Ever feel like you are doing something wrong?

ssgeo83

When I go out caching, I get nervous. I feel like I'm doing something wrong and going to get caught.

One example is this. There is a cache next at city hall. There is a grassy area with benches and a gazebo for the public. One of my family members found it a few months ago so she decided to show me where it was located after I couldn't find it. She showed me the bush where the cache was located. So here I am spreading the small bush open, then getting down on my knees to look underneath the bush. I could not find it and I am going to the next bush and looking through it.

Another cache is behind "welcome to (city)" sign with lanscaping around the sign. This is located next to a highway. I have yet to attempt to find this and will probably go to it soon.

It just feels like I am doing something that would look suspicious.

I tend to feel weird when I go caching by myself anytime a cache is located near a playground/park where there are children present. Being a younger male out walking around by himself by children I'm sure makes some parents uncomfortable, and cant say that I blame them. If I get close to a cache and see that its pretty close to a play area where children are present, I'll come back later. Or if its far enough away I'll take the long way around to hopefully stay out of the watchful eyes of parents.

I used to feel that way. I thought that people would, at times assume that I was up to no good and I honestly didn't want people to treat me with suspicion.

I finally decided that line of thinking wasn't allowing me to enjoy caching and when it really came down to it, I was not doing anything wrong. So I stopped worrying about it. It was that simple.

There are still times people question me and I now see that as an opportunity to enlighten and share the sport.

Of course sometimes if someone is watching me with just a little too much interest I'll move along so as not to jeopardize the hide by revealing it to the non-caching public.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I stay away from Play grounds where there are people and kids...I'vd had parents be afraid and tell me to leave when they see I am carrying something looking in bushs near them.

Because of the terrorism stuff, I will usually skip the Caches stuck to High Power Towers and Transformer Boxs.

Otherwise, I'll play it as I see it...and I have driven by caches that were just a few yards away because the location could make you look suspicious...like looking through bushs next to a business or house.

I've had nighbors come out and ask what I was doing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I've had the police called on me at night in a park:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b7-a71955138a4c

Yep, I've skipped several because it just didn't look right.

The latest cache near me is a multi where two stages are hidden in a housing tract, on the Community mail box. (I called a previous finder, and he confirmed the hiding spot). I quit before I ever left my car. There is something about tampering with a mail box, in full view of twenty houses that does not entertain me.

I emailed the kid who hid the cache, but based on the rest of his hides, I doubt he will change anything.

95% of my caches are hidden in areas where you don't look suspicious, or muggles are non-existant.

When I go out caching, I get nervous. I feel like I'm doing something wrong and going to get caught.

No, because when I encounter those caches usually get back into my car and move on to the next one.

Yes, there are certainly cache placements that could arouse suspicion but that is a rational assessment rather than an emotional one. If you feel bad/guilty then you end up not enjoying going out to explore new locations.

Sometimes I'll see a location and decide that this hunt would go better if I brought my kids along with me. It's all in the approach.

There is a big difference between hiding what you’re doing (or camouflaging your behavior) in order to preserve the secret of a public cache container, versus hiding what you’re doing (or camouflaging your behavior) because you are doing something illegal.

Part of the challenge of some caches is completing the find without arousing public suspicion. If that’s not something you would find exciting or enjoyable, then consider skipping those hides.

Keep in mind that your behavior when seeking a cache is your responsibility alone. Anytime you begin to feel uncomfortable, remind yourself that no cache find is ever mandatory.

There is a big difference between hiding what you’re doing (or camouflaging your behavior) in order to preserve the secret of a public cache container, versus hiding what you’re doing (or camouflaging your behavior) because you are doing something illegal.

Part of the challenge of some caches is completing the find without arousing public suspicion. If that’s not something you would find exciting or enjoyable, then consider skipping those hides.

Keep in mind that your behavior when seeking a cache is your responsibility alone. Anytime you begin to feel uncomfortable, remind yourself that no cache find is ever mandatory.

Everytime I read this type of reasoning, I think of this article by geocacher W6DPS :

What would you think?

The hobby of geocaching is quite unusual when compared to most leisure activities. It relies on annonymity and discretion--stealth even.

