmin etrex H I could only set 0,6 or 0,7km

Cheers,

wissels

Hi,

my experience is from using the Etrex Venture cx and the 60 cx, but I suppose it should work the same way with the Etrex H series: with the "rocker", you can move the cursor to the field with the units (e.g. "km"). By pressing "Enter", you open up a dropdown-menue where you can choose from a number of different units, including meters. Then just enter "600" for 0.6km. Now, what is really missing is a way to project in smaller direction increments than 1 deg...

Hope that helps,

Dominik

Hi,

Cheers,

wissels

Hi,

my experience is from using the Etrex Venture cx and the 60 cx, but I suppose it should work the same way with the Etrex H series: with the "rocker", you can move the cursor to the field with the units (e.g. "km"). By pressing "Enter", you open up a dropdown-menue where you can choose from a number of different units, including meters. Then just enter "600" for 0.6km. Now, what is really missing is a way to project in smaller direction increments than 1 deg...

Hope that helps,

Dominik

hmm I tried to select the km as that seemed like the obvious way to do it, but it jumps right over it to the "OK" button on the bottom of the page...

Could this be a limitation of the etrex H over the more expensive models?

If that's true, have I found a reason to upgrade to a legend HCx? ;-)

More expensive Garmin units allow you to change the field, as Dominink1507 indicates. For units without this functionality, you can always "reverse project." To do that, tell the unit to GOTO the point that you are projecting from. Then start walking 180° from the direction that you were told to project the waypoint (i.e., if the direction is 180 or less, add 180. If it is more than 180, subtract 180). Keep walking until the unit shows that you are 683,3 meters away at a bearing of the computed direction. You should be standing on the spot!