Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
wd9n

Radio Net

So, we have established that some geocachers are hams and some hams are geocachers. Now, can we establish a frequency and time and try to get a net up and running, or at least a frequency we could all keep an ear out for other cachers?

I am thinking a less than formal net, just a place to park the dial and chat while driving between cashes or when it is too cold, rainy, hot, or nasty to be out geocaching.

If you know of any groups on the air, please post a frequency.

David, W9DSC

So, we have established that some geocachers are hams and some hams are geocachers. Now, can we establish a frequency and time and try to get a net up and running, or at least a frequency we could all keep an ear out for other cachers?

I am thinking a less than formal net, just a place to park the dial and chat while driving between cashes or when it is too cold, rainy, hot, or nasty to be out geocaching.

If you know of any groups on the air, please post a frequency.

David, W9DSC

A caching frequency has been has been discussed but nothing could be agreed on, although 147.555 was tossed around quite a bit.

As for a net, there was once an Echolink node up for a bit, but seemed to die due to lack of interest.

Echo Link

Hope you have better luck than some others in the past with this.

Shawn

VE6TEQ

I know how that goes. I tried getting a local ham group together. We did good for a bit, but slowly died out until we just stopped meeting.

The 2m is OK for local stuff, but I was thinking HF-20m or 40m, something to cover a little more area when traveling. The 2m will cover some of the skip zone before 20 or 40 would be usefull.

I am currently in the middle of putting a business together at my home, so I don't have any gear running there. I did move the 706MKIIG to the truck. That is what made me ask if there was an established frequency.

I have played with Echolink, it is OK, but doesn't seem like radioing to me. Still cool though.

I'll bet some of the APRS guys love this geocaching.

I know how that goes. I tried getting a local ham group together. We did good for a bit, but slowly died out until we just stopped meeting.

The 2m is OK for local stuff, but I was thinking HF-20m or 40m, something to cover a little more area when traveling. The 2m will cover some of the skip zone before 20 or 40 would be usefull.

I am currently in the middle of putting a business together at my home, so I don't have any gear running there. I did move the 706MKIIG to the truck. That is what made me ask if there was an established frequency.

I have played with Echolink, it is OK, but doesn't seem like radioing to me. Still cool though.

I'll bet some of the APRS guys love this geocaching.

I believe there is only a couple of hams in my area that cache. Industry Canada(your FCC) shows almost 200 licensed amateurs within 50 miles of the home qth, but I imagine only 20 or so actually active, and 5 or 6 with aprs. Even I haven't fired up the HF rig in quite some time. Oh well, with a bit of luck maybe enough interest will show up on the boards to get something going.

Shawn