It relies even more on being able to hide geocaches on other people's property for our colleagues to find. Geocaching cannot exist without discretely placing geocaches where others can find them. This usually means on property we don't own, either public or private. Let's think about how our hobby looks to others.

Pretend for a moment that you are a normal person.

You look out your window toward a greenbelt in your neighborhood and see a stranger lurking about with a strange device, obviously trying hard not to be noticed. Then you see several other strangers doing the same thing over the course of a weekend. You might even spot them looking for something hidden, or hanging around for a few minutes and then hiding something before leaving.

What would you think? You find yourself overlooking an open area near a train station, or even an airport. A stranger comes to the area, and furtively walks around with a strange device (looks like some kind of homing system or remote detonator like they use in spy movies!). He stops for a while, repeatedly pushing buttons on the device. He then gets an olive drab container with military markings out of his car and hides it! The whole time he has obviously been on the lookout for anyone watching him, and generally looked very sneaky!

What would you think? Suppose you happen to notice a lot of folks showing up, for no reason that you can think of, behind the local convenience store. They seem to crawl around on the ground for a while, feel there way around trash containers and electrical boxes until they find a small container. They surrepticiously take this container a short distance away, all the while looking around to see if they are being watched. They rifle through the contents before, just as secretively, returning the container where they found it and then making a quick getaway!

What would you think? Okay, enough trying to think normally!

Let's think like a geocacher planning a cache hide (much easier than thinking normally for many of us). The importance of considering appearances is growing by the day. We need to consider how unusual activity at our cache location looks to observers who know nothing about geocaching. In today's society, most of us recognize that there can only be a limited number of responses by various bomb squads before they start comparing notes and decide that geocaching is a waste of resources and/or a potential cover for other covert activities. If communities begin to consider geocaching in this light, it would be easy for them to decide it should simply be banned. So how do we keep from bringing geocaching to the attention of regulatory bodies who may feel the need to help us keep things from looking bad? By behaving responsibly, and encouraging our fellow geocachers to do the same. Start by always following the spirit of the geocaching.com submission guidelines. This includes getting permission BEFORE placing a geocache, where appropriate. Most of the folks I have approached and discussed geocaching with have been happy to allow geocaches to be placed on property they administer. Obviously, the cache must be placed in an appropriate area, and designed to not cause conflicts or difficulties. If you have communicated with the property manager or owner, it should reduce the likelihood of calls to the police. Be prepared to take "NO" a an answer! There are plenty of places to hide a geocache in southern California. For a bit more information on selecting a cache location, please read: "Ready to Hide Your First Geocache?" We should all encourage other geocachers to place responsible caches. If you find a geocache that you think may draw unwanted attention or is in an area that is questionable for geocaches, you should contact the cache owner and explain your feelings. They may not be receptive, but you will have done your part. A diplomatically worded email could draw their attention to something they may not have considered. We shouldn't have to form the "cache police", but we do need to encourage each other to behave responsibly. If we continue to have bomb squads respond to geocaches, we will draw even more attention of a type we don't want. I am not trying to re-ruffle feathers or salt any recent wounds, but this is a topic we have to discuss openly for our hobby to survive! A bit of background about why I am concerned about where geocaches are being hidden, and why I think we all should be: "Phone Home" at DL 'Pinched'

Bomb squad blows up geocache in Tustin, Ca

Bomb vs. Geocache, the eternal strugle

Caching on Campus

Putting cachers in HARMS WAY!

Geocaches on Private Property

Bomb Squad explodes my Vista del Mar Park Cache

Ammo boxes, bomb squads, and you the cacher.

One example is this. There is a cache next at city hall. There is a grassy area with benches and a gazebo for the public. One of my family members found it a few months ago so she decided to show me where it was located after I couldn't find it. She showed me the bush where the cache was located. So here I am spreading the small bush open, then getting down on my knees to look underneath the bush. I could not find it and I am going to the next bush and looking through it.

Another cache is behind "welcome to (city)" sign with lanscaping around the sign. This is located next to a highway. I have yet to attempt to find this and will probably go to it soon.

