First GPS

JClift33

Hey i was hoping for some advice for picking out my first GPS.

Any recommendations?

Something from the Garmin H series, with your final choice based on your preference for features and price. Unless you are content with a very basic model, I'd recommend against the eTrexH. There is nothing wrong with the unit, but the cable is an extra and the cable attaches to a serial port rather than USB.

I have an eTrexH and quite like it... the cable thing is an issue $$$ wise, but I hit up ebay and got what I needed for a little under $15 I think. Now I'm in business! :D Perfect for simple geocaching, but if I keep up with back country mountain biking etc, I may go for one with more mapping etc...

We are also new GeoCachers and this morning we ordered the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.

We liked the expandable memory through disks and the USB cable is included in the box. We hemmed and hawed between this version and the Vista but finally decided we didn't need the compass. Someone mentioned the electronic compass is a battery suck, so that turned us off. We figured we could buy one of those little auto compasses if we find we need one.

Good luck with your decision!

I have the Vista HCx and like it very much. I have both City Navigator and Mapsource Topo maps installed on it. I also use Garmin's POI Loader to put almost 9,000 Custom POIs on the GPSr. These include Benchmarks as well as the Unfound caches, my Owned caches, and all the caches I have Found, divided up by those that are Archived, and those that are still Active.