Friends and Family who just don't get it.......

mailgirl1978

I found this hobby a couple weeks ago and I am now hooked!

(along with my 10 year old daughter)

My hubby and friends, however, are not so enthused.

Do any of you come across these "types" who are like, "What's the point?"

I just hate to go trekking through the woods alone but have figured out a nongeocacher is going to ruin all the fun!!!

I guess I need to just show up at one of the events and befriend someone who shares my passion in geocaching!!!

How do ya'll deal with this??? :huh:

I'm a mom, too, and just the fact they you and your daughter are doing a fun thing together should be enough...poopoo on those that are critical of you. When I first started I emailed someone who had planted alot of caches and she took me under her wing....now I've got some really nice new friends!! You go girl!!!!

Sure...there are plenty of people who don't get the point. For you, it's getting outside and having some fun with your daughter. What more point do you need?

If your hubby won't go, then just enjoy the mother/daughter time. Of course, you could always invite him to go for a walk with the two of you...who cares if he's not into finding trinkets in the woods on that walk?

Well we do have a 3 year old son....and he is 120% boy....someone has to stay home with him! :huh:)

I've took him on a few of the easier ones but I couldn't imagine chasing him through the woods..... :)

Even though my hubby "doesn't get it" he would go with me because I wanted him to...but it's just not the same as someone who is just as eager to find the cache...ya know what I mean?

I found this hobby a couple weeks ago and I am now hooked!

(along with my 10 year old daughter)

My hubby and friends, however, are not so enthused.

I just hate to go trekking through the woods alone but have figured out a nongeocacher is going to ruin all the fun!!!

I guess I need to just show up at one of the events and befriend someone who shares my passion in geocaching!!!

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that is as nuts as I am. Trust me, most people just don't get it.

...Do any of you come across these "types" who are like, "What's the point?"...

...show up at one of the events and befriend someone who shares my passion in geocaching!!!

Any activity that your children enjoy doing with you is great!

See if there is a geocaching club in your area. The one I'm in here often has a get together (it's published as an event) at a local restaurant - easy to meet fellow cachers there. Search your local zip code and see what events may be planned.

Quite a few people don't get it. They just shrug it off and say, "Well, whatever." Fine, each to his own. A couple have kept irritatingly going on and on how stupid they thought it was. I finally thanked them for paying their taxes because their taxes made possible the 100 billion dollar satellite system that allows me to find Tupperware in the woods. They shut up after that.

Well we do have a 3 year old son....and he is 120% boy....someone has to stay home with him! :))

I've took him on a few of the easier ones but I couldn't imagine chasing him through the woods..... :blink:

Even though my hubby "doesn't get it" he would go with me because I wanted him to...but it's just not the same as someone who is just as eager to find the cache...ya know what I mean?

Take the boy too!!! My daughter was 4 when we started geocaching and she loved every minute out in the woods. My youngest made her first cache trip on a night cache at a month old and she's gone out with us for the urban and walks in the woods now that she's up and on her own (not quite 2).

When I first heard about geocaching, I wanted to go right out and get a GPSr. My husband thought it was a nutty idea. It took several months and lots of poking and prodding and urging to talk him into trying it.

Now, he wants to cache ALL the time!

So even some people who look at you like you've lost your mind may, in the future, become just as addicted as the rest of us. :blink:

Do your best sales pitch to get some of these nay-sayers to accompany you on a cache or two. When you're done, they may still think "what's the point?" but you might be lucky enough to find that they get hooked.

We cached for about a year and my mom thought we were nuts. She just didn't understand why we liked geocaching. But then she went with us one day and now she's Lady Bug 61 - finding and hiding geocaches every chance she gets.

I started doing this back in May with my wifes vehicle GPS, (Don't recommend this) and was addicted first time out.

We are half and half, Wife and eldest daughter don't much care for it but will come along; my youngest and myself are always itching to go.

My wife and eldest are showing more enthusiasm as they do more, and also really enjoy the family outings so win-win.

As long as you are not forcing anyone at gun point it is a great way to get outdoors. :blink:

- G

I would definitely look into seeing if there is a local group from where you are from.... or hit the next event and meet some cachers. It is nice to meet people with the same interest and like others said most will take you under their wing and cache with you...I do this in both NC - ncgeocachers.org and PA - trigocaching.org both have very active groups....met a lot of great people to cache with...

When I moved to NC in October...I posted on here and someone posted the ncgeocachers.org and I joined but I Also went to the next weekend event and cached with some local cachers right after the event...

Just pick a hobby of theirs, and turn the tables.

If they golf, say "You poke a ball with a stick and then go running after it? Over and over and over again? What's the point?"

Or if they like to watch NASCAR, say "You watch traffic go around in circles? For hours? Why??"

I'm sure you could come up with similar things that make their most cherished hobbies or activities sound just as silly as they think geocaching is. :D

Hubby will go along with my just to make me happy. It's not that he dislikes caching, but he's ok with not going either. I took my mom along one day, having picked out 5 that I thought she would enjoy. 2 traditionals that were pretty much park & grabs (not micros tho). The other 3 were virtuals. On one of the virtuals we drove around the block 3 times looking for what we thought would be an obvious building. We got a peek down the alley & both gasped in surprise. I told her "THAT" was what caching was about - that "aha" moment when you discover something that somebody somewhere set up for you to find. She decided then & there that she liked caching. I don't see her ever treking through the woods anytime soon, but she'll happily do the easier ones with me. Maybe you need to drag your family along & let them "discover" the cache themselves & see if they "get it"!

Take the young one. You will be surprised. Our youngest was 3 when we started caching. We took her on all of them. We never carried her, walking was expected. Now she is six. She surprises us when we drive by caches we have found in the past and she tells us all about the hunt, she has better trail and geo sense than I do and can hike over 10 kilometres (Canadian miles, lol) without a complaint.

I'm only 15 and enjoy caching. none of my friends do and neither do my mom and dad. I have to do it on my own which is a pain in the butt.

is there any way of meeting up with people of my own age to go caching together.

Be careful! This is the internet and you need to treat it as such. Take all the precautions including informing your parent(s) what you are doing and NEVER going to meet ANYONE that you meet on line without them.

Maybe have your parents take you to a local caching event and who knows, maybe they will see what all the fuss is about and join in. Some times it only takes a little exposure to hook someone into this sport. :(

The only person I know who doesn't seem to get it is my brother-in-law.

But let me explain the irony.

He won't participate because this game is, and I quote, a "girly" activity.

Yes. Because hiking, bushwhacking, survival knowledge and being outdoors is inherently "girly"?

This from a guy who takes more time primping and grooming in the bathroom than my sister and I combined. :(

Let's get real, bud. You don't want to get dirty. It's okay to admit it!

I'm only 15 and enjoy caching. none of my friends do and neither do my mom and dad. I have to do it on my own which is a pain in the butt.

We've only been caching a few months, and we're 17. I'm always thinking to myself how the hobby wouldn't be possible if we were younger, and unable to drive. There are only a handful of caches in our immediate area, and I don't think I could manage to get a bus everytime I wanted to go caching.

I think to be able to get the most out of caching, you either need to be able to drive yourself, or have parents or close family that cache with you.