Carry a clipboard with you as I do, in some cases I also wear a white hardhat. White for supervisor and any other color is blue collar workers. Something intimidating about a clipboard and or hardhat, you walk into an area with a lot of people when you turn around your all by yourself, most everyone is gone.

The fact of the matter is, to make a large and sweeping statement, our sport is a suspicious one. Hiding things is, by nature, a secretive act, and looking for hidden things is as well. Geocaching is always going to rouse someone's suspicions. I don't think we can avoid this.

It's our duty, then, as geocachers, to always be aware of how we are representing the sport, and to minimize what suspicions we do raise. This makes the game more enjoyable for everyone-- for hiders who don't have to worry about losing their caches, for seekers who have to worry less about being viewed as shady characters, and for non-players who don't feel threatened by the game and its players.

Of course, since everyone reacts to things differently, there is no surefire way to minimize suspicion. However, off the top of my head, here are some things that should, for the most part, work. (Of course, this has all been said before, but I figure it's a good time and place to bring it up again.)

My list, of course, is about the size of a small novel.

When hiding:

• Choose your container well. As has been said over and over again (because it's a prime example), ammo cans are terrible for urban caches. They look military, and there's no way to see what's inside without opening them. Those two factors alone make them very suspicious to an outsider's eyes. Clear containers and small containers are inherently less suspicious. Of course, ammo cans have their places-- out where fewer people will see them, where drawing outsider concern is less of an issue.
  • Think about your location. There's a reason Groundspeak has a ban on caches placed near important pieces of infrastructure-- strange people poking around bridges, electricity stations, tunnels, and the like are always going to be suspicious. Likewise, though there's no outright ban on it, I'd caution against placing caches near areas frequented by children. We all know that we mean no harm, but strangers and strange objects near playgrounds and schools set off instant red flags for many people. Try to place caches in areas of significance-- to share a gorgeous view, or to give a little bit of a history (or geology or biology) lesson. If you hide caches for a reason, you will probably end up in a less-suspicious area anyway.

When seeking:

• Be prepared to say "no". Sometimes, the better part of valor is deciding that it's not worth going after the cache. Like others before have said, this isn't Pokemon. No one's telling you that you've "gotta cache 'em all". If the area around the cache is swarming with muggles, or if you have a bad feeling about it, it's okay to call it off and log a Did Not Find. That's probably more valuable to the game at large than exposing a cache for theft or risking the apprehension of non-players.
  • Put your best face forward-- always. Again, you're representing the entire sport of geocaching, of which most people know very little. When you're en route to a cache, be polite, friendly, and helpful! This starts the moment you get in your car (or on your bike, or when you put on your shoes). Okay, sure, the people on the road don't know you're a geocacher. But that doesn't make it any less important to be an all-around good person while you're representing the game.
  • If you feel awkward, you look awkward. The topic of good "excuses" to give to non-geocachers has been discussed on this board before, as has the similar topic of costumes or props to help throw off muggles while caching. My advice regarding this is simple: If you feel awkward in a "costume", or if the reason you make up for poking around in the brush seems fake, don't use them. If you feel awkward, you will look awkward to others, and an awkward lie draws a lot of suspicion. An example. In the "costume" topic, someone suggested wearing an orange safety vest and carrying a clipboard in order to look "official". Being 17 years old, with a tall and skinny frame, I would never be able to pull that off. I would draw more suspicion wearing a "costume" than I would dressed in street clothes. However, someone else suggested carrying a camera. I'm an avid amateur photographer, so I know how to carry a camera and how to use it-- carrying my camera as a "prop" works for me, because it feels natural. If you're going to use something to throw people off the scent, make sure you're comfortable with it, or else it may catch even more attention.
  • Sometimes, the truth is okay. In the time I've spent geocaching, I've found many more people that I could explain the sport to than people I've felt necessary to lie to. In fact, I haven't found anyone I had to lie to at all yet. That's not at all to say that those people don't exist-- I'm quite sure they do. But you're not required by default to lie about what you're doing. The two or three people I've explained the sport to were genuinely interested, thought it sounded fun, and one of them sounded as though he may even check out the website and try it himself. After I explained what I was doing, we shared some pleasant conversation, said cheery farewells, and went our separate ways, and I had no concern at all for the security of the cache. Go with your gut. If you get the feeling it harm could come to the cache if you told the truth, then go ahead and use an excuse. But if you get no bad vibes, telling an unnecessary lie could end up raising suspicions (this goes with the whole "if you feel awkward, you look awkward" point above).

