Hiding and 500-foot Rule

HConwi

I am new to this but really dig hiding caches more than finding them. The 500-foot rule makes total sense but is there an effective way of researching previous placements in the target area before I go to the trouble of planting and posting my cache only to find out that it's too close to a previously planted cache? So far I've been lucky... :-))

Currently, I pull up a listing of local caches by entering my zip and inspecting the resulting lists (pages worth!) and GOOGLE map. But I often worry that there is one I have missed...

Thanks for your help!

Hernando

Without being a Premium Member and using a program like GSAK to center the area you are going to when you send caches to your GPSr, what you are asking is difficult . . . Although, someone else might have a different suggestion, beyond finding every single cache in the area and keeping the waypoint in your GPSr when you go out on your "cache hiding" spree.

Like you, I enjoy hiding caches. Before I go out, I get a fresh Pocket Query of the area I am going to. Then I use a nearby cache as the Centerpoint in GSAK and load my GPSr with all the caches, including the ones I have found.

If there is a Puzzle or a Multi in the area, I either have to find the cache and all the waypoints and have those in my GPSr to check Proximity, or check with my Reviewer to see if the "empty space" I see on the map is really empty.

I highly recommend becoming a Premium Member. It really makes caching much, much easier. :rolleyes:

Become a premium member. The $3 is worth it.

Secondly, find out your local reviewers. We have 3 in my area, so I have their email addresses saved in mine.

Then when I find a location I log the COORDS at the spot of the proposed hide. Then a simple email to my reviewer answers the query and I know YES or NO if I can.

I've been shot down a few times, but I found that the simple email will work fast and effectively.

Plus, if you have a private property issue, or other issues, you can address that with your reviewer before you trade barbs in your notes on the cache page!

When you get your coordinates, click "Hide and Seek" a cache. Enter the coordinates, and you'll get a list of the nearest caches. If one is less than 528-ft then you're out of luck. Unfortunately, this method won't locate unknown physical stages of multi- and mystery/unknown caches. If you have lots of those in the area your only option is to email your reviewer.

In the field, it really helps if you have the coordinates for all your local caches stored in your GPS receiver. It REALLY helps if you've solved all the multis and puzzles and stored those points.

Or just place the cache and hope for the best.