I have one exception to this, and it's for encounters with law enforcement officers. I haven't had a run-in with the law yet, granted, but I believe the only thing to do in a situation like that is to tell the truth. From everything I've seen and heard, that will often be better for you, the cache, and the game, than lying.
  • Be confident. If you come prepared and do everything you can to minimize concerns, there's not much of a reason why you should feel like you have to dash around in the shadows like a ninja while searching for the cache. Don't, of course, carry a giant neon sign declaring you a "Hunter of Buried Treasure (Follow me for goodies!)", but you shouldn't have to be too incredibly sneaky. Often, trying to be stealthy will draw more attention than looking like you know what you're doing. As with everything, there are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, having confidence and a purpose should ward off some apprehensions.

The list, of course, could go on, but I've eaten up way too much screen real-estate as it is. The point is this-- though our sport is inherently suspicious, by staying aware of how we represent the game, as both hiders and seekers, we can do much to minimize our shadiness and make the game enjoyable for everyone.

Wrong? Seldom. Suspicious? Okay. That happens! I feel just as suspicious feeling up a trail bridge in northwest Jersey as I do searching a staircase in New York City. Just fewer people watching me. Although you can get away with a lot more in NYC! (My normal geocaching area is north Jersey and Manhattan.)

Over time you will find that you just don't care what others think.

I've found that doing things as fast as you can, usually helps.

I try not to linger long, and I'm still trying to teach the wife this.

When we go out, I assess the location and situation.

Today had a prime example. The location was very quiet, but the homeowner across the street was watching.

It is in a small cemetery and while one of us always looked at graves, the other searched.

Otherwise, I generally don't hide my activity. The only time I am careful is when I locate, remove, sign and replace the cache.

Carry a clipboard with you as I do, in some cases I also wear a white hardhat. White for supervisor and any other color is blue collar workers. Something intimidating about a clipboard and or hardhat, you walk into an area with a lot of people when you turn around your all by yourself, most everyone is gone.

Haha, at my last job I was a project engineer for a HVAC company. It required me to go out to many jobs and check on the progress, take notes, answer questions, check blueprints, etc. At most of those jobs I had to wear a hardhat, I also had my Nextel cell/PTT and clipboard/plans. With that getup I could walk onto any jobsite with no questions asked. It didn't take me long to figure out that I could wear the same thing urban caching and no one would take a second look. After that my "job checks" usually ended up with me finding several caches in the local area. :huh:

I've learned that acting like you belong somewhere is a great tool for not only geocaching but life in general. If I saw someone constantly looking over their shoulder and acting suspicious, I'm going to assume there's a reason for it. But if you go about the search like you're supposed to be there people tend to pass you by. Of course there's always the need to protect the cache location so that it doesn't get muggled, but usually a well timed grab takes care of that.

The first several caches I found were out in the woods and I didn't feel weird or anything. When I started doing more urban caches I did get a little uneasy at first but I've gotten over it.

I'll set up a series of caches I want to do as a bookmark list, create a pocket query, and dump it through GSAK. As I go through the caches in the field if I come up to one that may be over run by muggles or what not I'll make notes and flag that one for a come back later.

As for the looking suspicious around playgrounds and parks, walk your dog if you have one. Also works in other areas to like parking lots and convenience stores. We have found this to be effective. Because single guy walking around in park might look odd, but with a dog people are more likely to disregard you because you have a reason to be there. We have pit bulls and dobermans which helps out also. They don't have the cute, cuddly, and "can I pet your dog" appeal other breeds have. People will see us but they also will give us a wide berth :huh:

Edited by geopitbull

We use to feel strange but quickly found out that most people have no clue of what is going on around them. Sad to say but if I can spend 40 minutes lurking around a public area to find a nano on an electric meter, what could someone with ill intentions be doing right under peoples noses.

Edited by WatchDog2020

The latest cache near me is a multi where two stages are hidden in a housing tract, on the Community mail box. (I called a previous finder, and he confirmed the hiding spot). I quit before I ever left my car. There is something about tampering with a mail box, in full view of twenty houses that does not entertain me.

I emailed the kid who hid the cache, but based on the rest of his hides, I doubt he will change anything.

95% of my caches are hidden in areas where you don't look suspicious, or muggles are non-existant.

This one should be archived.

It is illegal to attach ANYTHING to a mailbox. (Yes, even those lost-dog posters are illegal.)

It's a Federal Crime, violators can be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned for up to three years for each act of vandalism.

No, you are probably not going to get the max for a magnetic mint tin, but who needs the hassle?

OK to remove it, just don't put it back.

What's funny is that the more people that are around, the more they don't see you.

If there's one person reading a newspaper in his car at a boat ramp, he's going to see you looking for the cache.

If you're in New York City looking for a key holder on a staircase, and there's 100 people walking past, no one seems to see you.

I take my dog on a lot of caching trips. He's pretty much the perfect alibi, no one tend to give me a second glance... you are just another dog walker really. It helps if the dog is cute too, or has other endearing qualities. Then the muggles just tend to get caught up in petting the animal and forget to worry about what you might be up to.

Caching is a pretty good cover story anyway. I've never been questioned about what I was up to, but when you've got all the right equipment the story fits anyway. GPS, Palm or printouts, plenty of worthless junk to trade, maybe even trackable items. So far as cover stories go, it would be hard to dream up something this good.

I feel like this with every "around town" cache that I do. So much so that I gave up geocaching in cities, and head for the ones I have to hike for. Gets me out into nature and you dont feel stupid/like your doing something wrong cuz no one is there to see you :blink:

...It just feels like I am doing something that would look suspicious.

You are doing something that does look suspicious. However you are doing nothing wrong. I hate the feeling of being watched while caching. Doing something you don't want to be seen doing in a public venue...can feel like you are doing something wrong when you aren't.

Over time you will find that you just don't care what others think.

I've found that doing things as fast as you can, usually helps.

I try not to linger long, and I'm still trying to teach the wife this.

No offense Wapahani, but I strongly disagree with this statement. Not to mention (and I'm seriously not trying to be a smart aleck), the OP joined the website quite some time before you did. :blink:

People such as myself (joined 2003), Kit Fox (joined 2004) and Briansnat (joined 2001), don't seem to have gotten used to what has become known as "stealth". A term which I believe gets quite ridicuously overused these days. I think the OP is talking about caches that put you on display in public, "high muggle factor" caches. Me, I just walk away. I don't have to find every cache. I think KBI said it very nicely earlier:

People such as myself (joined 2003), Kit Fox (joined 2004) and Briansnat (joined 2001), don't seem to have gotten used to what has become known as "stealth".

Yes, but sometimes new (or less seasoned) cachers do have feelings about looking for caches that could be labeled as somewhat irrational for the given situation. I know because I once felt that way.

I do not think it is unusual and over time we learn the difference between stealth situations and simply looking for caches in public.

Edited by BlueDeuce

People such as myself (joined 2003), Kit Fox (joined 2004) and Briansnat (joined 2001), don't seem to have gotten used to what has become known as "stealth". A term which I believe gets quite ridicuously overused these days. I think the OP is talking about caches that put you on display in public, "high muggle factor" caches. Me, I just walk away. I don't have to find every cache. I think KBI said it very nicely earlier:

I never understood the coolness or entertainment factor in pretending that i'm a (spy :blink: ) looking for a "dead drop" containing classified material, behind Walmart, with eight security cameras facing my direction. They are micros, and you're not James Bond. Most caches that mention an increased difficulty due to high muggle factor, quickly get ignored. I say the heck with

I derive far more pleasure in the number of miles hiked, and how many thousands of feet of elevation gain I encountered while looking for a cache.

Personal Best (13.6 miles, 4600 feet of elevation gain)

I never understood the coolness or entertainment factor in pretending that i'm a (spy :laughing: ) looking for a "dead drop" containing classified material, behind Walmart, with eight security cameras facing my direction. They are micros, and you're not James Bond.

You don't; I do.

It's a bit like trying to understand the attraction to jazz. If someone has to explain it to you, then nevermind.

Ah Ha! I finally found a topic where this fits. Tonight on the local news, there was a report on Pervert's Park, which apparently an amature investigator shot a ten minute video and posted it on You Tube.

News feature: http://www.cbs6albany.com/video/?bcpid=113...ctid=1731287434

This is a high profile public park in the 12304 zip code and there are about half a dozen caches in there now.

The report claims that men are seeking out hidden places in the woods for "deviant" activities. Now the local police have opened a full-fledged investigation.

I know that I have felt weird, and many times gotten "the look" from passers-by when coming out of a wooded area from caching alone. Now, as a group, we have one more thing to worry about when being approached by the authorities or citizens. As an older man, I know it's difficult not to be conspicuous hanging around parks and areas where children gather when you don't have one with you.

I think the police would continue to be understanding as long as you have your GPSr in your hand. Although, my concern would be vigilante "bashers" who are just out looking for trouble and can't tell a cacher from a deviant and don't want to take the time to listen to your explanation. Could be serious danger/harm involved.

Or would it be worse to find a couple of deviants unknowingly having their way right at the coords of the cache... ;):(

UncaBee

I know that I have felt weird, and many times gotten "the look" from passers-by when coming out of a wooded area from caching alone.

If someone decides to conclude that I am a pervert based solely on the fact that they observed me emerging alone from the woods, that’s their problem. I can only control my behavior and ensure that I am following the rules; I cannot control what other people think of my behavior. As long as my behavior is perfectly legal I really don’t care what other people think to themselves.

That doesn’t mean you won’t ever be legitimately challenged. Check out this log I posted to a cache I found (under my “CaptRussell” account), describing how I handled just such a situation.

As an older man, I know it's difficult not to be conspicuous hanging around parks and areas where children gather when you don't have one with you.

Maybe, but if you are behaving peacefully, politely respecting others rights, and using the park as intended for a recreational purpose – and if you are Geocaching, you are certainly participating in a wholesome recreational activity – then you have just as much right to be there as all those other folks.

Of course, being a parent myself I understand that anyone in charge of a child’s safety is only doing their duty when they investigate a perceived threat.

If, therefore, you’d really rather not be prepared to explain all about geocaching and rights to anyone who challenges you, then I would recommend skipping that cache. There are other things that make me uncomfortable about certain locations, and I have no trouble passing on a cache if I think my personal discomfort will not be worth the effort.

Oh I absolutely agree, and am always prepared to explain, show the cache container (if I've found it), show off the GPSr and how it works. I've talked to many people about it when questioned and have had several interested audiences.

The problem I perceive coming for us as a group is that the bomb-scare and perv-park issues are a small percentage yet highly publicized. And the more often it happens, will reinforce the negative attitude rather than educate about the sport.

It will make it very difficult to carry on our innocent activity in the wake of more and more people looking at *everyone* as a suspicious lurker. That's what we need to try to prevent.

UncaBee

The problem I perceive coming for us as a group is that the bomb-scare and perv-park issues are a small percentage yet highly publicized. And the more often it happens, will reinforce the negative attitude rather than educate about the sport.

I don’t think those things cause any bad perceptions about Geocaching.

If anything, I think all they do is reinforce the perception that people can be way too paranoid.

The nice lady I described in that online log I linked was right to challenge me when she had a concern – and she was fine with everything once I ‘splained what was going on. What she did was handle me with the same levelheaded reason and common sense that most people would have used. What she didn’t do was call CNN or 911 with a bomb scare or a wild story about children being molested.

If a cacher is politely following the rules and behaving legally, yet people overreact anyway, then whose fault is that?

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m not going to flaunt my rights, go out of my way to look creepy and dare anyone to be afraid, but neither am I ever going to shy away from enjoying this fine and wholesome hobby just because some nervous busybody might have an itchy panic-button finger.